Laptops forum

General discussion

Click noise in brand new Asus laptop.

by roh / June 25, 2008 5:41 AM PDT

I just got this brand new Asus notebook yesterday. Model is M50SA-X1.
OS is Vista Home 32 bit.
Whitin 2 hours it started to make a very annoying click noise every 20 seconds at minimum and 5 minutes maximum. The noise is NOT coming from the speakers but from the inside.
The noise is just a faint click and I just realized that it is EXACTLY the very same noise that you normally hear when you turn off the laptop and at the very last second it makes a final faint click.

I have not installed anything, just windows updates.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Click noise in brand new Asus laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Click noise in brand new Asus laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Watch the HD activity LED
by Steven Haninger / June 25, 2008 5:50 AM PDT

See if the clicking is associated with that. As such....perfectly normal usually. The OS and other apps do things in the background that activate the HD heads.

Collapse -
No
by roh / June 25, 2008 6:20 AM PDT

Thanks but no. The noise happens at anytime and it is not related to the HD Led.

Collapse -
Make that call now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

You want to lodge this complaint FAST. And make a note when and WHO you talked to. Support has been iffy on the no-names and some end up owning a machine with an annoying quirk.

If you don't feel good about this, contact your credit card company and start the complaint there as well.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes
by roh / June 25, 2008 5:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Make that call now.

Thanks Proffitt,

Credit card has obviously been charged already and there is nothing I can do.

The sound is annoying, it is more like a "popping" than a click. I bet it is the hard drive.

Contacted newegg.com they say I have to send the laptop back to them and they will try to fix it, if they can't they will replace it, the whole process will take up to 3 weeks!!!
Not only they took 1 week to deliver the laptop (I payed for 2 days UPS delivery)now it will take up to 3 weeks more. What a shame. Never buying from this company ever again.

Collapse -
Charged = GOOD NEWS!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2008 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

You can call the credit card company and still lodge your complaint that you have a defective unit and that 3 weeks to fix a new machine is unacceptable. You want your money back so your CC is the fast track as they know this area well.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by roh / June 26, 2008 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Charged = GOOD NEWS!

Thanks again Bob,

My card is a Bank Of America visa debit card. Should I go and present the complaint in the bank?
This is the first time something like this happen to me.

By the way contacted Asus support and was told that people complaining from hard drives noises is like people complaining from dead pixels, according to the representative this is nonsense. Asus, now you are another company that I will never deal with again.

I have tried everything:

Mute the speakers.
Plug headset.
Unplugg power and let it run on battery.
Open the DVD drive and let it opened for a while to see if the noise came from it.
Updated BIOS to latest version.
Updated audio driver.
Installed windows updates.
Plug and unplugg mouse to see if there is any difference.

I must make clear that I did not install any program in the laptop.

NOTHING WORKS.

Bottom Line: STAY AWAY FROM NEWEGG.COM AND ASUS.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2008 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I can only work with your words and see it's a debit card. There is still some hope as you call the phone support number for your card. Call it as it is. A defective product you want to return and get full credit for. Keep your cool, never yell or burn your bridges. Just ask for you money back to go shopping again.
Bob

Collapse -
They are ready. EGGCELLENT.
by roh / June 26, 2008 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Bob, thanks for your time.

Look at this and "enjoy" (from newegg.com):

Summary

Return for refund within: non-refundable

Any Desktop PCs/Notebook/Tablet PC that is deemed defective may be returned for a replacement within 30 days only, but a request for refund will not be granted.

Once received, notebook / laptop RMA processing time can take 2 - 3 weeks from the date RMA is received. Transit time is not included in this timeframe.

AND NOW THIS IS THE TRANSCRIPT OF MY CHAT WITH A NEWEGG.COM REPRESENTATIVE:

Martin: Hi, How can I help you today?

Hernan: I just got this brand new Asus notebook yesterday. Model is M50SA-X1. OS is Vista Home 32 bit. Whitin 2 hours it started to make a very annoying click noise every 20 seconds at minimum and 5 minutes maximum. The noise is NOT coming from the speakers but from the inside.

Hernan: knowledgeable person already told me it is a failing hard drive

Martin: Let me take a look into that. One moment please . . .

Hernan: ok

Martin: Do you have all the retail packaging & accessories the item originally came with?

Hernan: absolutelly

Martin: Let me take a look into that. One moment please . . .

Martin: I have issued you an RMA for a Replacement. Everything you need to know has been emailed to you. Please allow 5 - 10 minutes to receive your email confirmation with the instructions. Once we receive the package and the RMA has been fully processed, you will receive a confirmation email. Please also verify your shipping address for processing. (If your address has changed, please reply back with changes and we can update your RMA.)

Hernan: excuse me, how long this whole process will take?

Martin: Once received, notebook / laptop RMA processing time can take 2 - 3 weeks from the date RMA is received. Transit time is not included in this timeframe.

Hernan: it gotta be a joke, 3 weeks???

Hernan: plus transit will make it up for 1 month

Martin: I do apologize for the inconvenience but that is the processing time for all notebooks.

Hernan: i understand it is not your fault, but it is unacceptable 1 month to send me back a brand new laptop is just crazy

Martin: Do you have any other questions, or is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Hernan: no, thats it thanks

Martin: Thank you for contacting us. I hope you have an Eggcellent day!

"EGGCELLENT DAY" Rrrriiighttt. This company gotta be kidding me!!

Collapse -
HD defrag
by roh / June 28, 2008 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Bob (or anyone in the know), if you read this, I'd like to comment:

Today I run the disk defragmenter that comes with windows, it took 2 hours and a half (250GB), the freaking noise didn't happen in the process. But then and as soon as the process was finished it started again as usual. I hate Asus and I hate newegg.com

Do you have any comment on the above described incident?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: HD defrag

Make the call. Looks like this Bud's not for you (umm, Asus.)

It's a shame that makers are using us as crash test dummies...
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by roh / June 28, 2008 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch.

Bob thanks.

I'm screwed up. I have 2 laptops now, 1 is this brand new piece of crap with its defective HD.

The other one you know is the one with a dead HD (the one I want to replace).

I don't live here in the states, I travel a lot and I will not be able to take advantage of a RMA because I will not be here in 1 month when the "fine gentlemen" from newegg decide if they will send me a new one.

So, I'm left with 2 useless laptops... well, at least this asushit is still working (if we ignore the damned noise).

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ok

But what happens in one thread has little to do with another. I tend to never connect two unless it dawns on me that we are chatting about the same issue/problem/chunkofhardware/etc. I like newegg but have no good words for the no names. I also admonish people to not take stuff out of the country of origin unless they are willing to risk it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.