Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Closed Captions in burned DVDs

by ccccrafael / April 11, 2006 8:20 AM PDT

I have what has amounted to an annoying problem, but I'd appreciate it if anyone has run across it and found a solution...
I have the XP MCE, and I record a lot of programs with it using the Media Center. Included in the HP bundle was Sonic MyDVD 6, which is decent software, but when I burn the programs to DVD and try to watch them on my Sony player, the closed captioning information that was in the original DVR-MS files is gone.

I have also tried to use the DVD burning from within the Media Center, but haven't had any luck with anything fitting on DVD (I normally record using the 'Good' setting). Plus, with the Media Center software, there are not as many editing options as there are with the MyDVD.

Does anyone know of a way, or a program, that has editing possibilities, and also preserves the closed captioning info??

Thanks in Advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Closed Captions in burned DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Closed Captions in burned DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No love on this one at all?
by ccccrafael / April 17, 2006 10:17 PM PDT

Anyone have any suggestions on how to record the captions into the DVD as subtitles?

Any insights into this problem would be most welcome.

Thanks again in advance.

Collapse -
The unloved.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2006 10:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hey, it's a start
by ccccrafael / April 18, 2006 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: The unloved.

Thank you for the link to the alldeaf forum, it has provided links to many other posts on this topic. Even if I can't solve this directly, I can learn a heck of a lot!

Collapse -
Pay it forward
by ccccrafael / April 18, 2006 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey, it's a start
Collapse -
No slap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2006 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Pay it forward

It's a fine article but falls short of a solution. In fact it's almost like me handing you chunks of metal and sending you into a machine shop to make your own automobile. In fact that may be easier.

Bob

Collapse -
Back to the lab again
by ccccrafael / May 15, 2006 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: No slap.

Revisiting after a brief hiatus... I agree with you point, though the author does bring up some interesting ideas for using the CC information. I've checked out a few ideas, and the most promising are using something called cc_mux in conjunction with ifo edit. I am not sure if doing the ifo edit by itself would do the trick, though I'm fairly convinced that it will not. I've also looked into DVR2WMV which keeps the captions separate from the converted WMV file, but I don't know if there is a straightforward way to remux those into the file for burning to CD. I tried VideoReDo (which has a great commercial skip/edit capability), and they don't have support to preserve the CC just yet. In short, I'm still looking for a good solution, and the dvr-ms files will have to eat my HD space a bit longer until I can find one.

Sorry so long winded....

Collapse -
cc_mux and ifo edit
by ccccrafael / May 24, 2006 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Back to the lab again

Does anyone have experience going this route? I've tried to edit some ifo files for my dvds and reburn them (or burn to HD and then burn to dvd) but they've all been corrupt when I put them in my standalone player -- the initial menu comes up, but clicking on the show I want to watch stops the dvd completely.

I still can't quite figure out why any of the (non-professional) packages implement this.

Collapse -
Will subtitles work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2006 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: cc_mux and ifo edit
Collapse -
A distinct possibility
by ccccrafael / June 1, 2006 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Will subtitles work?

They certainly would... I'm looking into ULead DVD Workship Express, which if it works would be about 50% of the cost of Sonic's stuff.

Now, here's a burning question. My love affair with MS products is lukewarm at best. How about products like Beyond TV or standalone software that comes with the PVR (example, I noticed from another post of yours you record right to AVI). Do these programs share XP MCE's jealously with its closed caption info, or do alternative options such as these make life easier to preserve this information from cradle to burned DVD. I'd definitely even consider something like Myth TV under Linux in a dual boot situation, but that opens another can of worms.

Regarding another prior question -- all this stuff nonwithstanding, even if I find a viable solution to this, if the line 21 data setting in the .ifo file is not activated, will the set-top player even pick up that the info is on there??

Collapse -
Unsure how to answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2006 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: A distinct possibility

While each system has its flaws, line 21 and CC support is, as you found, a missing in action item overall.

-> With the dawn of HDTV this situation seems to be getting worse and not better.

Let me be frank that if this was me I'd look over all solutions and try them out. Subtitles are not CC but it seems to be the way out of this mess.

If you were thinking that there was an easy path from XP MCE to DVD with CC, I have yet to discover it.

Bob

Collapse -
Heck, I'd take a difficult one
by ccccrafael / June 1, 2006 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Unsure how to answer.

I have heard the same reports from others attempting to address this with HDTV. I'm gonna keep that one locked in the basement until absolutely necessary.

Heck, I'd take a difficult way. You know, at first that article on "Adventures in CC with DVR-MS" seemed interesting from an academic standpoint (though your comments were poignant and quite humorous), but if that developer took some time to expand his offerings beyond the trivial, it might be more useful to everyone.

Furthering along in my journey, the dvr2scc program that has been heralded as a possible workaround does not seem to be able to find the CC information in the files. I was thinking of cataloging the extracted CC from my dvr-ms files on CD and being able to reference them manually later.

What I was asking more specifically is when using the "standard" PVR formats -- for example using my card to record to the manufacturer's proprietary software in avi or mpeg with captions intact -- does this make it easier to record these to DVD for use on settop players with CC intact. So in other words: ditch MCE??

Collapse -
Here's why MCE is not for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2006 10:12 AM PDT

It's a solution for them and not for me. All through the software (as user or developer) you feel like doors are locked or something's missing/incomplete.

-> More to the point is this. You know what you want but I don't find a ready to use solution today outside our usual standalone recorders.

Bob

Collapse -
captions to subtitles
by john paull / May 16, 2006 2:06 AM PDT

Depends if they are roll-up captions or pop-on captions. You'd really need to get ahold of the caption file with the timecode intact. For people that do captioning it's fairly easy to convert a pop-on caption to a subtitle. Roll-up a bit more difficult if you want it to look nice.

Collapse -
Packages?
by ccccrafael / May 16, 2006 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: captions to subtitles

I'm not super fussy at this point so the pop-on would be more than adequate... what software would you recommend to do this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.