Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

Closed caption problem

by Vitaliy9 / April 19, 2009 9:50 AM PDT

Hi.
I just replased my Sony KP51WS520 projection TV for Samsung LN46A550 and I lost CC from satellite box. I still have it from Cable,DVD, VCR, PC, WD media player. Nothing was change, just switched TV.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Closed caption problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Closed caption problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Closed caption problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 19, 2009 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Closed caption problem

Vitaliy9,

Did you go from using component cables to HDMI?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Depending on the details ....
by Bill Osler / April 19, 2009 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Closed caption problem

Multiple explanations are possible.

How is your TV connected to the cable box?

Are you using component video? Some TVs can decode captions over 480i component video but some (most? all?) Samsung models don't support Captioning when you use a component video connections even though I'm told it is possible to decode them if the cable box outputs 480i. I'm not an expert but my impression is that it is not possible to decode captions over a component connection if the source does any upscaling. IOW, there are some problems/limitations associated with decoding captions over component video connections, and my impression is that Samsung has sometimes (always?) chosen to avoid the complications by ignoring the issue completely.

If your connection is HDMI you will need to set the cable box to decode the captions.

If your connection is composite video or s-video then I presume the TV should be able to decode captions.

Collapse -
Some update
by Vitaliy9 / April 19, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

Hi!
Thank you for the answer.
1. My sat box is not HD and it does not have HDMI.
2. When I switched from componet to composite I have CC back.
3. My old Sony was connected via component and I had have CC.
Do I lose quality by switching from component to composite?

Collapse -
Composite video does lose some quality ...
by Bill Osler / April 19, 2009 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Some update

Some options to consider:
(1) Can your satellite box decode the captions? If so, you might be able to go back to using component cables. If not, you might be able to change the satellite box to one that can do the decoding.
(2) What about using s-video? The would improve quality a bit compared to composite video but should still allow the TV to decode captions. I have not done a side-by-side comparison between component video and s-video to know how much difference there is.
(3) When you switch back and forth between composite and component video can YOU see a difference in picture quality? Depending on the source material and screen size the difference may or may not be obvious to everybody. If YOU are satisfied with the picture quality using composite video then it does not really matter whether component is technically superior.
(4) Is it too late to consider returning the new TV and choosing a replacement that does decode captions from a component signal? If you notice a significant worsening of the image using composite or s-video and if your satellite box does not decode captions then this may be your best option.
Unfortunately, all TV purchasing decisions involve trade-offs of price, quality, features ... so there may not be a perfect solution.

Collapse -
closed captioning wont work on samsung tvs if you have a box
by iheartfirmware / April 25, 2009 2:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Some update

All the samsung tvs with close caption functionality only work when the tv's built in tuner is being used. The tuner is only used if you have cable coming in from the wall, or are connecting an antenna to the coaxial (ant. in) input. All other inputs, even a sat box connected to ant. in, bypasses the tuner because the sat box already 'tuned' the signal and bypasses the tvs tuner, leaving the close caption signal to die in the sat box, unless you enable the close captioning features of your sat box. Same goes for cable boxes.

Collapse -
That is not completely accurate ...
by Bill Osler / April 25, 2009 8:10 PM PDT

My Samsung will decode captions if I send the video from my cable box via composite video, and also if I send the signal from the cable box via coax even if I do not enable captioning in the cable box. In fact, if I use the composite connection and enable captioning in the cable box I have to turn captions OFF at the TV or I get both the captions decoded by the cable box AND the same captions decoded by the TV. The text is identical but it is not in exactly the same portion of the picture, which yields an odd appearance.

What you are describing sounds like a problem involving the satellite box, not necessarily a problem with Samsung. Obviously, if the captions are not there then the TV cannot decode them.

What you are describing is accurate for component or HDMI connections. In those situations you DO have to have the cable/satellite box decode the captions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.