Samsung

General discussion

closed captioning doesn't work on LN46A650 LCD TV

by mellowmanb / January 15, 2009 5:11 AM PST

I have a Samsung LN46A650 LCD TV. Ever since I had our cable box upgraded to a HD model, when I try to turn on closed captioning on the TV using the remote, the TV says "Not available". In setup, on the TV menu, the closed captioning option isn't even selectable, it's grayed out. The closed captioning worked on the TV when we had our previous cable box. One difference between the two cable boxes is how they connected to the TV. The old cable box connected using a coaxial cable while the new one connects via a component cable. I don't know if this is a factor in the closed captioning not working, but I thought I would mention it. I should note that I am able to get closed captioning from the cable box itself, but the TV still says "Not available" and CC is grayed out in the setup on the TV menu.

Does anyone know why my TV's closed captioning is not working with my new cable box? Have you run into a similar problem with a cable box? Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: closed captioning doesn't work on LN46A650 LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: closed captioning doesn't work on LN46A650 LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cc not working
by stugatsr2 / January 19, 2009 5:12 AM PST

I too had the same b/s I have been told there's an issue with s/sung & motorola stb's.I have only just
recently been able to access cc on the stb remote.I have verizon fios.And you are rite about not being
able to use the s/sung remote cc tab

Collapse -
yep me 2
by RTShaw / January 19, 2009 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: cc not working

lost most control of my fingers & eyes water/spasm 24/7,so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type.

a real pain 4 my mom..wish they'd fix it

Collapse -
CE.org
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 20, 2009 8:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Cable box issue then?
by joan912 / January 29, 2009 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: CE.org

I have never been able to get Closed Captioning to work either. It appears that there is a setting in the cable box that needs to be changed, rather than within the TV, is that correct? (I have Comcast Digital HD DVR Cable Box.)

Collapse -
Yes, correct...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2009 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: Cable box issue then?

joan912,

I might suggest calling the cable company to see if they can walk you through how to enable it. They should be able to help with those issues.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Turning on/off CC or changing font and background color
by Buzzco / February 27, 2015 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Cable box issue then?

Turn the cable box off, hit the menu or settings button within 2 seconds on the Cogeco remote. Select the option for CC. It's a pain, but that's how it goes. For HD, the CC must be done by the originating device, in this case the STB. If you want CC for SD only, if you set the Pace to pass through 480i then the TV may be able to CC those signals, but not always, especially via HDMI.

Simply: turn power off your cable box using your Cogeco remote and hit the settings button withih 2 sec. (Leave TV on.) Mine is a Samsung. A menu will appear. Select the correct option re CC...toggle to turn CC on/off as desired. That worked for me tonight thanks to my son who looked up the info on cable box online. Name: PACE and model no: -----------. I now have CC. (Doing this procedue allows you to select font and background color for CC) WOW!
You may need to research the make/model no. of your cable box if the above does not work. Happy

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
the same problem here
by tommy066 / August 4, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

I have the same problem with my Samsung LN55C610. I used Cogeco for HD cable. I talked with both Cogeco and Samsung today.
It seems that the problem appears because of Samsung TV. I was a huge fan of samsung product before but I think that I will change my position to Anti-Samsung from now on.

Basically Samsung TV blocked the CC of remote control when someone uses it in HDMI, Component, and PC mode. Therefore even a cable company broadcasts CC with its HD or digital channes, Samsung TV just not let us turn on the CC. I believe that it is likely the problem of software as I can allow CC in old my LG TV with HDMI connection. The LG TV controller let me turn on CC in HDMI. So I believe that Samsung should not just transfer their responsibiltiy to ambiguous diagram, but should make a firm ware to solve this problem. It should be not that difficult. Just make CC function in HDMI, Composite, and PC model.

I explained this problem to the Manger of Samsung Call Center in South Carolina and she never listened my voice and kept saying that it should be a problem of Cable box. It does not make sense because I bought HD TV to watch HD and digital channes with HDMI connection for a better picture, but a HDMI connection does not support CC. Then why do I buy a HD TV if I have a hearing problem? CC is a mandatory requirement when a TV manufacturer makes their TV nowadays.

So Samsung makes it possible in an analogue connection and escapes the regulation, but indeed makes a useless HD TVs for someone has a hearing problem. This one actully noted in their manual, but not noted when I bought. It is now a $2000 useless HD picture frame in my living room. In Samsung's world there is no freedom to watch HD channel when someone has a hearing problem.

Collapse -
Did you read the PDF
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2010 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: the same problem here
Collapse -
closed captioning solution?
by BFB41 / January 8, 2011 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: Did you read the PDF

Having read the above posts; is there no way to get a Samsung LN C630 to display closed captioning with a cable service?

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 9:14 AM PST

But if you read the above, it depends on the cable service to put that into their box. HDTV surprised many about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Turning on/off CC
by Buzzco / February 27, 2015 10:21 AM PST

Turn the box off, hit the menu or settings button within 2 seconds on the Cogeco remote. Select the option for CC. It's a pain, but that's how it goes. For HD, the CC must be done by the originating device, in this case the STB. If you want CC for SD only, if you set the Pace to pass through 480i then the TV may be able to CC those signals, but not always, especially via HDMI.

Simply: turn power off your cable box using your Cogeco remote and hit the settings button withih 2 sec. Leave TV on. Mine is a Samsung). A menu will appear. Select the correct option re CC...toggle to turn CC on or off as desired. That worked for me tonight thanks to my son who looked up the info on cable box online. Name: PACE and model no: -----------. I now have CC. (Doing this procedue allows you to select font and background color for CC) WOW!

Hope this helps.
Buzzco

Collapse -
Turning on/off CC
by Buzzco / February 27, 2015 10:23 AM PST

Turn the cable box off, hit the settings button within 2 seconds on the Cogeco remote. Select the option for CC from the menu that appears. It's a pain, but that's how it goes. For HD, the CC must be done by the originating device, in this case the STB. If you want CC for SD only, if you set the Pace to pass through 480i then the TV may be able to CC those signals, but not always, especially via HDMI.

Simply: turn power off your cable box using your Cogeco remote and hit the settings button withih 2 sec. Leave TV on. Mine is a Samsung). A menu will appear. Select the correct option re CC...toggle to turn CC on or off as desired. That worked for me tonight thanks to my son who looked up the info on cable box online. Name: PACE and model no: -----------. I now have CC. (Doing this procedue allows you to select font and background color for CC) WOW!

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Setting CC with HD cable box
by loislane21 / April 23, 2012 6:04 AM PDT

Hey, I had the same problem when I had my box upgraded to HD. If you go to Comcast/XFinity's website and look up the manual for your particular box, it will give instructions on how to make CC available. Mine was a setting that can only be accessed if I turn the box off and then press the Menu button on my remote.

As to CC with Netflix streaming, I just got off the phone with both Netflix and Samsung. Netflix didn't have a clue what to tell me, only that they didn't know how to fix it and suggested I call Samsung. I did and was informed that NONE of Samsung's blue-ray players are being made witih CC ability for streaming, NONE! I just bought mine too.

Sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. If any attorney would like to take it on, please contact me.

Collapse -
Why would it take a suit?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 6:42 AM PDT

This was purposely left out of the laws regarding the move to HDTV.

Not to go over this again but in short, HDTV was languishing in development about a decade ago. The computing of those days could not do HD and get all the usual features in the box for a price that the public would accept.

So to move things along, CC died on the FCC table as it was cut out of the mandates.

Be sure you know who the players were back then.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why would it take a suit?
by loislane21 / April 24, 2012 8:08 AM PDT

If you read my whole comment, you would see that the lawsuit I mentioned has nothing to do with HDTV but Samsung itself and, specifically, their Blu-Ray players, which play closed captioning on DVDs and Blu-Ray, but not on streaming.

Collapse -
And to go along with that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2012 8:15 AM PDT

Samsung does not write the Netflix app. This shocks some and I hope you can see that I'm hoping this will help you list those that did the app along with the government that did not mandate this.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: And to go along with that.
by loislane21 / April 24, 2012 10:53 AM PDT

And again, my post regarding a potential lawsuit has nothing to do with Samsung not working with Netflix or any lawsuit regarding Netflix - that's already being taken care of. My point was the fact that Samsung Bllu-Ray players do not allow closed captioning on ANY streaming, of which Netflix is just one of many streaming companies.

Netflix does actually offer closed captioning on almost 80% of their videos and, according to their website, are working on the rest - thanks to that aforementioned lawsuit involving them. And no where in my posting did I ever even suggest that Samsung had anything to do with writing the Netflix app. You really should read - and comprehend - posts before you reply to them. It seems like you are pulling words out of my posts and putting nonsense up because they don't have anything to do with what I am talking about.

Collapse -
Sorry I was talking about Netflix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2012 12:24 PM PDT

And how the closed caption mandate was dropped.

I don't see how you can put together any legal action if there was no law broken.

Here's a thought. Vote with your wallet and at the polls.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: And to go along with that.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 25, 2012 4:47 AM PDT

loislane21,

The Blu-Ray players have subtitle support, which is for media/disc-medium related technologies.

Netflix offers closed caption options for their PC streaming. Some, though not all, of their catalog offers closed caption options through Samsung products. But if you're looking for that feature for Netflix streaming, they have to add that feature in their App, even if it is on the Samsung player.

If they offer 80% "according to their website", then they would be the ones to back that claim. I can't speak on their behalf.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.