Computer Help forum

General discussion

Click on link in email nothing happens! No response

by K9er / March 9, 2010 1:02 AM PST

Hi All,
I'm using XP and Thunderbird for email. When I click on a link in my received emails it won't go to the link, any link. I tried it in IE and same result. I reinstalled XP and still nothing. Suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Click on link in email nothing happens! No response
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Click on link in email nothing happens! No response
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is actually a GOOD thing
by Jimmy Greystone / March 9, 2010 1:48 AM PST

This is actually a GOOD thing. While Thunderbird is significantly safer than Outlook/Outlook Express, that's no excuse to get sloppy with safe computing habits. Which includes NEVER clicking on a link in an email.

Doesn't matter who the email appears to be from, how legit it seems, NEVER click on links in emails.

You want to COPY AND PASTE the link into your web browser, and then inspect the result to make sure it matches up with what you saw in your email client. If there's any kind of discrepancy, DO NOT VISIT THAT SITE!

Even after it's passed that cursory inspection, be cautious. I don't care if the link was from your best friend, and they tell you they're sending a link to some site. You never trust it.

Collapse -
Tried This Fix Yet?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 9, 2010 6:25 AM PST

To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
Quit all programs that are running.
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

Windows XP and Windows 2000 only
Restart the computer to enable the changes to take effect.

For other suggestions, see the link below:;en-us;281679

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Nothing Happens
by K9er / March 9, 2010 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: Tried This Fix Yet?

Hi Grif,
I tried all of your suggestions, none worked. Some said Library can't be found.

Collapse -
Sounds Like You Typed Them Incorrectly Or...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2010 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing Happens

...if the files are actually missing, then you need to replace them with a repair install.

As to the correctly command, be sure to leave a single space between the "regsvr32" and the "urlmon.dll".. Like wise for all the other .dll files listed.

The article mentioned earlier also tells you to verify correctness in the registry for handful of registry entries. Did you do so?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
No Links
by K9er / March 11, 2010 7:14 AM PST

Hi Grif,
I have tried every fix possible, i just don't know what's next! If I'm in my email program it works, but in Thunderbird or Gmail it won't work!

Could reinstalling XP help?
I reinstalled a different version of Thunderbird also -no good.

Collapse -
Help How do I do this?
by K9er / March 11, 2010 11:04 PM PST

Hey Grif,
If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
Name: (Default)
Value: IDispatch
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.