Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Clear 4G WiMax Modem & Linksys Router

by CassilineKnight / November 6, 2009 12:27 PM PST

Okay I just got Clear and have set it up in my house.

I got the Clear Modem (Motorola modem) which is connected thru an ethernet cable to the Clear Voice (VoIP Adapter) which is then connected thru a second ethernet cable to my Linksys WRT610N.

Now I've got all the laptops and stuff connected to the Linksys router. That's fine and all. Upload and Download speeds are fine. Especially considering that the service just launched where I'm at (Raleigh, NC).

However the main issue I'm having is that it seems like webpages are loading slowly. Sometimes it's decent. A lot of times it takes forever. We tried going to Mapquest tonight and it still didn't load after 6 minutes. I finally gave up and went to Google Maps and got directions there and it was fine.

So I'm here asking for advice on what I can do to get the internet to be as fast and quick when it comes to loading webpages as it was with Time Warner Cable.

I know DHCP is enabled on BOTH devices. Everywhere I've gone to says that this is not what you want. My confusion though is WHICH device I should disable DHCP for. And if I do that will I need to do anything else to ensure that my wireless network is okay?

Last but not least aside from the DHCP being enabled on both devices I think both devices also have firewall security and NAT capability. So should I disable the firewall too for the device that I disable DHCP for?

The reason I'm concerned is because my 360 Elite is plugged directly into the Linksys router with an ethernet cable and it still took about an hour to download a 1.69 GB demo from XBox Live....

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Clear 4G WiMax Modem & Linksys Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Clear 4G WiMax Modem & Linksys Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On a different Note
by kfobian / November 26, 2009 4:07 AM PST

Sorry to jump in like this, I am hoping you could help.

I was reading one of your other threads, and realized that you might have the answer to my problem. Your thread was about your wireless connect, but the sentence that got me thinking was this one "So what's the issue though? Does Windows 7 not like passwords or something? Again I promise you guys that I was entering in the right passphrase."

I just installed win7 and it seems that win7 doesn't like any of my passwords, I have several FTP accounts that Dreamweaver handles and of course Outlook handles my pop/smtp password.

None of them seem to stick, the moment I close and re-open the application the password is gone.

I was hoping that the fix you found for your wireless connection would give me a clue.

Would you please share how you did it.

Thank you

Kent

Collapse -
DHCP
by FutureIsClear / March 24, 2010 8:08 AM PDT

If you want to disable DHCP on one of your devices i would advise you not to disable it on your router, this will keep access to your wireless network protected. If you have problems with speed however, but you're still able to access internet, than i don't think your problem is with double DHCP protection. My suggestion is to disconnect router and check your Upload and Download speed with modem alone, once you record your findings, reconnect router and check UL & DL speeds again.If both of these test are similar in speed range, your problem lays somewhere else, most likely internet connection.
Since i'm selling Clear services myself, i would like to advise you to call Clear Costumer service and ask for technical support dept., have them locate the nearest tower and check your IP along with DNS. Also you can have them redirect your modem to another tower. I have had clients with excellent signal strength but horrible speeds. Clear's system needs tweeking sometimes as some of my clients don't have greatest signal strength but very good speeds. Have Clear tech support work harder for the money you pay them, and they will as i talk to them frequently on behalf of my costumers. Take in consideration fact that sometimes service just dont work as we wish.
I personally check speed and coverage for all my clients before they decide to sign for Clear services, lots and lots of frustration is avoided that way for both, my clients and I

Check out my Blog page at www.futureisclear.wordpress.com as you might find very usefull info if you live in Chicago or suburbs

Regards, Jacob

Collapse -
you need to help
by dontazzz / June 7, 2010 4:22 PM PDT
In reply to: DHCP

more people cause all over the net is about how clearwire is not woeking and is bad and a class action suit has been set up for everyone to go to and sign up.

Collapse -
Clear 4G WiMax Modem & Linksys Router
by joeyred / April 18, 2013 12:59 AM PDT

I had a problem with my Clear modem being too close to my wireless router - which caused interference and AWFUL performance. They are now 15 feet apart and things have greatly improved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.