PC Applications forum

Resolved Question

Cloning software

by mopscare42 / November 14, 2012 11:08 AM PST

Trying to clone my hard drive to a new SSD.
The Kingston SSD I bought uses Acronis, but the software won't work with my Alienware computer because the UEFI bios won't let it boot from a CD or USB drive. Anyway, that's what I was told why it's not working.
So I am looking for another program that will work.
What is a good cloning software I can download? Free would be nice if possible.
My neighbor said "Clonezilla" is one, but it is very complicated to use. So want to stay away from that if possible.

mopscare42 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cloning software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cloning software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mopscare42

Collapse -
Clonezilla was easy to use for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Cloning software

But I understand that folk today do not want to use the older style of menu picks.

UEFI is very new stuff and will take the industry a few years to catch up. Here's Acronis with UEFI support.

Collapse -
Thanks Bob.
by mopscare42 / November 15, 2012 3:24 AM PST

That link is what I was looking for.
Acronis has a trial version of the Acronis 2013 and I will only need to use it once anyway.
It appears that Kingston just sends out the old stuff and not in any hurry to catch up.
The guy at Kingston told me the version they send with the SSD is the latest version of Acronis they had. It gives a date on the program as 3/16/2008 which didn't seem right.
I will also look at Clonezilla.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Good Idea, But
by mopscare42 / November 15, 2012 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob.

The trial version of Acronis doesn't give you the "clone" option which I needed, so will go with Clonezilla.

Collapse -
More info about Clonezilla
by joekingsley / November 25, 2012 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: Good Idea, But

I wont have any idea about Clonezilla.I think this is much better option than clone .If you found out more info about clonezilla than please post it.

Collapse -
All you need to do is use google to find it. Why wait
by VAPCMD / November 26, 2012 8:28 AM PST

when you can do it yourself ?

Collapse -
Thanks everyone
by mopscare42 / November 27, 2012 2:58 AM PST

But I have given up on installing the SSD.
There are ways to do it with UEFI, but too many hoops to jump through so will wait awhile.
As Bob stated it will take awhile until the industry cathes up and i'm in no hurry.
My son installed the same SSD using the provided software in his daughters laptop that doesn't use UEFI, it installed with no problems.
He said it was a huge inprovement over the 5400 RPM drive that he removed.

Collapse -
Amen on huge improvement. I under the impression that some
by VAPCMD / December 17, 2012 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks everyone

SSD mfgs are actually providing cloning SW like Acronis with the SSD.

Collapse -
They do but UEFI is a mine field for now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 12:06 PM PST

Given them a year?

Collapse -
partition manager
by mariacateria / December 16, 2012 4:48 PM PST
In reply to: Cloning software

3rd party partition wizard can do it.

it seems that there are many free partition wizard in the software market.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.