Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Choppy Internet Connection

by omerta2177 / April 30, 2006 10:08 PM PDT

Ever since my fiance got home and began using her laptop VIA wireless connection our internet connectivity is choppy and pages load slower than before. I thought it might just be her computer until I went upstairs to my laptop (which I also use wireless) and mine was a little slow too. We have one router connected to her desktop and cable modem and then of course my laptop and her laptop run wireless off of that. It seems that when she and I are on our respective laptops accessing the wireless connection our internet amongst other applications are a bit choppy. Any solution for this? She shut down her laptop and I went upstairs to get on mine and it was running beautifully again. Thanks for any help on this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choppy Internet Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choppy Internet Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Chop chop. What pest control do you use?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2006 11:15 PM PDT

Today's pests require more than what most will install (Norton or other suite.)

Try these (found with google.com)

- EWIDO
- HOUSECALL

Both free and I eject all they find.

Bob

Collapse -
Pest Control
by omerta2177 / May 1, 2006 1:24 AM PDT

I am running Symantec Antivirus version 10.2, Spywareblaster, Adaware SE, Windows Defender, and Spybot S&D. I ran all the updates on her laptop when my fiance got home and all seems to be in order. It was running choppy and slow so at first yeah I thought it might be spyware or virus issues but then I went upstairs to my laptop running wireless and it too was running slower than normal. My question is simply if you have more than one laptop running wireless off of the same router can it cause slower connectivity? I shut hers down and WHAM mine was running fine again.

Collapse -
So what did EWIDO and HOUSECALL find?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2006 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Pest Control

Your list is good, but for 2000 and XP I use these 2.

Also, consider you are on wireless so that's a shared connection. Who's to tell what security you deployed and maybe someone is mooching off your connection?

Or if their connection is hurting yours, any pest not found could cause this OR if the downstairs unit is runnning P2P apps OR running at 802.11b speed...

Bob

Collapse -
I will try Housecall
by omerta2177 / May 1, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

I have to say that I do have my router firewalled and renamed and the whole 9 yards....also I have to sign on whenever I access it with a security key. I dont think anyone can get to it unless they are hackers and have the proper stuff to do it. I will run housecall and check it out though. Standby.

Collapse -
Housecall found nothing
by omerta2177 / May 1, 2006 12:36 PM PDT

Computer seems to be running better so maybe the problem has subsided. Symentac real time protection detected a few threats on the computer the last couple days that have since been quarantined so maybe they were the issue?? Anyway thanks for the help. I am considering making my wireless laptops able to print to my printer while running wireless. I have yet to explore how to do that, I guess that will be my next question on here.

Collapse -
And EWIDO?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2006 12:49 PM PDT

It covers items not test by Norton or Housecall.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.