Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Choppy, colorless wallpaper

by furb2u / January 29, 2009 3:12 AM PST

Received old, free CPU that had XP Pro but parts of that OS were missing. No disk. Deleted NTFS, installed Win 95 (all 23 floppies), then Me upgrade (would not boot from Me boot floppy).
Before removing the XP, the wallpapers I made from BMPs were showing just fine. Now all wallpapers are showing very poorly, my personal wallpapers are on the list but now are not in color and are very choppy. One of them does not show at all. I have them in both Windows and Windows/Web/Wallpaper. Active desktop is set for web content. Setting says 16 colors (only other choice is 2 colors) and 640 by 480 (cannot be moved). I do not know what the previous settings were. I have tried reloading the monitor driver but it tells me I have the best driver for standard monitor. Monitor is ProView. I tried loading color profiles and applying them but made no difference. Icons are still in color and not choppy.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choppy, colorless wallpaper
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choppy, colorless wallpaper
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 3:27 AM PST

-> Install the video card driver. And only you know the make, model of your gear so I can't offer more about where to find them.

Collapse -
Video card
by furb2u / January 30, 2009 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: Next.

It's not just a video card. Appears to be a plastic device that has video, serial and parallel ports. Can't read a number and can't get it out. I'll have to wait for someone else to do that, since it's more complicated than a simple card. Then maybe I can get a name and number. The CD RW was pretty frustrating, since it didn't say anything about Mitsumi, only HP. Finally found that driver and the number is slightly different from the number on the unit. Thanks.

Collapse -
What you might consider is Linux.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: Video card

I've used Ubuntu to boot up and explore machines with unknown stuff.

However a long discussion came to fast conclusion when they revealed it was not some random collection of parts but a HP a177w. Once they wrote that the link to drivers was just too easy to find.
Bob

Collapse -
Linux
by furb2u / January 30, 2009 5:01 AM PST

I had never thought of that. This computer has two HD, so I could put Linux on D. I'll try to get that done today or tomorrow. I'd have to keep Win on C cuz the person I'm giving it to needs to learn how to use Win. Wouldn't hurt him to learn Linux, too. Thanks. I'll check back to see if you tell me to kill the thought of using D drive for Linux. Otherwise, I'll let you know what happens.

Collapse -
Why pur Linux on it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Linux

When we can boot up off the Ubuntu CD and run it without installing, why would we disturb someone's machine just to do a look see at what hardware may be reported?

Collapse -
If it's only for reporting hardware ...
by Kees Bakker / January 30, 2009 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Linux

try Belarc or Everest in ME. Easy, if it works.

Kees

Collapse -
Ubuntu
by furb2u / January 30, 2009 6:35 AM PST

Sorry, I thought Ubuntu was part of Linux. I'll try that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.