Phones forum

General discussion

Choosing the right cell phone live chat with CNET editors, Jessica Dolcourt and Bonnie Cha

by CNET Event admin / October 19, 2011 9:47 AM PDT
***This event has ended ***

See below for transcript of this event and click here to see all previous events

Whether you're buying a cell phone for yourself or as a holiday gift, there's a lot you need to know. Choosing a phone is one thing, but you also need to select a plan and a carrier. We can help walk you through the process.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choosing the right cell phone live chat with CNET editors, Jessica Dolcourt and Bonnie Cha
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choosing the right cell phone live chat with CNET editors, Jessica Dolcourt and Bonnie Cha
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is there audio portion to this event?

Enter text here.

Collapse -
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:27 AM PST

This is a live text chat : )

Collapse -

Will the out sourcing of blackberry enterprise server be the begining of the end of the blackberry handset?

Collapse -

So, how do I choose a phone?

Collapse -
Start here
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: Alan
Collapse -

Welcome to this week's edition of Ask the Editors! We're
dedicating this hour, fingers poised over the keyboard, to answering
burning questions about cell phones. We may not be able to answer all of
you, but we're going to do our best. We also won't be able to dive into
technical questions, so please continue to use the Forums for those.

Collapse -
Perfect Candidate for this Event

My contract is up with Sprint. I want to move to AT&T or Verizon. Cannot decide on service or phone. Want an iphone or LTE phone. Help me decide.

Collapse -
Depends on coverage area
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:30 AM PST

Dirtybully81: I would ask your neighbors, co-workers, etc, about their experience with cell phone coverage in your area to see whether Verizon or AT&T would be the better way to go. Also, remember that Verizon's LTE network has been around longer and thus, covers more markets, whereas AT&T just launched theirs a few months ago and has limited coverage for now.

Collapse -
new phone upgrade

I'm due for a new upgrade through Verizon, and I'm not sure if I want the Razr or wait for the new Samsung Nexus that should be coming out in a few weeks. Battery life is rather important.

Collapse -
Yes it is
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: new phone upgrade

I'm running battery drain tests on the Galaxy Nexus right now. The rule of thumb with these smartphones is that you usually get about a full day. The difference of an hour here and there is pretty minimal in my opinion, compared to other factors of consideration.

Collapse -

Hi, I am a new yorker and debating between Verizon for the best coverage. is it true verion is the best in ny?

Collapse -
Depends on where you are
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: David

There are always many factors in play with signal strength--where you are physically, if there are tall buildings blocking signal, how congested the cells are. Generally speaking, Verizon has strong coverage in New York.

Collapse -
Android Phones

Is the Galaxy Nexus hype all that it will live up to be or is it just about the ICS?

Collapse -
All about ice cream
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Android Phones

The hardware itself is very nice, but nothing truly special or eye-catching. The camera somewhat disappointed just because Samsung has very good 8-megapixel camera phones on the market and didn't use it here. The OS is definitely the major draw, and it's nicely implemented.

Collapse -
Droid 4

Is there any word on when the Motorola Droid 4 will be available? Any advance release on specs for the same?

Collapse -
Droid 4 rumors
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Droid 4

Hey dlogan,

Collapse -
NFC Phone Reccomendations

I currently use the original Motorola Droid. It's now off contract and slow as molasses and I'd like to upgrade to something newer. I am only interested in a phone that supports NFC as many retailers I already utilize have those pads which I use with my AmEx Blue card.

As far as I know, there is one Sprint phone which I haven't seen glowing reviews about, and another coming out on VZW soon. I don't "have" to stay with VZW, but it would be easier. Thoughts on what is out now and what is worth waiting for?

Would rather wait another 3-6 months to buy the right phone than buy now and regret my decision.

Collapse -
Only a few options
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:35 AM PST

If you stick with Verizon, you can get the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which has NFC. The Sprint phone I think you're referring to is the Samsung Nexus S, which also has NFC. It's a good phone, but not as premium as the Galaxy Nexus. Howeve,r the Nexus S should be one of the first to get the new Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

Collapse -
Is it worthy to go from iphone 4 to iphone 4s

I am eligible for an upgrade in a week, I currently have the iphone 4, is it worthy to upgrade to the 4s from the 4

Collapse -
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:37 AM PST

Hi there,

Collapse -
Husband and Wife changing phones

I have a Palm Pre + on verizon and my husband has a basic phone and is in love with his itouch so wants to upgrade to a smartphone, probably an iphone. I'm undecided but am leaning towards a droid bionic. What is your advice?

Collapse -
What do you like?
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:37 AM PST

Sounds like you're Verizon customers. The iPhone 4S is a great phone, and so is the Droid Bionic; however, it's been unseated by the Motorola Droid Razr. The Razr is high-end, but also very stylized. I think when it comes to this, you should think about what you value--is it camera, look and feel, something else? The D. Razr is very thin, but if you don't like the way it feels in the hand, it's not the phone for you. I also really like the HTC Rezound for Verizon, and it comes with a pair of higher-end in-ear buds if you're a music fan.

Collapse -
Best Value

I believe I can find a phone I like with nearly all carriers. I have a broad question: Which carrier represents the best value for a new family plan?

Collapse -
Sprint or T-Mobile
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: Best Value

Sprint and T-Mobile have traditionally offered the most reasonable rates on all their plans. They both have some interesting phones right now, and if you're not dying to have an iPhone, T-Mobile also throws in some good deals and customer service.

Collapse -
Looking to finally get a smartphone with Verizon

I am up for an upgrade from my basic phone with Verizon. Their current offer of twice the data with the purchase of a 4G smartphone is enticing. But being new to smartphones, which ones can you recommend for a first-timer? I checked the coverage and 4G is not yet available in my area. Thanks!

Collapse -
Several ways to go
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:44 AM PST

You can go two ways with this. You can go entry-level in price (and features) or go all in. If you're uncomfortable spending a lot on a new phone, a more entry level device is a good call. however, if you're willing to make an investment, I say get more phone with your money. You'll use it more often than you know. With VZ, you have your choice of Android and iPhone (not yet a fantastic Windows Phone with them). Here are some tips with choosing the right mobile OS for you:

As for phones: Illusion, Enlighten, and Breakout are good entry-level. Rezound, Droid Razr, Rhyme are more premium.

Collapse -

Hi all, So I am on the edge of getting a new BB. What are the reviews of the new ones, for example the Bold and the newer Torches

Collapse -
BlackBerry reviews
by bonnie.cha CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: blackberrys

Hey jhampa,

Collapse -
Android vs i-phone

Are top of the line android phones as reliable as i-phones?

Collapse -
Depends on what you mean
by J-Do CNET staff / November 29, 2011 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Android vs i-phone

It depends on what you mean by "reliable." I haven't had a lot of problems using Android phones, and I think there's a myth about iPhone too. I've had plenty of software stickiness and weird hanging and crashing on the iPhone 4 I use.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.