Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

Classic Pagemaker6.5 files to OSX10.5

by 2trekkers / January 27, 2013 3:06 AM PST

I own an IMac G5 OSX 10.5.8 running Safari and recently purchased a new HP printer with a 10.5 operating system. My problem is related to my wife's computer.
She has a Powermac G5 OS Classis 9.2.2, 515 memory and using Firefox as a browser.
She has written hundreds of pages of genealogy charts in Pagemaker 6.5 and here are the problems:

1) The HP printer will not recognize her computer because it is not 10.5. ,
if I get a newer computer she can not access her Pagemaker files
2) I can not open Pagemaker because I can not have Classic on my 10.5
3) Pagemaker softwear is no longer available from Adobe
4) Her computer has a 1" square of lines around curser and all screen icons,
this problem we have tried to correct with no success
5) There may be softwear that will convert Pagemaker files but because
of memory and the Classic 9.0 she can not can not install it

We really need help. Thanks, Bill

2trekkers has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Classic Pagemaker6.5 files to OSX10.5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Classic Pagemaker6.5 files to OSX10.5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by 2trekkers

Collapse -
You write PageMaker is not available?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2013 3:15 AM PST
"While we continue to sell PageMaker 7.0 and to offer technical support and customer service for
it, we encourage you to switch to Adobe InDesign CS2. As a loyal PageMaker customer, you're entitled to special
pricing for this upgrade, and you'll find a lot of support for making the transition."

So are you aware of this? I see free trials that you could use to see if you can get them over to ID.

As to your other issues it sounds as if there were no backups of the system made when it was working. I know folk are loathe to do such but as time rolls on, you discover one day a backup is your only way out.
Collapse -
OS and Pagemaker
by 2trekkers / January 27, 2013 6:58 AM PST

Thanks for your rely Bob
We have been using Pagemaker since 1989 so we are a loyal customer. I am aware of InDesign but the computer that has Pagemaker will not accept InDesign because of the Classic operating system. If I installed InDesign on my IMac could I transfer the OS9 Classis Pagemaker files that are on thumb drives? Because these files are basically charts, would I loose the formating. Appreciate any help.

Collapse -
I can't answer that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: OS and Pagemaker

It's why I noted there are trial versions. I doubt anyone would tell you it would be fine since "it depends" on a lot of things. One of the most common gaffes I encounter is a missing font.

As font discussions are in the millions I'll stop here.

Collapse -
Have solved problem (sort of)
by 2trekkers / May 5, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I can't answer that.

I have installed InDesign on my IMac and have found that the the Pagemaker files from the computer my wife has which have been saved on thumb drives will open in the InDesign program. Regarding the Printer problem, I purchased a new printer which is compatible with the computer my wife has, so looks like we are set until the computer my wife has dies, which will be sooner than later. We will then have another problem which we will deal with at that time. Thanks everyone for your help. Bill

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.