PC Applications forum

General discussion

Clone or image - best disaster recovery method?

by jtryan789 / February 10, 2008 2:22 AM PST

I just bought a Seagate FreeAgent external USB 2.0 drive. I downloaded the Seagate DiscWizard vers 10.0 from Seagate site. I want to use DiscWizard to make a clone of my internal hard drive to the external FreeAgent drive (just for back-up purposes, not to boot/run the computer). Would appreciate thoughts on this situation:

1. When I have successfully cloned my internal drive to my FreeAgent external drive for backup pruposes only, in the future will I be able to use DiscWizard to clone the FreeAgent (cloned) drive to a new internal drive (i.e., the FreeAgent external drive serves as a bridge between my old internal drive and new internal drive)?

2. Is there a better way for me to achieve my objective? For example should I be doing disc image vs clone? I am new to these processes and not sure of the difference?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clone or image - best disaster recovery method?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clone or image - best disaster recovery method?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where is that backup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 2:56 AM PST

I see one device or medium here. It has no write protection so it fails 2 points in an accepted list of what makes up a backup.

Your choice on clone or image.

Bob

Collapse -
Clone vs. Image???
by wexmary / February 15, 2008 9:41 AM PST

Here is what I do, with Ghost 9.0

First off, isn't amazing that all the "customizable" desktop PCs will NOT install a 2nd hard drive. My current Dell is 5 years old, Dell would not install a 2nd hard drive so as soon as I got my new PC, I opened the case and installed a 2nd drive.

I also have an external hard drive.

I Ghost my C drive to my D drive and both of them to my external.

I don't know what difference between "clone" and "image" is, to me they sound the same.

Collapse -
Clone or image - best disaster recovery method
by fdm2000 / February 15, 2008 9:44 AM PST

Tom,

I, too have purchased a Seagate (250GB) external HDD. After reading the user manual for the DiscWizard I was confused regarding cloning vs imaging and contacted Seagate. I have had a running dialog with them on several explanatory voids in the DiscWIzard manual - however they are adamant that one cannot clone to an external HDD - this is possible only with an installed second internal Seagate HDD. You will see many discussions where the two terms are used interchangeably, but if you use DiscWizard you can only image the contents of your internal HDD to the external HDD. Read the DiscWizard manual and you will see that disk imaging does essentially everything that you will need to restore your internal HDD with the exception of a couple of items that are of no significance to the restoration process.

Frank

Collapse -
How about running a RAID system?
by skycatcher / February 15, 2008 10:06 AM PST

Ghosts are usually compressed versions of what you have and I'm not sure if you can do daily backups of your work to the ghost.

A Clone is great but still requires daily backups to ensure you don't loose data or anything else you have written or downloaded that day.

With both of these methods you can still looses data / work if you have a crash before you've backed up.

If you run RAID (or possibly a Striping system) your data / work is duplicated across your drives as you save it.

Collapse -
Imaging for me
by DOSpower / February 15, 2008 2:51 PM PST

I have for many years been using imaging using Powerquest Drive Image 2002, which has since been swallowed up by Symantec. Using the DOS based files I have managed to cobble together a boot disk that allows access to USB and Firewire external drives. I can create a fully installed PC image in about 10 minutes or less and complete a refresh of the image back onto the target machine in about 5 minutes. After that I back up all my data files using drag and drop from within Windows.

If you feel comfortable using cloning then I won't argue the point. Whatever works for you, just sharing my personal experience.

Collapse -
Mkaing an Image in NTFS
by sunbeamtalbot / November 9, 2008 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Imaging for me

I too have been using DI 2002 for many years very successfully. What I need it for is to make periodic images of my C drive which only has the OS on it. I have my programs installed to another partition. I have now got a netbook that has no optical drive, ASUS 900HA, and have managed to partition it into a small C and D,E and F for programs, pagefile and storage.

Problem is that Drive Image will not restore to an NTFS partition although I can make an image and store it on a FAT32 partition. I have managed to extract Ghost32 which appears to be corporate version 11 from the recovery DVD but I find the GUI different and not as intuitive as DI. I am a bit reluctant to try and convert to Fat32 as not having done this before I can see a disaster happening

Is there any way I can get DI to work with the NTFS file structure or do I have to use something else like Ghost. Could I use an external HDD and clone to achieve the same - this is not ideal as I like to restore from the within the PC without additional things attached especially as that I why I got the netbook for traveling light.

Thanks

Collapse -
Your post seems to warrant a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2008 11:07 AM PST

Have you researched G4U? It can FTP out and in an image so that relieves a lot of the headaches over external drive formats. While some may fault it for the lack of a mouse or GUI that is a strength since there is less parts to fail.

This is not an offer to teach G4U or to dream up what can be done with it but if I had to approach cloning such a machine it's the first one I'd reach for.
Bob

Collapse -
Confused
by sunbeamtalbot / November 9, 2008 11:48 AM PST

What is G4u and not sure what FTP out means. But basically I do not want to "clone" but image. But then again am not sure of the true distinction between them.

I only periodically \want to make an image predominantly of the C drive particularly when I have installed something new etc. This is not an everyday operation so I guess I am a bit reluctant to learn new software but command line operation does not scare me.

Does G4U operate from within the OS or does it require booting to DOS

Could you point to some more info on it

Thanks

Collapse -
Not an offer to write a tutorial.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2008 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: Confused

Just hit google on G4U. It's a very nice program that has some strong capabilities and it can clone, and it can clone to another drive, clone that to an image, and it can do it to a drive or over a network. But there I go and duplicating the web.
Bob

Collapse -
OK I have googled it
by sunbeamtalbot / November 9, 2008 12:04 PM PST

It appears that I need to have a floppy, FTP and server. I have none of these available.

Referring to my original post I would like to make and restore an image from within the netbook without extraneous equipment. This is what I currently do with my desktop. If needs be I can make a bootable CD of the image but to date I have not had the need for it. My current procedure can be done in a matter of minutes and to my thinking very simply using Drive Image. What I would like to know is is it possible to do this with Ghost32 V11 in a like way? As I last resort I could convert the file system to FAT32 but am reluctant to do this as I can forsee problems.

Collapse -
Then you need to create a new paradigm
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2008 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: OK I have googled it

You have dismissed all software made to date. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

In parting I can run G4U from a memory stick which to me would get the job done.
Bob

Collapse -
Where to from here........
by sunbeamtalbot / November 10, 2008 5:25 AM PST

"..You have dismissed all software made to date. "

I joined this forum because I respect the formidable ability and generous responses

I am not presumptuous enough to say that I know about all software indeed I am probably only aware of perhaps less than 1% of that available.

All I am trying to achieve is the ability to have an image on the local HD that I can access without additional things eg USB sticks, external HDD, networks etc. My abilities in these areas are limited but I had no problems with DI 2002 working from my pc from a partition.

Good luck to you that you can run from a usb stick you are obviously immensely more talented than I am

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2008 5:50 AM PST

But look at today's offerings and your goal. There is no exact fit.

This is why I offered something I use that could "get it done." But it doesn't meet your goal.

-> So what else is there to do but call it what it is?
Bob

PS. I am not more talented than most. However I will use solutions that work for me and will not dismiss using a stick where it will help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.