Speakeasy

General discussion

CIA director General Petraeus Resigns Due To Affair.

by James Denison / November 9, 2012 4:14 AM PST
General resigns due to extramarital affair.

WASHINGTON (AP) — David Petraeus has resigned as director of the CIA after admitting he had an extramarital affair.According to his letter of resignation, Petraeus asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to allow him to resign, and on Friday the president accepted.Petraeus said in a statement that he had shown "extremely poor judgment" in having an affair.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CIA director General Petraeus Resigns Due To Affair.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CIA director General Petraeus Resigns Due To Affair.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Timing is everything
by TONI H / November 9, 2012 5:26 AM PST

he's also not going to be testifying at the Senate hearing....................

Collapse -
You heard it here first.
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Timing is everything

they'll find him dead in a hotel room, Suicide...Obama will be blamed.

Collapse -
(NT) You are really one sick whackjob
by TONI H / November 9, 2012 5:33 AM PST
Collapse -
I can't hold a candle to you.
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 5:35 AM PST

Obama killed Woods....AND he told people to "Kill Romney"

Collapse -
This administration
by TONI H / November 9, 2012 5:41 AM PST

and therefore BO DID kill the Ambassador and his aide and two SEALs, as well as killing one/two border agents because of Fast & Furious. He is the ultimate one responsible for his policies and appointees' policies and directives and decision making. There are four/five deliberate deaths at his hands....all of them murders. And his campaign had the theme of "Kill Romney" from February on......do you deny it?

Collapse -
And his campaign had the theme of "Kill Romney" from Februar
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: This administration

And his campaign had the theme of "Kill Romney" from February on......do you deny it?

Got a link?

Collapse -
Stop living under that rock
by TONI H / November 9, 2012 6:39 AM PST
Collapse -
OK....
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 7:15 AM PST
"Unless things change and Obama can run on accomplishments, he will have to kill Romney," said a prominent Democratic strategist aligned with the White House.

So "prominent" they won't give their name?

Do you think Romney is all washed up politically?:)

Now man up and apologize for the 'suicide' crap statement you made about Petraeus because there was absolutely no call for that.

Timing is everything

After you.
Collapse -
RE: And his campaign had the theme of "Kill Romney"
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: This administration
Collapse -
You think be cause he resigned
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 5:42 AM PST

he can't be asked questions?

It's that simple is it?

Don't ask me questions...I'm having Marital problems?

He's a General...are you going to tell him to grow a set?

Collapse -
He's not testifying on Thursday
by TONI H / November 9, 2012 6:42 AM PST

that doesn't mean he still can't be called on or forced to by subpoena power.

Stop being an *** with your one-liners and just be serious for a change.

Collapse -
He can still be called to testify, just as you said
by Josh K / November 9, 2012 7:19 AM PST

So forcing him to resign over impending testimony would be a very poor tactical move.

Collapse -
I never suggested what you say
by TONI H / November 9, 2012 8:01 AM PST

As for timing is everything......I wonder why he didn't resign BEFORE the election and waited until two days later to do so? The affair took place quite a while ago....have to wonder if the Administration knew about it since the FBI was already investigating the affair and made a political decision to put pressure on him to wait.

Collapse -
I think the bigger question.....
by Josh K / November 9, 2012 11:26 AM PST

.....is why the FBI would have been investigating him at all. That would be very unusual. If the CIA thought something was wrong they would investigate internally. My guess is that there is more to this story than we've heard so far.

And also, why would he resign and cite the affair as the reason, when odds are we wouldn't have heard about it otherwise? Typically they cite "I want to spend more time with my family" as the excuse. Was he trying to get in front of this? Was he told to come clean now because of some other layer to this story?

Collapse -
(NT) check the daily mail site
by James Denison / November 9, 2012 12:08 PM PST
Collapse -
I don't know Josh
by Roger NC / November 9, 2012 10:06 PM PST

since you're talking about possible security leaks within the country, it would be the job of the FBI so investigate if the question was did the affair involve any leaks of restricted information or security risks. I hear the investigation was more about if his relationship enabled her to access possible sensitive information such as emails, files, or just his computer that she shouldn't have.

Besides, an internal investigation, particularly in a "secret society" environment would be likely to be self censoring or at the least dealing with it all in house and not letting anyone else know. Surely such a secretive organization as the CIA or NSA, etc, would internally generate an attitude that no one outside needs to know anything about internal workings.

In general, any serious risk would be investigated by some group at least a bit outside the ones being investigated.

Supposely the FBI was tipped of a relationship that might question his maintaining security. Once they were tipped, I don't see how they could not investigate it.

Affairs aren't the security risk they were in the past perhaps, just because it's no longer considered outrageous and the chances of successful blackmail over an affair are lower.

The right or wrong of such an attitude is a different debate. It's just a matter of fact that right now the US society is numbed to scandle after so many that such aren't likely to pressure someone in his position to give away information.

Collapse -
RE: why the FBI would have been investigating him at all.
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 10:10 PM PST

I've read something about the person he allegedly was having the affair with, had illegally accessed his Government e-mail account.

Collapse -
This sheds some light on how the FBI got involved
by Josh K / November 10, 2012 8:04 AM PST
Collapse -
aha
by James Denison / November 10, 2012 4:05 PM PST

They were "embedded" together in Afghanistan. Wink

Collapse -
Perhaps it was your original post which was at fault for the
by Ziks511 / November 9, 2012 9:42 PM PST

misunderstanding. I certainly thought that you were implying that resigning from the Directorship of the CIA would relieve him of the need to testify, and that was why it occurred.

It wouldn't surprise me if his resignation was delayed a couple of days to keep it clear of the election, but it certainly wouldn't have changed any minds at the ballot box.

But everything you say, except that he resigned because of an affair is nothing but supposition and conjecture, there is no substance there. This is just a tiny hook on which to hand another Toni Hackler fact-free diatribe against Obama, the Democratic Party and to vent your frustration at LOSING.

Tough, get over it. Barack Obama won fair and square (not something which can be said of George W. Bush) both times. I assume that now the election is over you'll be disappearing back into the woodwork for another 4 years, until there's another election to fight and you can post Republican boiler plate and talking points again as if they're your own opinions.

Rob

Collapse -
Surprisingly enough Rob
by TONI H / November 9, 2012 10:29 PM PST

I have no frustration over the loss.......I have frustration over the loss of this country because of it. And, no, I'm not going away. I didn't go away before over politics so your assumption is incorrect. When YOU left, did you go because of politics or because, like me, you realized you weren't in control of yourself anymore and needed the break from the constant crap that SE has/had become..........just to come back and find out that nothing had changed at all here? Without any Conservatives around much anymore, it must have gotten awfully boring to have to talk with people who totally agreed with everything. lol

As for my post, I'm not the only one doing some speculation about his resignation and the timing of the announcement. And there are no rules in SE that disallows speculation so tuff it out, hon....or let it eat away at you. I don't care either way.

Collapse -
(NT) Impugning motive?
by JP Bill / November 9, 2012 6:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Does one have anything to do with the other?
by Roger NC / November 9, 2012 7:44 AM PST

His retirement, dismissal, disgrace, whatever....... does it have anything to do with your statement he won't testify before the Senate?

Collapse -
Out of curiosity,you'd think being the head of the CIA......
by Tony Holmes / November 9, 2012 8:31 AM PST

he should have been a little more skilled at being covert with his affair Happy

Collapse -
Guilt get to him or maybe a whistle about to blow?
by Steven Haninger / November 9, 2012 9:17 AM PST

He's doomed to a life of...writing books about his life. Happy

Collapse -
"A whistle to blow"
by Josh K / November 9, 2012 9:56 PM PST

Isn't that (apparently) what this is all about? Devil

Collapse -
With a news reporter yet...
by Steven Haninger / November 9, 2012 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: "A whistle to blow"

That would be a cardinal sin if such a discovery was made in security background check. I believe we called these EBCs. Another Mata Hari? Sounds like the book might sell. Devil

Collapse -
(NT) My mistake...not a news writer but biographer
by Steven Haninger / November 10, 2012 2:03 AM PST
Collapse -
I think it's just an excuse
by James Denison / November 9, 2012 9:30 AM PST

to leave the job behind. Once it's known it's not like he can be blackmailed about it. Too bad Bill Clinton didn't have the same principles.

Collapse -
That's a heck of an "excuse"
by Josh K / November 10, 2012 4:16 AM PST

If I was looking for an excuse to leave a job, I sure wouldn't pick one that would ruin me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.