TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Clear-Cast antenae reviews

by davhil / February 18, 2012 1:28 AM PST

Has anyone bought a Clear-Cast Indoor antena that enables you to receive over- the- air digital signals for free?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clear-Cast antenae reviews
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clear-Cast antenae reviews
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2012 1:49 AM PST

Sorry but just like the days of yore, your performance may vary with LOCATION, Location and location. One antenna may work better than the next and even I tried a cheap antenna (picture at http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/HDTVantenna.png ) before I bought a real one.

Results? I got 2 more channels with the store bought antenna.
Bob

Collapse -
Antennas
by mjd420nova / February 22, 2012 9:13 AM PST

Forget the indoor antenna, it won't give you anything beyond ten to fifteen miles range. Even a cheap one outside will work better. Forget the amplified ones too. Now if you could mount one in an attic if outside doesn't work for you. Get it a high as possible.

Collapse -
Clear Cast X1 Price and Other Issues
by Matthew Ware / March 23, 2012 2:42 PM PDT

I am reviving this thread because a Clear-Cast X1 ad appeared in today's issue of USA Today. Brilliant Built Technologies appears to be positioning the Clear Cast X1 against the Mohu Leaf, another small thin antenna. Understand that you cannot expect exceptional results for VHF channels on a small antenna. Most OTA channels today are UHF. However, there are still a significant number of full-power Hi-VHF channels in use and even a small number of full-power Lo-VHF channels. There are many more low-power VHF channels. You need an antenna that is designed to receive your mix of channels at your location.

I will not come right out and say that the Clear Cast X1 is a rip-off. I am, however, concerned that its ads are somewhat misleading. I am even more concerned that the Brilliant Built Technologies website does not list a price for the antenna. As of this writing, a YouTube video on the site has been withdrawn by the owner. Elsewhere on the Internet, I have found prices for the CC X1 ranging from $17 to $38.

If you have a vice, a hammer, a pair of pliers, a 40-inch length of steel wire, and 30 minutes, then you can construct an excellent antenna as good as the Mohu Leaf. I have no knowledge that the CC X1 is not as good, but I am not willing to spend the asking price to find out.

Collapse -
Build an atenna with 40" wire
by scalper86 / April 26, 2012 7:43 AM PDT

What do you connect the steel wire to on the TV? I have mixed results on 3 different TVs in my house. A Radioshack amplified atenna seems to work best, but depends on the room too.

Collapse -
Cannot cancel order
by bloomripoff / May 27, 2012 7:38 AM PDT

I am from Bloomington, IL, and I placed an order on Friday 5/25. Based on the review forum, I called Clear-Cast ordering department today 5/27, and they refused to cancel my order. I was told to call customer service which is not open for calls until Tuesday, 5/29. How do you like that for busness practices! I did call my credit card company to stop payment on these jerks.

Collapse -
I work for the sales dept - it IS a rip off
by HyperDream23 / June 3, 2012 5:10 AM PDT

It's a $12 antenna from Walmart basically, with misleading ads marketed in areas generally that are poor and undereducated. Customer service is staffed by 12 people, who also handle Heat Surge (the Amish fireplace scam) and World Reserve Monetary Exchange (the uncut money, coins and safe scam). they're also taking sales calls. this company is owned by Arthur Middleton Capital Holdings from Canton, OH. They got shut down this year while the FBI/IRS and Secret Service raided them.

Collapse -
CLEARCAST vs Antenna
by THEBIGO1217 / March 25, 2013 3:56 AM PDT

From what I read it doesn't sound good. Go to RADIO SHACK and buy the $99 antenna for outside a tripod or gable end mount. I receive 25 to 30 channels in the Buffalo area. I spent more than most as I wanted all NEW cable ect.. $300.00 which has paid for itself. All channels com in HD if they are HD. Sweet. I also get Channel 5 out of Toronto 2 plus hours away

Collapse -
300?
by LAHL4A / April 3, 2013 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: CLEARCAST vs Antenna

What did you sped $300 on and how many channels do you have? I am in the Washington, DC area

Collapse -
clear cast
by miru123 / September 20, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

Would NOT receive signals in central PA. Customer service said too many mountains in small town. Wasted $16+ in
shipping that company doesn't cover.

Collapse -
Junk, do not buy this product!!
by Mrfixit1308 / October 17, 2014 9:03 AM PDT

I made the mistake of buying three of these. They are absolute junk, and are completely worthless. If they dont allow me to get a refund, I will be filing a complaint with the BBB, and the division of consumer affairs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.