Computer Help forum

General discussion

Cloned hard drive won't work in another pc

by Treker / May 11, 2006 7:46 AM PDT

I wanted to change machines in my family and cloned my hubby's hard drive and tried to put it in a new machine that was already running Win XP Prof. It started configuring, I put the drivers in with the CD that came with the motherboard and it won't boot up. I can get it into safe mode, but that's all. Any idea why. The new machine is an MSI k8mm-v with an AMD Cpu in it. The cloned drive is from a p4 cpu - there should be no problem here.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cloned hard drive won't work in another pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cloned hard drive won't work in another pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure there is
by rquesada / May 11, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

Windows is designed to break when doing something like this. It's part of the activation system, designed to cut down on piracy (by annoying paying customers).

You're pretty well SOL on this one.

Collapse -
Cloned hard drive
by Treker / May 11, 2006 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure there is

I had no idea of that! Really? That is a bummer. So if you want to use your exact programs and settings in a new machine, you can't? Any way to get around it? Calling Microsoft?

Collapse -
XP is designed. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 11, 2006 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Cloned hard drive

to work on one machine. Cloning a HD is equal to trying to install XP on another PC from the one CD. It'll fail.

There is software in XP called "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard", but that will only transfer files such as documents, favorites, etc. Programs installed on one machine must be reinstalled on another machine. After you install a new, store bought copy of XP. It's the nature of the beast to cut down on pirating and such. You can only install XP on one machine.

And please don't ask how to crack it, your post will be deleted.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Cloned hd
by Treker / May 11, 2006 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: XP is designed. . .

I wouldn't ask that. I'm just shocked that they do this. I change out my hard drives all the time and now I have to call MS everytime I want to do something like this Sad This time I'm switching cause I need my other pc's faster cpu for dvd's and all my programs are on my big hd's. I bought the new pc on the advice of an "expert" and did NOT get what I needed. Turns out, my hubby has a faster cpu than the "supposed" 64-bit Sempron that was supposed to fly! Yeah right. Anyway, thanks for your info.

Collapse -
The lockdown began in 1995.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2006 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Cloned hd

A new Windows appeared with a new feature called the registry. While purported to herald many benefits it is also used to thwart copying of installed software. Which could be a great thing if you are a publisher. For the end user the answer is simply...

1. Install the OS.
2. Install your applications.
3. Restore your files.

After a decade it's amazing that people keep trying to copy drives and stick them in other machines. (a lot of work!)

Bob

Collapse -
Cloned hd reply
by Treker / May 12, 2006 12:43 AM PDT
Happy I'm either not understanding you or my idea of simple and hard are totally opposite of yours. To me, popping out a hd and putting it in another machine is simple, but reinstalling an OS, installing all programs and restoring all files is "work". Am I missing something there?
Collapse -
You didn't miss much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2006 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Cloned hd reply

The "copy, move a drive" is not working since the OS and applications are now designed to lock onto the original machine.

This was done, not to help you copy and move but to stop blatent and easy copying of the OS and applications. There are (too) numerous instances where such a move almost worked and the owner calls for support.

For me, installing the Microsoft OS and applications is something fairly easy now. But then again I've had too much practice.

-> In your case, if this is an issue have you considered another OS that doesn't have this limitation?

Bob

Collapse -
Time consuming, but easy.
by chuckieu / May 12, 2006 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: You didn't miss much.

The only way to use the same programs on different machines is to install them. That's why I burn all programs I use to disc (the ones I don't have a separate disc of) after downloading. In fact, I always install from disc to make sure the burn was good before deleting program from download area. I update as new versions become available. Hope this helps. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.