Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Choosing a new laptop

by CSantoRN / September 15, 2012 12:31 AM PDT

So after almost 6 years on my old Toshiba it is time for a new laptop. I am not a big gamer but would like something that I could play Americas Army online and maybe Diablo 3 with.
Been looking at a few different ones but think I may have decided on an Asus N76VZ-DS71. Anybody have an experience with these? Can it handle gaming decently, my old Toshiba was terrible with games due to the integrated graphics I see this model comes with a 2GB dedicated card.

CSantoRN has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choosing a new laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choosing a new laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by CSantoRN

Collapse -
Nice choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2012 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Choosing a new laptop

It's a gamer laptop plain and simple. As long as you can live with 2 year life spans (they usually last longer) then you are a candidate for a gaming laptop. There is that other negative issue with 17 inch laptops. Students should NEVER get those. The extra size has resulted in early deaths of the laptops. More bending, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by CSantoRN / September 15, 2012 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice choice.

I am not concerned with the size since I am no longer a student and it will be used solely around the house. Why do you say it has only a 2 year life span are they known to crash after that? My Toshiba has lasted me close to 6 years and is only getting replaced because it it too outdated to handle todays software.

Collapse -
I have to go with yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2012 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

Just like a high end sports car, more car, less life than your average sedan. Your Tosh was a sedan (no offense intended.)

Unless I hear the new owner is OK with more repairs, upkeep and shorter life spans, then I worry.
Bob

Collapse -
Multimedia vs game
by CSantoRN / September 15, 2012 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to go with yes.

On Xotic PC they classified it as a multimedia PC, I thought the gamer PCs were the G75 series. I want a laptop that will last 4 or so years without crashing is that a reasonable expectation for the N series?

Collapse -
Nodding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Multimedia vs game

Yes, everyone wants one of those. So far I've yet to see a crash proof gamer laptop that the maker will give you a 4 year warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Asus N7 series
by pgc3 / September 15, 2012 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Choosing a new laptop

Now that is a nice laptop, a friend of mine purchased one of the N-7 series (gamer) and it is reallllllly nice....so I wouldn't blame you if you picked one up, my friend loves his.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.