Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Cnet and Download

by msorens / September 26, 2007 7:17 AM PDT

Since you've got a new forum here, just a couple rambling thoughts:

(1) Why do I need separate profiles for cnet.com and download.com?

(2) I find the watchlist on download.com extremely useful and well-implemented. Nice that it automatically adds items when I download. Nice that it emails me when updates are available.

(3) Do you have two types of online courses? Over the past year or so I thought I have seen two different visual styles, but lately only one type. The older/other type seemed to be more technical in nature, which I preferred...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cnet and Download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cnet and Download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ah, multiple profiles...
by greatseaape / September 26, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Cnet and Download

I would call the multiple profiles situation a legacy issue, meaning there was a time when Download.com and CNET.com developed our sites separately, not knowing what the other was implementing. Over the past year we've been working very hard to create a single user account across all of our sites. I'm not exactly sure of the status of the project, but I know it's in the works.

Yeah, I love the Watchlist too!

I don't know much about online courses, so I can't help you there. I'll ask around and see if I can get back to you.

Thanks for writing!

Collapse -
Watchlist?
by BrianZachary / September 26, 2007 8:42 AM PDT

Where do I find that? I found the description in my profile page, but I don't remember seeing a link for that on any product description pages. Am I missing it?

Collapse -
Watchlist location
by msorens / September 26, 2007 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Watchlist?

Aha, you noticed! The watchlist is only present in the download.com profile, not the cnet profile. Hopefully the two profiles will become more integrated down the road, as greatseaape indicated.

Collapse -
You misunderstood
by BrianZachary / September 26, 2007 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Watchlist location

The instructions found in my Download.com profile state:

"To add products to your Watch List, go to Download.com and visit a product page (click on any product's name to get there). At the top of the page click "Add to my Watch List." We'll then send you an e-mail whenever that product gets updated."

I visited the page for AVG Antivirus, which I have, but I did not see the link to "Add to my Watch List" at the top or anywhere else on the page.

Collapse -
Oops
by msorens / September 26, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You misunderstood

Sorry; now I am "with" you: What you quoted used to be true until a month or two ago. I assumed they were changing the system but I agree that it is currently broken.

That is what I would call an "enhancement bug" Happy probably due to someone making things "better". (sigh)

Collapse -
Never mind
by BrianZachary / September 26, 2007 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Watchlist location

I just found the thread on what happened to the Watch List. Thanks for your response.

Collapse -
Are there any plans to bring the watch list back?
by citymars / October 22, 2007 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Never mind

We can no longer add items to our Watch List, right? Can you direct me to the thread on why this is so?

Thanks,

Collapse -
That's strange.
by BrianZachary / October 22, 2007 5:57 AM PDT

I know the Add to Watch List link was back on last week. I specifically remember seeing it on one of the product pages. They must have still had to work on it some more.

Anyway, if you are logged in when you download a product, it will automatically be added to your Watch List. After clicking the download link, if you scroll down a little on the page it goes to, you will see what I mean.

To get to you Watch List, go to your profile page and you will see your Watch List. If you don't see something in your Watch List that you know you downloaded, it's because you weren't logged in at the time. If you want any product to appear in your Watch List, you will have to log in and download it. I don't think you have to actually let the download complete for it to be added to your Watch List.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Collapse -
Watch list is coming back
by PudgyOne / October 22, 2007 5:33 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.