The CNET Lounge forum

Question

Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Cards???

by bonw / December 6, 2012 11:49 PM PST

I'm not sure where to post this so i guess i'll put it here. I run a dispatch office for a school bus company and we recently installed fortress mobile video cameras on some of our buses. The SD cards are compressed with the h.264 compression and i need to purchase some extra cards. I spoke with fortress mobile and the price of the cards from them is a heck of a lot more than the price on amazon. For the last 2 days I've been trying to figure out if there is a program that i can download that will give me the h.264 compression, but no luck. I started thinking that maybe it doesn't need to be compressed to that format, maybe it comes that way already when you purchase it??? Any help would be greatly appreciated i would like to save the company i work for some money if at all possible.

Thanx Bon

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Cards???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Cards???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
The cards are not compressed with h.264.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 11:55 PM PST

The content or video is compressed with h.264. The memory card is the storage and not much else.

The only issue I ever encounter is that the card must be within the supported sizes. My advice is simple. Get one of the same size and and try it. There are some that can't do their own support such as find a menu to format the card in the recorder so we do that for them and charge a little for them.
Bob

Collapse -
Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Cards???
by bonw / December 7, 2012 12:01 AM PST

Wow that was quick! Thank you! I will do that and that was my worry also, that there is no way to format the card in the recorder itself, but for $22.00 it would be worth it to try. Thank you again!

Bon

Collapse -
And there's a way around that issue too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 12:11 AM PST

-> REMEMBER my lone warning. Get the same size card for the test run.

Most of those use simple FAT32 formatting. If I was there I could pop it into a PC and look at it with Explorer Properties on the drive letter and see.

Some folk are so spooked by such things that they can't do that or just try a card.

-> If the card is the same size, don't do a thing when you get it. Just pop it in the device, record some stuff and then check it out on the PC.

I'm making a big assumption you have one of the ubiquitous models that I know about. Look up the comany s e o n (take out the spaces) and they do the mobile thing too but with big drives. I think I know the other company and it's product but now as well as I do the one I noted.
Bob

Collapse -
maybe another issue???
by bonw / December 7, 2012 12:19 AM PST

I tried looking at the properties of the card but its encrypted. You can only view it through their software program. Its fortress mobile model fm621g if that helps.

Bon

Collapse -
Same with the company I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: maybe another issue???

If the drive is not initialized they do that when you slip in a new unformatted media.

Unless that's documented (the company I noted does noted that) you have to try it.

Again, a lot of this is all about the users that demand that it work. If that is so, the company provides every little part, ready to use. It's not that there is anything bad going on here. It's all about what the users want.

I'll spell it out again. Let's say that there is some "contract" about performance. If so, then using other parts breaks that contract. Some are very litigious so you can't write or tell them that many cards just work. Instead you put the card through some tests and that increases the cost.
Bob

Collapse -
Issue solved
by bonw / December 7, 2012 12:54 AM PST

I just got a call back from the company and they told me that I can hook my laptop up via a video cable and format the card that way. I just need to get the remote from our main office and i'm good to go! I do PC tech work on the side as a hobby so I always wanna help people save money if I can "do it myself". (not that i get paid extra to do it but who cares) Its nice to see that fortress mobile was willing to go above and beyond to help me help someone else. If more companies were like that the world would be a much better place! thank you so very much for all your help its much appreciated!

Bon

Collapse -
that there is no way to format the card in the recorder itse
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: Issue solved

I have to believe you when you wrote "that there is no way to format the card in the recorder itself, "

I see now you found out more about the product. It does format media so you're good to go.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.