Computer Help forum

General discussion

Choice of New OS

by rayfrailes / June 29, 2009 11:40 PM PDT

Hi
I have been using my HP Presario Notebook 2504 60Gig Hard Drive,1 Gig Ram,2.6 Gig Intel Celeron Processor, with Windows XP Home 2003 +SP3

The old HP is getting a little old and slow,and I think it needs to be replaced, but with what operating system ?

I like XP,and my Printer, Voip Service and Digital Camera software all work ok( but slowly)with XP !

I don't do gaming but some file sharing on Movies & Music

Because we are UK expats living in Spain, we depend very much on the 2 Voip Services ( Skype & Voipstunt) to keep in touch with the world on our 2 Meg Broadband service.

The comments on Vista & W7 don't inspire me enough to go this route, can I stick with XP for another 5-7 years.

I guess I will go for a new "Tower" unit this time with either a Dual or Quad Processor and of course the 4 Meg Ram and 160 Gig Hard Drive, but any comments on the OS System would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Choice of New OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Choice of New OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"of course the 4 Meg Ram and 160 Gig Hard
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2009 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Choice of New OS

Whoops. I bet that's 4 GB RAM.

However will you be upset if XP (the usual version) reports 2.75 GB RAM?

Examples at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=2.75+GB+RAM

Here we have fine workplace machines on 512MB RAM and same at home but a few with 1 or 2GB RAM but none really show much more speed due to the RAM.

Why 4GB RAM?
Bob

PS. About Window 7. I'm going there ASAP.

Collapse -
by rayfrailes / June 29, 2009 11:57 PM PDT

Well spotted Bob, 4 Gig RAM yes.

Why, because I have read that if I install Vista ( not by choice) it requires 2 Gig of RAM to operate.

I have "assumed" the larger RAM capacity will assist in use of telephony ?

regards

Collapse -
Doubtful. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2009 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

More RAM does not increase your usual telephony's application's speed. In fact more RAM can increase an OS's workload as it shuffles applications around to build up more contiguous open areas of RAM. This area is in the deep end of the discussion pool so beware that while I am a programmer from assembler to today's systems let's not go there.

I will share that my tests with Windows 7 RC on 512MB and 1GB showed no real memory shortage issues. You are looking at 2 to 4 times that so all that one might have to do is to wait another month to see what others say.

Here I'm writing "Skip Vista, get 7 and for those that must stay on XP let me stay."
Bob

Collapse -
by rayfrailes / June 30, 2009 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Doubtful. Here's why.

Hi Bob.

Thanks for the reply again,I have time to wait for more info on 7 before I decide on the OS choice later in the year.

regards

Collapse -
No cures, just marketing
by Willy / June 30, 2009 7:41 AM PDT

If your system is slow with XP, its not going to improve with Win7. Win7 is very much like Vista only slimmer or just to say, cleaned-up abit. Overall, Vista does well on any system that can support it. The same advice applies to any OS. If your h/w is getting old, the new OS from MS have proven to be resource hogs until finely tuned in time with the expert advice and true meaning of makes the OS get along. So think new system if you can afford it to reduce new OS headaches as it readily supports the new OS and capable to expand as well should the need arise. You can try the Win7(on old system) and install it and go from there and allow experience dictate your final result.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I was lucky to wipe a working XP system and install 7 RC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

It booted faster than XP and all around was very nimble. It certainly installed faster than XP. XP is going to have a following so be sure make your own decisions on that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.