Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

chucking MS Office... Am I an insane person?

by JohnTNJ / August 23, 2010 11:18 PM PDT

Just got new VAIO running 7(64bit) and not loaded with productivity software. Also got a new Droid2 in the same "upgrade life now" moment. Previously used MS Office on XP for email, calendar, contacts, notes, etc. Also used MS Word. Now deciding whether to migrate over to open source and cloud-based to the extent possible. Thus the question for my cnet compatriots: Is shifting to OpenOffice for business and personal use a good option? How about an email client... Thunderbird? I want to use the new laptop and droid as seemlessly and efficiently as possible. Just not sure if OpenOffice is a good way to go or what my other options are. THANK YOU for any thoughts and comments. Cheers.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: chucking MS Office... Am I an insane person?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: chucking MS Office... Am I an insane person?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In, come Open Office ?
by Papa Echo / August 28, 2010 2:58 PM PDT

You need to try it out to see if you can take to it. Works and looks like MS Office.[not exactly, of course.]. Read all about it at Openoffice.org. For some, it takes only a day, or 30 minutes to say "Yes" or "No". It may take less tome for you... No, you are not insane.

Collapse -
Open Office
by manmur / August 30, 2010 4:56 PM PDT

I have used Open Office for a few years now and I like it. Sure there is a learning curve. One of the things I personally like is the fact that you can set the Writer to remember long words so you save your self some time when doing reports.

Also Oxygen Office and Go-OO is highly recommended by Download.com users. Go-OO is simply a 'faster' version of Open Office.

you are not completely insane.

manmur

Collapse -
I should add
by manmur / August 30, 2010 4:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Open Office

That Oxygen Office and Go-OO are both based on Open Office.

Manmur

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.