Computer Help forum

Question

Cloning

by konakai / July 10, 2013 6:57 AM PDT

I am trying to clone one drive to a new drive. I am using EaseUS Todo Back up 6.0. My computer recognizes the new disc but ask me if I want to initialize it. The cloning software does not recognize the new disc so I only get disc one listed for the source disc and the target disc which of course will not work. I am doing this on a computer that is not connected to the internet. I always thought that if you were cloning from a disc with an OS on it already you did not have to initialize the new disc that it would format during the cloning process. I have never done a clone before so I guess my questions are, 1. Do I have to be connected to the internet to clone if I already have the software on the computer? 2. Do I have to initialize the new disc before the cloning software will recognize it? If not how do I get the cloning software to recognize the new drive?
Any help truely appreciated, Thank You..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cloning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cloning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Details please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Cloning

I can't see what you have to work with and on one of my old desktops you would never be able to clone from the IDE to the SATA drive and have it boot/function on the SATA drive. So that's a dead end and one of a few hundred I know of.

What's wrong with letting it format a target drive?

And why not CLONEZILLA?
Bob

Collapse -
Cloning
by konakai / July 10, 2013 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Details please.

Both drives are SATA the target drive is larger than the old drive and I am using the free version of EaseUS Todo Backup for the cloning process. The cloning software is only recognizing the old disc even though in disc management on my copmputer it is recognizing both disc just prompting me to initialize the new disc but I thought when you clone the new disc it is formatted during the cloning process from the old disc layout?

Collapse -
Your choice then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:34 AM PDT

Without the details I can't see if there is a free version of Acronis to take over.

Sorry if I was unclear about details but about the formatting of the new drive. Why worry about it? Let the software format it if it wants.

And why are you in disc management? There is no clone feature there and it may indeed want to run some wizard format helpful confuser discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
Cloning
by konakai / July 10, 2013 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Your choice then.

I just went into disc management to confirm my disc was being recognized by my computer after I hooked it up.
My issue is that before the software can even start the cloning process it has to recognize the new disc and it is not that is my issue. Does this help? Sorry if my previous rely did not clafiry ..

Collapse -
Not really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:47 AM PDT

The drive must only be seen by the clone software. I use Clonezilla a lot of the time as well as the free Acronis the drive maker supplies.

But for now I'll wait for more details. Maybe this isn't the right software for you?
Bob

Collapse -
Cloning
by konakai / July 10, 2013 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really.

Thank You Bob.
Not sure what you meant by details, The OS, the cloning software etc.. I'm running OS Windows 8 and using EaseUS ToDo Backup free 6.0 for the cloning process.
I'll try the Acronis free version and see if this helps. Thank you for your time sir...

Collapse -
Now that it's Windows 8, there's a BIG POSSIBLE ISSUE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 8:05 AM PDT

In the recent new Windows 8 machines I have to enable CSM in the BIOS and more to effect a clone.

Beyond the details I asked for in my second clarification, because this is Windows 8, the make and model PC should be stated along with your thoughts about BIOS settings needed to clone when EFI Secure Boot is enabled (which it has been on new PCs.)
Bob

Collapse -
Cloning
by konakai / July 10, 2013 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Your choice then.

Meant previous reply sorry..

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Second clarification request.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 7:49 AM PDT

More specifically.

1. Make and model of the new drive.

2. Is the drive seen in the BIOS?

3. Have you used bootable CDs before?

Collapse -
Cloning
by konakai / July 10, 2013 8:05 AM PDT

1. Westin Digital / Caviar Black WD 1002FAEX 1TB

2. Yes the Bios recognizes it.

3. Yes I use bootable CDs when I am wiping old drives

Collapse -
Good. There's a free Acronis for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2013 8:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Cloning
by konakai / July 10, 2013 8:26 AM PDT

Thank you for your support Bob. I will try this and let you know how it goes..

Collapse -
Cloning
by konakai / July 12, 2013 1:33 PM PDT

Bob,
I ended up downloading a cloning boot disc from AOMEI and it read both drives so I was able to select my source drive and then the new drive for the target and produced a good clone of my original drive. I appreciate the time you took to assist me in the right direction. For some reason the EaseUS Todo backup would not read my new drive? But mission accomplished so again thank you sir...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.