Windows 7 forum

Question

Clear Type Issues

by Yaron2011 / January 31, 2013 2:47 AM PST
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clear Type Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clear Type Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Clear Type Issues

Sorry but given you disabled clear type, all I can do is agree this does happen.

Did you need a discussion about how there are only so many pixels and how clear type works to make the best possible display?

This was a software solution to make the best of what pixels are there.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Yaron2011 / January 31, 2013 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: TRUE!

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your help.

If I understand you correctly, there's no solution to this issue. Is that right?

I've been trying for over a month to fine-tune Clear Type, but whatever I do it doesn't look good.

I'm not sure I got what you meant by "a software solution". Could you elaborate please?

Collapse -
Clear Type was and is software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

It is a solution to improve what happens when you just pop fonts on screen without using a fixed font that lands perfectly on the LCD matrix.

Here's a wikipedia on LCD Native Resolution and Clear Type.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Type

Today you see Apple offering "Retina Displays" that solve this issue by adding a lot more pixels to the display.

As this could go on for hours in a presentation or class, I have to stop here. We are covering technology, limits of displays and workarounds. The only cure without clear type is to get more pixels per inch.
Bob

Collapse -
I see below there are FONT issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 6:08 AM PST

Those issues are, well, legendary. FONT SUBSTITUTION in windows is a tricky thing. I see you changed those entries so my thought is the substituted font is more to your liking.

As you read the above links, ClearType was not turned on in XP and if you do research into the default and substituted fonts in Windows 3, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7 and now 8 you learn one thing. -> It's inconsistent. <-

You can't move from version to version and expect the same display. Also, if you don't have a printer driver installed and a default printer selected, more troubles. I'll leave you to ponder why that is.
Bob

Collapse -
More pixels per inch
by Yaron2011 / January 31, 2013 7:52 AM PST

Thanks again Bob. I really appreciate your help.

I've read the articles in Wikipedia, and it's quite complicated for a layman.
Did you mean changing the DPI from the Control Panel? I've raised it to 108% and it didn't help.

Best regards.

Collapse -
No. We can't change DPI on a LCD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: More pixels per inch

The dots per inch on a LCD are fixed. The only way to change them is to change the LCD. This is why we must select the windows resolution to be what the LCD offers. It's also why ClearType was created. To cheat a little and use subpixel rendering.

You asked a good question but the answer is going to take a lot of explaining.
Bob

Collapse -
I appreciate your kindness
by Yaron2011 / January 31, 2013 11:06 AM PST

Allow me to thank you again. I appreciate your kindness.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: clear type
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Clear Type Issues

And how does it look if you enable ClearType again?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by Yaron2011 / January 31, 2013 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Re: clear type

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your help.

I don't like Clear Type in general, but that particular page looks better if CT is enabled.

I've also changed the following Registry values:
(It solves the problem in some pages. Microsoft Forum for example).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
"Segoe UI (TrueType)"="segoeui.ttf"
"Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="segoeuib.ttf"
"Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuii.ttf"
"Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuiz.ttf"
"Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"="seguisb.ttf"
"Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"="segoeuil.ttf"
"Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"="seguisym.ttf"

To-
=""

so, at this stage I'd rather not enable CT again and post the screenshot.

BTW, in Win xp I don't have the problem even if CT is disabled.

Collapse -
Thank You Kees
by Yaron2011 / January 31, 2013 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re: clear type

My last post was in reply to you. I couudn't find the Edit option in this forum. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.