Tablets forum

Question

Choosing Windows RT/8 tablets

by dlutter / November 17, 2012 1:29 AM PST

I am in the market for a tablet to serve as a laptop substitute, but not entire replacement. Its primary purpose will be reading and organizing PDFs, but I also would like the ability to edit MS office files. Productivity limitations don't matter because I will have relatively ready access to my laptop or workplace desktops. I am primarily focused on Win RT/8 because I want the ability to easily access and transfer files between computers and networks (home network and remote home access to my work/school network).

Having access to Mendeley reference manager is an eventual must have. Mendeley is an open source reference manager and as such new features/apps aren't the most speedy to be released. I know there have been requests for a Win store or Win 8 Mendeley app but I am not sure if the Mendeley team is working on it.

Because I am not sure of the availability of a Windows store Mendeley app, Android tablets are still under consideration. Unless a screaming deal appears during the holiday shopping season(this is why I am posting now instead of next year), I will likely wait to purchase until after more tablets are introduced at CES 2013. This is because of rumors of $300-400 range RT tabs and the potential for discounts on the current crop of RT tabs. Budget is in the $600 range, but would like to be sub $500 if I could get there with at touch/type cover.

1. Is there a huge difference between Surface RT and Vivo Tab RT? Other than the keyboard attachments and Surface's kickstand, I don't see much to separate the two based on the online reviews.

2. Assuming a Mendeley app appears for Win RT, is there a reason to look at full blown Win 8 tablets for my purposes?

3. Given my desire for easy file transfer between computers/networks and MS office file editing, are Android tablets worth consideration (mostly looking at the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700) or is it too much hassel?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. R. Proffit, I have read most of your posts on the recent tablets threads and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choosing Windows RT/8 tablets
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choosing Windows RT/8 tablets
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The orphan product that will be Win RT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 1:55 AM PST

Sorry but are we to ignore the elephant in the room here? That is, we see how Microsoft treated Windows 7 and 7.5 Phone owners and will you learn from that?

Since RT is not open to use installing apps our choices are next to minimal in case we need to go get something like Foxit instead.

About Android. It is more open and I can transfer files just fine. However at the prices I see, why not an Ultrabook?
Bob

Collapse -
Ahh yes, why not an Ultrabook?
by dlutter / November 17, 2012 10:49 AM PST

Primarily because I don't want to deal with the keyboard all of the time. The convertible/hybrid devices I have seen in stores and read about online are too thick and heavy compared and too pricey compared to either the Surface or Vivo Tab. Is there a convertible/hybrid true Ultrabook currently available or announced?

Point taken about the non Windows store apps, but I only have one must have app. The rest can be covered by my home desktop or laptop. I will have to wait and see if that appears in the Windows store. That will make the decision between RT and Pro.

Not sure what you mean about Windows 7/7.5 phones, but as long as the tablet does what I want (PDFs and limited MS office, plays some video, email, ebooks, and allows web surfing) I don't really care about further upgrades.

How do you transfer files with your droid tablet? Can you connect to a network server?

Thanks for addressing questions 2 & 3. Anyone have thoughts on question 1 or further input for 2 & 3?

Collapse -
Here's what I mean about what MSFT did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 10:58 AM PST

Read http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-of-course-we-threw-windows-phone-7-buyers-under-the-bus-7000000222/

As to the transfer on our androids (explanation is in order which I'll do next). Our office is working on apps and we can transfer via network, cloud, email, ftp and more. Sort of wide open compared to some devices.

Question 1. I defer to http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/asus-vivo-tab-rt/4505-3126_7-35477938.html
My answer to 1. Can't see anything that would sway me here.

-> If there is any good thing about Win RT its' getting Office for almost free. Beyond that the folk I know that develop apps are not buying into MSFT's current game plan. Did you read how much a cut MSFT takes from us developers?

Bob

Collapse -
I understand what you mean
by dlutter / November 17, 2012 2:38 PM PST

about Windows phone. I haven't heard anything about how much Microsoft take from developer, but I will guess it is an unreasonable amount based on your post. I can understand your position a little better.

I just found a post deep in the Mendeley feedback forums that they will not be working on a Windows RT app in the near future but that it will run on Windows 8.
http://feedback.mendeley.com/forums/4941-general/suggestions/3016009-make-a-windows-8-rt-metro-app-for-mendeley

That changes things for me. I have some futher research to do, as I have completely ignored the Windows 8 tablets until now(and haven't seen one in stores to try out). I definitely will give Android a harder look. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others, as I haven't seen one like it so far. Thanks for the discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.