Mac OS

General discussion

Cleaning up my MAC

by Joshu / May 9, 2005 2:56 PM PDT

Maybe its because im a new mac owner and somewhat paranoid, but i have a question.

For the most part i like my powerbook G4 except for the fact that my particalar comp is sort of flimsy (the keys and optical drive had to be replacd but fell under the warranty). Anywas, I konw there are utilities out there that help keep mantain a mac like onyx and cocktail. But I was wondering if there was anything liek doing a disk clean up and other such things one would do on a PC.
I just feel like if i dont take care of the computer, its life is gonna decrease and i really like my powerbook.

Any suggestions such as defragementation or anything else that will help mantain my mac up to speed. Also how to go about whatever the suggestion may be. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cleaning up my MAC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cleaning up my MAC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yasu cleaning software
by awalwah / May 9, 2005 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Cleaning up my MAC

Good day to you,
You may try cleaning disc called by name of Yasu, You can searc and download it from internet. My MAC administrator recommended to me last month. I cleaned my MAC everyweek by Yasu, looks pretty good.

Collapse -
Cleaning up my Mac
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 9, 2005 9:52 PM PDT

Onyx and Cocktail are both good utilities for OS X. Cocktail takes advantage of the built in Unix utilities, CRON, and forces them to run on command. If you leave your machine on overnight, the CRON utility will run automatically.
Yasu, as mentioned in the last post, does the same. Yasu is free, which is a very good price. Disk Warrior is a very good utility that only does one thing. It rebuilds disk directories and does it well. Not free. Don't forget the Disk Utility on your Mac. Free. Use it to repair permissions. Using all of the above on a weekly basis should keep you on the right track. None of these utilities will prevent mechanical damage. Happy
Steer clear of anything Norton, with the possible exception of the AV program. Do NOT use Norton Utilities or System Works.
Defrag is not really necessary under OS X due to the way that the file system is created and handled by the OS.

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
Cleanup utility suggestions
by fac / May 12, 2005 11:22 PM PDT

Hi Joshu,

I use several cleanup utilities; my favorite is sterMachine which you can find on www.macupdate.com. It performs a number of cleanup activities some of which are for advanced users. Most of these are done using the OSX Unix programs that come with OSX and are largely hidden with no interface to them. It is a powerful program and if not careful you can munge up something (haven't done that yet!).

You don't have to defragment your hard drive; as OSX does that behind the scenes. Disk Utility is good for doing the fix permissions thing before and after OSX updates. I also occasionally use Preferential Treatment to clean up preferences from programs I deleted. Usually, preferences don't get deleted when a program is deleted.

I use some other programs but am not on my iBook to get a list for you. If you search macupdate.com, you can find alot of them - just make sure they support your version of OSX.

Frank

Collapse -
Cleaning up my Mac
by mikeyz99 / May 13, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

Hi Joshua,

For the large part, much of the drive maintenance you are used to having to perform on a PC is not needed on the Mac. That said, you occasionally do have to perform some maintenance. The Mac OS has its own software called Disk Utility. You will want to explore the First Aid functions from that. One of the best third party tools is from Alsoft and is called Disk Warrior?purely for disk uses. Highly recommended, as is Micromat?s Tech Tool Pro. Tech Tool Pro also allows you to perform hardware and software conflict testing. I always recommend both. I have had trouble with several of the Norton modules over the years and I am not too enthusiastic about it.

Using All of these utilities is easy and they all have on screen instructions.

Hope this helps, Mike

Collapse -
TT Pro
by teamzappa / May 13, 2005 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Cleaning up my Mac

Hi Joshua,

Disk Utility is the first line of defense. About once every 2 months I boot from the restore disk (Panther install discs) and repair disk and permissions. Run it twice just to be sure. I agree about Yasu also to clean caches and run maintenance on demand - about once a month. Finally I have Tech Tool Pro. If you have the lite version it's only about a $60 upgrade and creates an emergency backup of the start-up volume, but takes about 4GB of hard drive space. Performs many tests and repairs a lot except for what Disk Warrior can do. TT also can optimize the hard drive which is good if you deal with editing large video files which can cause some fragmenting. It definitly gives me peace of mind having it. Start with Disk Utility and work your way up!

-Joe

Collapse -
TTPro danger
by Helen Hauer / May 13, 2005 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: TT Pro

Be very careful using the edisk part of Tech Tools Pro. I decided to make an edisk on my hard drive and it trashed my hard drive. It was unrecoverable and I lost data since my last backup. I had to reformat the drive. Disk Utility and Diskwarrior were unable to recover the drive and DataRescue was unable to recover much info. I repeat, use the edisk part of Tech Tools Pro (it makes a bootable portion of your harddrive in case of a system crash) only after a complete backup.

Collapse -
TTPro
by Marie Buteau / May 14, 2005 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: TTPro danger

I have used TechTool for 10 years and never ever had a problem with it. I have it now on my PB G4 and have created the edrive. Micromat tech told me to now always start up from the edrive when using TT. Also as far as fragmentation there is a lot. I Optimize about once a month. Make sure to check volume directory and turn journaling off before optimizing disk. Don't forget to turn it back on when done. In fact you cannot optimize the disk with journaling on. The first time I ran it when I got the latest update I had over 6000 disk fragments.

Collapse -
TechTool included?
by hdcoyle / May 13, 2005 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Cleaning up my Mac

Take a look at your Mac package, you may already have TechTool. I have a G5 at work which included TechTool Pro, and a G4 Powerbook at home which included TechTool

Collapse -
Solution for Cleaning a MAC
by offthejob / May 13, 2005 8:01 AM PDT

Start with a pealing knife then when the skin is removed use a 5lb mini shudge hammer and bingo it's done.

Collapse -
funny!!...
by chantman0 / May 15, 2005 12:01 PM PDT

..so you take the long and painful way?? LOL

I would get it over with by using doing a body slam on it. Just Kidding!! LOL

Using a vacuum would help keep the outside of the computer clean. A soft cloth to the screen with a bit of lense cleaner or simular.

Keeping the computer in a laptop case would protect it from dust,etc. and damages when not in use.

Collapse -
Solution for Cleaning a MAC
by offthejob / May 13, 2005 8:03 AM PDT

Start with a pealing knife then when the skin is removed use a 5lb mini sludge hammer and bingo it's done.

Collapse -
Nice to see
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2005 9:35 AM PDT

one of our "special" friends out for a troll by himself, even if they do have an itchy trigger finger

Collapse -
Try Applejack - It's free
by dcgeneral / May 13, 2005 8:26 AM PDT

**** Utility is OK as far as it goes. But, eventually, you will need to do more than that. DiskWarrior is fine also, but costly; still, it may do the job if a disk is very corrupted. I use it infrequently.

Applejack is new and free. Download at Version Tracker and install. To use, restart computer, hold down command key and s. That launchs Terminal in single user mode and Applejack will come up and tell you what to do from there. Running Applejack 'auto' restart will perform all maintenance necessary. Takes a few minutes, but completely automatic. In between, I use Macjanitor, also free; simple and easy to use. If you are using Tiger, be sure any software you add is compatible. If Panther, you're probably OK.

If you are a very newbie Mac user, you should do a scheduled maintenance to keep your Mac running smoothly. The info I've given you here took me about 6 months of trial and error to discover. If you have a laptop, get Applecare. It's worth it. You likely won't need it, but good insurance. Macs don't need defrag. When you see the term, 'optimizing' that's what the Mac is doing.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Joshu / May 14, 2005 5:14 PM PDT

wow lots of replies...thanks to everyone. I am experimenting with various freeware programs as I type. Yea I am sort of a mac tech newbie but an aspiring digerati. For now, it seems that Yasu is the most simple of all the programs and has most the features I need...except for deleting .DS_store files, which i guess il have to do manually. Other than that it seems to work. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Collapse -
Try Cocktail for Mac OS X
by Megavolt / May 13, 2005 11:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
Cleaning up my mac
by dougryandc / January 2, 2008 12:21 AM PST

I have a G5 with the dual processor and I love it. However I am having problems with downloads. It seems that my computer downloads everything to my desktop. It is a pain in the rear, I have to clean up the desktop once a week or sooner. I just want the Mac to stop downloading to my desktop if anyone knows how to stop this onslaught to my desktop that would be helpful? Thanks

Doug

Collapse -
An easy question at last
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 2, 2008 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Cleaning up my mac

Open your Web Browser, presumably Safari. If it's not then the procedure is basically the same.

Open the preferences of the browser.

Safari: On the first page of the preferences you will see that you are currently downloading files to the desktop. Next to the word desktop there is a drop down arrow. Click it and choose Other.
Now browse to a place that you would like your downloaded files to be placed.
I created a folder on the desktop called "Downloaded Files" and pointed Safari at it.

If you are using any other browser, the procedure is the same, just the location of that option is different.

Leopard (10.5) actually has a folder called Downloads.

Hope this helps tidy up your desktop

P

Collapse -
cleaning up my mac
by dougryandc / January 4, 2008 12:39 AM PST

Thanks for the tip. I will see if it works.

Thank you
Doug

Collapse -
Automated System Maintenance
by lakelizard / May 14, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

Hey Joshu,

In addition to Tech Tool Pro my suggestion to you is to go to atomicbird.com and check out MACARONI.

Cheers

Collapse -
Clean my mac
by dcgeorge95 / August 2, 2011 9:41 AM PDT

i use clean my mac and it works great. there is also going to be clean my mac 2 coming out soon Cool

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.