Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Chrome will not hold Homepage or New Tab Settings

by oregoncountry / April 9, 2013 12:30 AM PDT

Here is my laptop info:

Chrome will not hold settings. Here are things I've tried:
Reinstalled Chrome

Super anti spyware
MS Essentials

Also tried about:config to change the URL addy but IE is opened as default when I hit return on about:config and IE is not my default browser, Chrome is. But, when IE opens I get the message "Navigation to webpage was cancelled".

Can anyone shed light on this for me? I really would so appreciate any help, Denise

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chrome will not hold Homepage or New Tab Settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chrome will not hold Homepage or New Tab Settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
About the reinstall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 12:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
No, I didn't.
by oregoncountry / April 9, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: About the reinstall.

Thank you Bob. I will follow your link and thank you again, Denise

Collapse -
So should I uninstall again
by oregoncountry / April 9, 2013 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: No, I didn't.

first? Or just go straight through the instructions on the link? I just didn't see anyplace that talked about deleting user data folders. Maybe this link replaces those folders, kind of sounds that way. I just want to do this right but I am sorry to have to write again to make sure, Denise

Thank you much, I feel better already just having someone to help me.

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 3:17 AM PDT

I guess I could find such a place to talk about deleting that folder but thought finding it would suffice.

Once in a while a member will want all answered vetted along with web links and instructional videos but as I type my answers in by hand and volunteer this information I can't do that much work for what should be an easy thing to try.

In other words, I'd exit Chrome, delete those folders (or back them up and delete) then try again. Why this issue occurs would require a discussion on its own and delve into how things got to this point, developer views, companies that can't shoot straight and the economy.

Collapse -
I understand your frustration
by oregoncountry / April 9, 2013 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Your choice.

but I want you to know that you fixed my problem after suffering with it for 2 weeks. I am very grateful. I was confused but I just went ahead with what the link said to do and it is fixed. I apologize for not trying that first. I was nervous I might be missing a step and just be back in the same boat.

Thank you Robert, I hope I can help in some way on cnet eventually. Denise

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2013 4:08 AM PDT

Thanks for the report and it's nice to read I possibly help find a cure.

I don't mind folk asking for the vetting of the answers but that takes far longer than what I can invest in any answer. I have been known to detail such when it's something that is like a high wire maneuver over Manhattan without a net. But this one looked a little less scary.

Collapse -
by oregoncountry / April 9, 2013 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to read.

Ok, well, with piles of homework and feeling very helpless with my limited knowledge of a computer, your help, again, was GREATLY appreciated.

PS I don't forsee any daredevil acts in my future so I won't be plaguing you with those types of question;) denise

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.