Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Class not Registered?

by sugarbear246 / July 31, 2012 9:02 AM PDT

I have a Dell Inspiron 531-Running XP Pro, x64 Edition; Version 2003--SP2.
Lately when ever I try to Install any applications I get an Error Message that says: "Class not Registered".
Sometimes additional "Class ID" Number is given, but often No Class ID Number.
I've searched the web and got some really confusing information on resolving this issue?
I REALLY NEED A MORE SIMPLIFIED SOLUTION!
Any help out there?
Please Help1
Sugarbear 246

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Class not Registered?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Class not Registered?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ouch. XP 64 bit!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2012 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Class not Registered?

That's one advanced OS and I find that many apps do indeed fail like that. Any reason to stick with this hard to support OS?
Bob

Collapse -
Windows XP forum: Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / July 31, 2012 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Ouch. XP 64 bit!

Well frankly I'm a Disabled Veteran living on a small pension, and I can't afford to Buy a new 32 bit System?
But in spite of my personal delimma I'm still holding out hope that someone out there can help me Navigate around this little problem!
So any takers?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
To fix this, we have to think back to what broke it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2012 1:17 PM PDT

I've lost count of registry cleaners, malware and more. It's not a message I've found to be one single cure but dozens. Without more detail you may be looking at using google on that message to see which solution applies to what else you know.

This is still an off beat version so let's hope whoever talked you into it warned you.
Bob

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 1, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

Not every Instance of the "Class not Registered" Error Message listed a Class ID Number, but here is one Instance where it did! "Class not Registered, Class ID: {00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046},
Not sure this is any more Information than I've already given, but maybe you might have some ideas regarding this SPECIFIC Entry?
Thanks;
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Was there a recent virus or such?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2012 9:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 1, 2012 10:24 AM PDT

Bob thanks for the suggestion! Got a question though? I went to the Link you gave me and it suggested completly DELETING THIS Regisgry Entry? (HKML\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File). It actually list the Registry Entry as (HKML) and I'm assuming it's the same as (HKLM)= For HKey Local Machine?
My question is: There are many Entries in this Registry Folder...WHAT WOULD BE THE OUTCOME IF I (COMPLETLY DELETED) This Folder? Do you Know?
Help!
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Sadly I can't know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2012 10:28 AM PDT

XP 64 is a little off the support map and I see no reason to delete ANYTHING given the story so far.

I don't want to upset you by being too blunt. But you could tell more history such as "I removed the DNSHIJACKER last night and ever since..."

I'm working with just 2 or 3 clues so far and that leads me to one always fixes it solution (start over) and dozens of other fixes.

More clues are needed.
Bob

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 5, 2012 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly I can't know.

Bob you asked for more Clues, and here are some Entries that I removed with Spybot Search and Destroy: "Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.antivirusoverride", and "Crypt.InfectRansom". Not sure either of these two entries would cause the "Class not Registered" problem?
Also you never answered my last Inquiry regarding removing that Particular Registry Folder suggested by the Link you gave Me? Is there an Update on that Question? Hope So!
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Re: removing entries from the registry
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 7:37 AM PDT

"Class not registered" means something like "Expected registry entry for class missing". Deleting more from the registry could only make your problems worse and won't help.

I tend to agree with Bob about 'start over', although I would start with a repair install from your XP CD before doing a clean install.

But first I'd try to reinstall the Windows installer from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483. For 64-bits XP it seems you need WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe

Kees

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 6, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

I have Considered Re-Installing my OS, or Doing a "Repair", but Guess what I can't find my XP Pro Corp x64 Edition CD?
Anybody Know where I can BUY one Cheap?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
That's a very good clue " Spybot Search and Destroy"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 7:41 AM PDT

This title and it's accompanying TeaTimer does create issues like yours. This title is outdated and you should uninstall and forget it exists.

The other clues about the keys tells me that the machine was indeed infected. Grif has written posts about tools that are current and may find and might remove the pests but the damage at this point is done.

Some folk need to read it so here's the awful truth. Removing a pest does not undo the damage. Sometimes the OS survives, other times and this is getting more common, we get to start over.

Here's Grif's usual list of tools -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Good luck and let's hope this avoids the re-install.
Bob

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 5, 2012 11:36 PM PDT

Applied Grif's Usual List of Tools! ran the 3 Rkill riles...(Rkill.exe; Rkill.com; and Rkill.scr) they Found NO Malware.
Re-Named Mbamsetup.exe TO Gogetum.exe, and Installed it! It found 19 Items. Hoo Ray!
NOW HERE COMES THE PROBLEM?
I WAS NOT ABLE TO INSTALL AND RUN "SuperAntiSpyware" however. I Re-Named it also to "Gogetum2.exe and each time I tried to install it I got this little (INSTALL ERROR MESSAGE: "Error creating Shortcuts, Aborting Installation"?
IT APPEARS SOMETHING ELSE IS INFECTING MY SYSTEM, THAT I CANT GET TO?
I also tried Installing "SuperAntiSpyware" in Safe Mode with Networking and I got the same Install error Message?
GOT ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS? I'M STUMPED?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
That's a GOOD CLUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 4:49 AM PDT

Remember that error messages are what drives us forward.

I'll reply to the top to avoid forum bottom issues.

Collapse -
Answer
"I WAS NOT ABLE TO INSTALL AND RUN "SuperAntiSpyware" "
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 4:55 AM PDT

"I WAS NOT ABLE TO INSTALL AND RUN "SuperAntiSpyware" however. I Re-Named it also to "Gogetum2.exe and each time I tried to install it I got this little (INSTALL ERROR MESSAGE: "Error creating Shortcuts, Aborting Installation"?"

Don't read http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1058360-desktop-icons-not-working.html yet. That's for later.

Those shortcuts would be in the menus, desktop or quicklaunch areas. And as you know these are FOLDERS in the Windows system. If there is a permission issue or some protection software is blocking this, that error is exactly what I would expect.

-> I've worked with a minimal amount of clues but for this one I'd create a new ADMIN capable account and try the SuperAntiSpyware there. If it fails then I'm off to check the rights, permissions, and ownership of the folders that hold such shortcuts. Yes, a little advanced but something of a survival skill that can be learned.
Bob

Collapse -
Notes. Thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 4:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 6, 2012 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Notes. Thoughts.

I am Currenlty Running "Hitman Pro 3", but it's been running over 4 Hours now, and is not yet finished it's scan? Looking forward to discovering what it uncovers. Will let you know the results. I can't wait!
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 6, 2012 2:21 PM PDT

I downloaded the Hitman Pro3 from CNet downloads and it ran over 4 hours with No resolution. I used the Direct Download Link and it Ran Immediately and found a few Items!
I keep running Malwarebytes and it KEEPS finding Malware. The Items are Always located in the "C: System Volume Information_restore" Folder. Not sure what would happen if I were to Completely delete the Content of this Folder? Got a Feeling though that It probably would not be Good?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
And one more thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 5:44 AM PDT

Does CHKDSK cough up any warnings?

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 6, 2012 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: And one more thought.

I have run "Error Checking" from my C: Drive 2 times, and it cleaned 1 entry a DVD File downloaded from the Net, but nothing I thought would address my current situation?
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
Woah? Is this machine used for torrents?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 2:37 PM PDT

You don't want to know...

The infections in the restore folder are cleaned by turning off system restore and back on.

It's a shame that movies were downloaded. Along with those I usually find nasties.

Sorry to read that.
Bob

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 7, 2012 7:53 AM PDT

Well Bob...I DID IT...I Re-Install XP Pro x64 Edition. I had no choice my system just kept getting worse with new unstable stuff occurring. Icons on Desktop lost their Icon Picuture?
NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM. All my stored files on my External HDD are formatted on XP Pro 64bit. So I was forced to Re-Install XP Pro x64 Edition?
Here's my new problem. Can't access the Internet to do my Updates. Ran from Command Prompt: ipconfig / release, and ipconfig / renew. Comcast IT suggested calling Microsoft. Here goes another Expense if I call them? I also notice in my Device Manager my "Ehternet Controller; my "Other PCI Bridge Device"; "SM Bus Controller"; and "Unknown Device" ALL HAVE YELLOW QUESTION MARK OVER THEM.

I'm assuming these Errors are "Driver" Updates? CAN I DOWNLOAD FROM DELL THE DRIVERS AND INSTALL THEM FROM A CD OR DVD?
Man I need Help
Sugarbear246

Collapse -
That's right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2012 10:05 AM PDT

XP, any version requires at minimum those drivers for motherboard, video, audio and in some cases you must install the MS UAA after the motherboard and before the audio driver. This should all be documented by the person who built this machine. I can only guess at the exact order and drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Class not Registered?
by sugarbear246 / August 7, 2012 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: That's right.

Good News! I had saved ALL the needed drivers on a Flash Drive months ago! I also found my XP Pro x64 Edition Installation Disc and have Re-Install my OS.
But I had to use Firefox instead of IE to download SP2 in order to be able to proceed ANY FURTHER with my Updates. But fortunately I'm traversing ALL Problems!
Hope you PC Geeks out there are paying attention...DON'T INSTALL XP PRO 64 BIT, If you can Avoid it!
Thanks for all your help Bob! I'll close this Post here!
Sugarbear246

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.