AVG forum

General discussion

Class Action Lawsuit against AVG for Bricked Computers

by Jesse13927 / January 29, 2011 8:55 PM PST

I would like to know if there is currently a class action or other lawsuit against AVG for causing bricked computers and, if so, how I can join in on the action.

My computer was bricked and AVG's recovery system does not work. I strongly feel that AVG should be held legally responsible for releasing such a faulty product.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Class Action Lawsuit against AVG for Bricked Computers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Class Action Lawsuit against AVG for Bricked Computers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2011 12:19 AM PST

Most software has clauses that your use of many software titles that there is no liability. And for almost all software products you can only reclaim what money you gave the supplier.

Before you posted did you read that agreement?

Collapse -
No, I did no read the EULA.
by Jesse13927 / January 30, 2011 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering.

I did not read the EULA, but I have read it now. It says that AVG's liability shall not exceed 5 dollars. Although 5 dollars is not adequate in light of the damages I have incurred, it's better than nothing. I think I'll go to small claims court.

Collapse -
Re: No, I did no read the EULA.
by Ondrej_AVG / January 30, 2011 3:20 PM PST

Hello Jesse13927,

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused by AVG product.

Could you please describe in more details what exactly happened on your computer?

> AVG's recovery system does not work.
Do you mean "Rescue Center" in AVG PC TuneUp product?

Thank you

Collapse -
I'll tell you what happened.
by Jesse13927 / February 1, 2011 7:30 PM PST

I installed your crap AVG 2011 Free Edition on my HP Envy 15 computer and then reset. Guess what? Windows wouldn't start. You know what else wouldn't start? Windows Recovery. It said they would run, but then it just froze. I tried booting in Safe Mode and it stopped on AVGIDSEH.sys. You're familiar with that, right? So I went into Knoppix and I deleted everything related to AVG. Windows still wouldn't start. When I tried scanning the hard drive in the BIOS diagnostics, the scan failed. I tried reformatting the hard drive in Knoppix. I had to do this several times because my computer is an HP and so it doesn't come with a damn recovery disc and the recovery partition didn't work either, so I had to download a Torrent of the Windows 7 ISO and finally install Windows that way. Windows lasted a few hours and then gave me a weird message about how the hard drive was essentially wasted and please contact the manufacturer. The hard drive is shot. The computer is only 7 months old and was working fine before I installed AVG. The minute I installed AVG, the hard drive is shot.

Your program is worse than any virus out there. You owe me a hard drive.

Collapse -
Re: I'll tell you what happened
by Ondrej_AVG / February 1, 2011 9:59 PM PST

Hello Jesse13927,

the unpleasant situation with avgidseh.sys has been already discussed on CNET several times - please see this newest thread with summary.

We are still trying to find something common at affected computers - could you please describe your environment on the computer?
- used protection applications (except AVG)
- used firewall
- any other application you think is important
- has AVG requested restart to remove some infection?

Thank you for your cooperation

Collapse -
If you don't know what's causing this...
by Jesse13927 / February 1, 2011 11:14 PM PST

...then pull your product off the market until you do! It's as simple as that. The AVGIDSEH.sys problem has been around for months (before the December update) and yet you're still releasing this software. That is irresponsible and unacceptable. I just wish I had research about you guys sooner.

In response to your questions:

My computer came pre-installed with Norton, and I had removed it, but the the Norton Security Scan was still on the system and would run sometimes, reminding me to buy Norton.

I used the Windows firewall.

No, I don't think there are other important applications that factored into this. I had not installed or uninstalled anything recently.

No, I did the initial scan and it said there were some tracking cookies and that's it.

Collapse -
May be a HUGE clue there
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 11:25 PM PST

You 'removed' Norton, but some component or other remained.

It is commonly reported in these forums where installing one anti-virus before completely uninstalling an existing anti-virus can cause problems. It seems you failed to remove Norton's completely and if so it is a shame you didn't use the Norton's Removal Tool, then reboot the system, before attempting to install any other anti-virus.

Norton's Removal Tool.

One other thing, that pirated Windows 7. I assume you no longer have any pirated Windows OS installed, because if you did, this discussion would halt here. Forum Policy prevents us from helping with pirated products.

It seems to me that your next step on this 7 months old computer is to contact HP and ask them to provide you with recovery disks, so you can return your system to factory state.

Collapse -
I did not pirate windows!
by Jesse13927 / February 2, 2011 7:23 AM PST

I have an oem license which I used. I simply needed a means to get my legal copy of windows onto my computer. I did use norton removal tool and it did not work apparently. If norton remnants are a problem, the avg installer should have detected and removed them.

I bought the computer in America and I live in Japan, so hp will not help me.

Collapse -
(NT) I tried removing you and you will not leave,norton del no pr
by avgirritatesme / April 5, 2012 9:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: I tried removing you and you will not leave,norton del n
by Ondrej_AVG / April 5, 2012 4:11 PM PDT

Hello avgirritatesme,

Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused by this issue.

I would like to ask you to run AVG Remover tool from our website (choose 32bit or 64bit variant according to your used operating system).

In case something is still not removed, please provide us with "avgremover.log" from folder where remover tool was run. And detailed description what was not removed.
Upload the log file in an archive (zip file) to favorite online storage and provide us with link to it, so we can analyze it more closely.

Thank you

Collapse -
Re: hard drive shot
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 1, 2011 11:41 PM PST

Installing software can't damage the hard drive, and surely doesn't cause a failure in the BIOS scan of that hard drive. And it's quite unlikely to cause recovery from the recovery partition to fail.

So I think that what happened is a coincidence.

Things to do:
- have HP install a new hard drive under warranty (1 year is longer than 7 months, so your chance that HP does it is much bigger than that AVG gives you new hardware)
- don't forget to make that recovery discs if you get it back
- if you switch from Norton to another antivirus later on (my guess: it won't be AVG) use the removal tool Mark linked to

Given how stubborn Norton sometimes is, it isn't really smart to buy a PC with Norton if you don't want that. Don't they sell PC's that come with only Windows where you live?

Collapse -
The reason why the hard drive is shot.
by Jesse13927 / February 2, 2011 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re: hard drive shot

The hard drive is shot because of a failed install of Windows that I attempted after using Knoppix to get rid of AVGIDSEH.sys. And no, this isn't the ISO that I downloaded on Bittorrent. I tried to use hp's recovery partition to reinstall Windows (factory image). I tried to do this twice and both times it failed and that's when the hard drive got shot.

HP will not help me because I bought the computer in the US and live in Japan.

I don't actually expect AVG to give me a new hard drive, but I feel that in a just world without EULA's that you have no say in, they would.

I am still thinking about going to small claims court for the 5 dollar maximum liability provided for in the EULA and I suggest that other users do the same.

Collapse -
I sympathise!!
by nilocp / February 8, 2011 7:35 AM PST

I have followed your correspondance, and see they have locked a discussion!!

What is that all about??

Below is the text which I found enlightening, and deserves a better response than locking it!

I am not asking a question here. I am making a grievance. I feel that your company, AVG, has wronged me and countless other users like me by irresponsibly releasing and continuing to distribute faulty software which kills hard drives.

I do not need technical support at this juncture. My hard drive is dead. When I try to boot, it tells me that the SMART system has detected that the hard drive is about to fail and that I should try to back up or save my files. I hold you completely responsible for the destruction of my hard drive.

I am making a grievance and a statement here. Your company is acting inexcusably by continuing to offer software that you know full-well to be faulty and responsible for the destruction, not just the crashing, but the outright destruction of computers. You have known about the AVGIDSEH.sys bug for months and you have done nothing. Such a faulty piece of software should not be made available and should be recalled and removed immediately.

I created this thread as a warning to other users not to use AVG under any circumstances. I believe that AVG absolutely must remove AVG antivirus software from the marketplace unless and until you are able to fix it. Continuing to offer such flawed software is, in my opinion, downright criminal.

I no longer care about compensation or a new hard drive; this is a consumer protection issue. Your software IS worse than viruses and the computer-using public MUST be protected from

Collapse -
Re: I sympathise
by Ondrej_AVG / February 8, 2011 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: I sympathise!!
Collapse -
Let me just say,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 8, 2011 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: I sympathise!!

that there has never been any instances when 'software' has made a hard drive physically fail. When SMART kicks in with warning messages that is an indication that a hard drive may be about to fail. That has nothing to do with software, nor with any files located/stored on the hard drive. The failure is physical, not software related.

AVG is a popular and well respected security utility and is used by many millions world wide. It is one of a range of security applications discussed in these forums, and while we accept that, at times, members will have problems with the software, allegations such has been made in this and other threads by this user are unwelcome and unfounded.

There are clues in the posts made by this user about the problems they have experienced, and may be the AVG team and others here could have helped resolve those problems. However, that hard drive failure pre-empted all help that could be offered, and this subject must now be considered closed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.