Storage forum

Question

Cloud based system but the Database inside the company?

by Gregory_U / February 15, 2013 12:14 PM PST

Is it possible to have a cloud-based system but the data and documents can be stored inside the company firewall on their own servers?

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know this. I've tried to find the answer but I just cant find it so I'd like to ask those people who do know.

I've designed a system that captures the Business Architecture for each business area in a company, but:

1) As a company's key business steps (key steps for each supply / value chain, inc business processes and rules, plus all the other info surrounding what they do and how they do it) is their core competance and is their mission-critical info, and

2) since reading here that cloud-based storage is not always secure,

I want to make sure I'm going the right path before I commit to developing the system.

My plan was to use SSL and encryption while data was being transferred, so is this SaaS and not including storage (STaaS) or am I missing some things you can see?

.. May I ask for your thoughts or guidance on this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cloud based system but the Database inside the company?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cloud based system but the Database inside the company?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Big question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 1:45 AM PST

Is it possible to have a cloud-based system but the data and documents can be stored inside the company firewall on their own servers?

Yes. But it is not possible to tell you all you need to know in this small space. But let's start with making our own cloud server. Here's how -> http://www.linuxforum.com/threads/1260-HOWTO-create-your-own-cloud-server-in-10-minutes

Since you already would be running Linux in your data house, all you need is your OwnCloud.
Bob

Collapse -
cloud-based system,data and documents stored internally
by dualsun / February 23, 2013 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Big question.

Hi Bob

Thanks for confirming it is possible to have a system in the cloud and info/docs in local storage; and apart from setting up my own cloud server, can I ask what are the key steps that need ot be done?

Regards
Gregory

Collapse -
Sorry you can ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 12:03 AM PST

But your needs determine the key steps.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.