Computer Help forum

General discussion

clock losing time on laptop

by gbook55 / November 11, 2007 5:47 AM PST

My HP DV6113US running XP loses time on the start bar clock if it does not have either AC or a battery attached to the unit. When I say losing time I mean hours over just a day. If you leave the battery pack or AC attached, it keeps perfect time. Shouldn't the internal CMOS battery keep the correct time even if there is no other power source attached? I have at times put the laptop in the bag without a battery attached and left it for several days, usually in hibernate. Should this have caused the CMOS battery to deplete? The unit is less than a year old and still has a month of warranty. Would you suggest I send it in to HP, or is there something here that might be an easy fix without having to give up the computer for two or three weeks?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: clock losing time on laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: clock losing time on laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CMOS battery
by BrianZachary / November 11, 2007 6:27 AM PST

Have you tried changing the CMOS battery?

Collapse -
cmos battery
by gbook55 / November 12, 2007 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: CMOS battery

No, I have not tried to replace it. As I asked in the previous post, is it natural for this battery to wear out this quickly? Also, is it something that I should let HP deal with since it is still under warranty? It looks fairly easy to replace on my unit, but is it simply a matter of disconnecting the old one a reconnecting the new? Will this process affect anything else, such as the BIOS? Thanks for the reply!

Collapse -
lets call HP
by v_2vinch / November 12, 2007 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: cmos battery

i would strongly suggest you contact HP because its still under warranty....well , to answer your question of whether it will affect bios, my answer is yes and no...

the safe bet would be to contact HP and let them take it over ...

Collapse -
CMOS battery life
by mjd420nova / November 12, 2007 8:05 AM PST

I've seen this happen on a few units, whether from the unit being in the warehouse for a long period before being sold or a defective battery holder or the cell may have just become jarred loose. The sole purpose of that battery is to keep the clock running when the unit is shut down and to hold the BIOS settings. You may have one of those rare units that needs no changes to the BIOS to function properly so other than the clock being out of time you might not notice any other failures. The battery is not that easy to replace so it needs to get warranty service

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.