Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion Internet services

by tuffel57 / October 30, 2010 8:37 AM PDT

There's a new company out there,, promising 3-4G wireless internet service to replace your dsl or cable hi speed internet. anyone know them and have an experience to share? I'm currently with a cable service. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet services
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet services
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2010 2:54 PM PDT

You can get such from Sprint, Cricket and others.

It's not that bad for those that can't get cable, dsl, fiber but BEWARE THE CAP.

Most plans give you 5GB a month when is blown past with any video or online games.

Collapse -
by bill012 / October 31, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

Your first question would be are you in their coverage area and then do you get enough signal that it actually works. Clear and Sprint jointly own the network but sprints web site have better details on the coverage maps.

I have used the sprint package and it works well when it works. The issue is that like any radio based service many things can affect your quality so even things like weather can cause your signal to vary from day to day.

Also read the fine print very very carefully. Sprint does offer a true unlimited plan with the huge restriction that you must always be using 4G and not roam to 3G. Sometimes it will switch to 3G on its own if it cannot get enough 4G signal.

They have a way to go to really compete with the high end cable system. Stuff like Att uverse and verizon fios are still much faster. 4G is much faster than the low end DSL systems but you will see much higher latency in the first hop and so it depends on your application.

Maybe with verizon getting into the 4G market in the next few months things will change. I suspect in the long run the wired forms of internet will still be the fastest and cheapest for those that can get them. The main market for 4G are smart phones but I suspect many people with smart phones will opt to drop their home internet to avoid pay 2 internet bills. Will all depend if the 4G vendors continue to offer uncapped internet.

Collapse - Internet services
by musicman195959 / November 7, 2010 9:53 AM PST

I use to have AT&T DSL service but i ended my services. I did not like their billing practices and their dsl service was horrible. I looked up on the internet and checked their coverage map. I only had to enter my zip code and their map showed if i would get their coverage. I contacted them and they were great in assisting me. They even talked me through the process of installing their installation USB flash drive and 4G Mobile USB. It was real simple,i had to go into my laptop and erase AT&T and enter clears internet service. They spent over an hour talking me through the process. I'm no computer wiz by the way. It was fun. I chose their mobile plan. I pay $44.43 a month. There was no installation charge or early termination fee. Also i have unlimited usage. I have just paid my first bill and could never be happier witha internet service. Their customer care department is totally awesome. Look them up. Take care and good luck.

Collapse -
clear sucks plain and simple
by supatruka / November 8, 2010 1:10 PM PST

i have had them two months the first two weeks were so so and have had capping issues. although they claim to be unlimited ...i have been told by customer no service to stop streaming netflix in order to increase my speeds

Collapse -
Never,Ever Take Clear internet connection
by greatreddy / November 12, 2010 5:21 AM PST

Never,Ever Take Clear internet connection
Never,Ever take a clear connection,This is the one of the worst internet service provider and they know the best way of cheating the customers,I have taken internet connection and called them to cancel it and the customer care person said it cancelled and i checked my bill after one month it was not there and i thought it cancelled,I check my credit card bills after 4 months and saw they started billing me again after one month,When i called then they started telling me stories saying like I called them on saturday and the account dept is closed on saturday so they cannot disconnect it and they kept it in hibernation for one month and activated it automatically,If they are not going to cancel it on saturday why the they give the option to cancel on customer care contact number,If they kept it hibernate is there any where on website they mention it and also they never bothered to send me a mail when they activated,and also there customer care is also one of the worst and they even don't know the next step to help customers.finally never take Clear service.

Collapse -
Clear was an expensive nightmare
by MOMREV1 / November 23, 2010 3:47 AM PST

I purchased a new laptop with Clear's modem in it, thrilled with my cool and portable access for the internet. Before purchase, the online zipcode inquiry said I should have signal, but my home had a max of one bar - indoors or out. Clearly unacceptable. Within a week, I called to cancel and was informed that they would send me mailing labels to return the modems (extra ones came in the package). I never got the labels. (Later, I reckoned that they sent them by email to the address that I never accessed because I had no signal...) I got charged for a couple of more months, then I noticed the debit and called again. This time I requested that they send the label to my static email and I got it. Right away I sent back the modems. Still they debited my account. I called and they told me I hadn't returned one modem....Duh. It is built into the laptop! This had to go up a level to a supervisor to get them to stop debiting my account. And they have never come through with a rebate for the months of service I was never able to use. Frustrating and expensive.

I have been told that the broadband signal doesn't travel as far as a phone signal, but that they are using phone towers. Somewhere between the towers, the signal fails/fades, but they don't really know where those spots are....

Now Verizon is trying to sell me a five point wireless broadband service. I am skeptical.

Collapse -
Stay away from Clear if you need a true unlimited high-speed
by HankMap / May 30, 2012 3:11 AM PDT

I have tried to use CLEAR for a couple of months. Finally I had to switch back to COX. Clear is not a true unlimited high-speed Internet service! You may get the decent speed at the first week of each billing cycle, and then your internet speed could be dramatically slowed down (actually useless) if you have used certain amount. I am very sure that we are not a very heavy user for the internet. Occasionally we do watch streaming movies (but average about one hour for each day). I tried to call the customer service, but it's absolutely no help at all. They told me that maybe there are too many people in my area using CLEAR and we all need to share the same tower. They even asked me if I know how many people in my neighborhood were using CLEAR. What the hell I could know that? Also, After I switched to COX and called to cancel my CLEAR, the new billing cycle for the CLEAR just started less than a week, but they still need to charge me for the whole month even I don't use it at all (actually unplugged the Clear Modern). If you only browse the internet occasionally, Clear should be all right. If you need to have a reliable unlimited high-speed internet, Clear is clearly not able to provide that at this point. Dealing with Clear's customer service is also a very unpleasant process.

Collapse -
Clear is the worst company in the world
by 47josecnet / March 1, 2013 7:20 AM PST

Want to talk to twenty slaves who don't know anything, and whom you cannot understand? Well, you can't do better than Clear Wireless. Clear stole four hundred dollars from us. Took the money, never provided one gram of service or product. company that is only good for treating American customers like dirt, and exclusively employing terrified slaves on the other side of the world. I repeat: Clear stole four hundred dollars from us.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.