Desktops

General discussion

Cleaning Dell PC

by terabyte888 / March 17, 2007 2:46 AM PDT

Hi all--

Just bought a Dell desktop--first time trying Dell.

I was shocked to see that if I open the case, my warranty is invalid.

Typically, I dust inside the case every 2-3 months, and that is necessary because I find a lot of dust that poses a fire hazard, etc. I have a bracelet that grounds me to the case to avoid static problems.

With the Dell warranty, do I have to pay a licensed technician to clean dust out of the case several times this year?

Thanks for any advice ...

Tera

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cleaning Dell PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cleaning Dell PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It all OK
by Willy / March 17, 2007 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Cleaning Dell PC

Do what you've been doing in your cleaning methods. I would suggest you don't mention this if the "warranty issue" ever comes up. Obviously use common sense here. Wink

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Dell cleaning
by terabyte888 / March 17, 2007 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: It all OK

Oh, thanks, I will then. I was just afraid that they would take one look and say, "I see you opened the case," like there'd be some little booby trap like a bit of tape or paper or something that would split when the case was opened.

If there was, I guess a good techie would understand . . .

Tera

Collapse -
Or. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 17, 2007 8:23 AM PDT

If you have the standard one year warranty, take it back every two months and have them clean it. The local shop will bill Dell. After a few cleanings, mention that you could do this yourself and save them some money. They'll probably jump at that suggestion.

Several years ago I had a problem with a Toshiba laptop running XP. The battery life decayed to about 20 minutes. I took it to an authorized Toshiba repair center and they replaced the battery under my extended warranty. A week later there was no improvement and they replaced the motherboard under warranty. A week later it happened again and a little research on my part found that that model running XP eats batteries for lunch. I mentioned to them that I might need another model laptop, replaced under warranty because of this built in problem, you can imagine the response. Sooooo, it was now my duty and mission to test their warranty. I took it back every week for almost six months. The good part is the repair facility was able to demonstrate the failure every time. I think I got four or five batteries and a dozen motherboards. Can you imagine the cost involved? They finally realized it and I got another model. Under warranty. It was glorious.

Collapse -
Brilliant!
by terabyte888 / March 17, 2007 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Or. . .

I will try that! I feel a little weird about letting someone else do it, but I'm sure they'll be quicker than I am.

Thanks so much.

Tera

Collapse -
Contact dell
by tuxmaster / March 17, 2007 6:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Brilliant!

I would say contact Dell in regards to the issue.

Usualy if a computer company does not want you to open a case they put a pece of tape on the side of the computer that breaks if you open the case.

Funny thing about most Dells

They are really easy to open and if you read there warranty

You do the troubleshooting. Which requires you to open the case.

Which in turn requires you to open the case yourself. I would say read over your warrenty that you signed. and call dell in regards to the matter.

Most regular pepole if you ask them if you should open the case when in warrenty most pepole would say no. Because that is the way it used to be not any more though

Tuxmaster

Collapse -
opening a Dell
by eggfrmr / March 23, 2007 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Contact dell

When I called Dell on a warranty issue. The lady told me to open the computer and do some things in there. I asked her twice "You want me to open my computer up and this won't void my warranty." She said absolutely not, go ahead. So I did.
I have 2 Dells and avoided opening them for the same reason. However I will be opening them for regular cleaning from now on. And no, they do not have any sort of tape/tag that shows if it's been opened.

Collapse -
cleaning your dell.
by chrishandyman / March 23, 2007 8:27 PM PDT

Hi,

lets see you have recently purchased a dell, good choice, and you wont to clean the fluff off it from inside. Well to be honest you will be kicking yourself if you opened that case whilst it it under warrenty, Dell dislike any other person or third party company to touch their machines, you will with out doubt invalidate your warrenty
and you could end up with a bill if you wasdislodge something inside it.

Most computer collect dust and fluff, get a cleaning pc cleaning kit

one that has a battery operated vacume cleaner and go over the keep board that will clean any dust that accumulates inside the keyboard area, thats the area which will collect most dust and fluff and will
course your computer to fail. Dell use a method of droping the unit into a bath of solution that cleanes computers they allow it to dry very rearly do they open it up to brush or dust off parts.

Be wise do not open it up pcs only need a through clean once a year

Collapse -
opening dell case
by 4138168 / March 24, 2007 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: cleaning your dell.

I purchased a floppy drive off DELL, i asked them if my warranty would be void if i fitted it myself, also if i opened the case.There answer was the warranty only applies to the hardware supplied as the pc, therefore the warranty would be okay

Collapse -
Cleaning a Dell
by GEAR8 / March 24, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

I own 3 Dells and have never been told that opening the case would invalidate the warranty....Ive upgraded all 3 before the warranty was up and did the upgrades myself....ie. RAM....Vid Cards...and cleaning your PC out every 2-3 months is a good idea....a year is too long to let dust gather in your PC...and if your not using a ground strap...make sure you touch the metal part of the chassis every so often as you clean as static discharge can damage the parts.

Collapse -
Clean your computer -- even if it is a Dell
by justwally / March 24, 2007 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Cleaning a Dell

Opening the case of a Dell LAPTOP _will_ void its warranty. Dell laptops have access panels for things like RAM and mini-PCI; opening those will not void your warranty.

Opening your Dell desktop for regular cleaning is not only appreciated by Dell technicians, when asked they will recommend it and offer suggestions about the best ways to go about it.

I have spoken to Dell representatives at every level of the organization, and they unequivocally state that opening your computer case will _not_ void the warrant. It is the things that people do once the case is open that tend to void the warranty.

Be smart, keep your computer clean. All of mine (Dells) are cleaned every month to two months.

Collapse -
Don't do IT !!!!
by show me how / March 24, 2007 4:21 AM PDT

Just looking at your Dell will VOID your Warranty !!!! DELL"s SUCK'S !!!!!

Collapse -
Don't do it!!!!.....LMAO
by GEAR8 / March 24, 2007 6:41 AM PDT

It looks like show me how has had a bad experience with Dell...lol....and I think his..or hers...comment is a rant at Dell and not from computer maintence experience...just have a look at show me how's other post here...a bad experience with Dell Learn hardly constitutes a comment on maintenance....lol

Collapse -
Dell Warranty
by donaldrennie / March 28, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

I just now called Dell technical support to see what they would say about this issue. I got "James", in India. LOL. I wonder why alot of those guys have English names. They wont tell you they're in India unless you 'axe' them. Anyway, moving on to what he said... I 'axed' him if my warranty would be voided if I installed a better graphics card. He said "No". There are so many different answers in here, I don't know who to believe. I guess I'll take the advice of reading the warranty myself to find out for sure.

Collapse -
(NT) how can I open dell pc, dimention xps t6oo
by iamnalhu / May 9, 2008 7:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.