Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Chkdsk stuck at "verifying free space"

by George.G / July 19, 2006 3:33 PM PDT

Win XP Pro SP2..why does CHKDSK keep freezing when it gets to stage 5.(verifying free space) 0%.
Yes, Ive run all my hard drive diagnostic tools (Seagate) and no problems found! Thank's in advance for all help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chkdsk stuck at "verifying free space"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chkdsk stuck at "verifying free space"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There may be a clue
by eddie11013 / July 20, 2006 6:00 AM PDT

in Eventvwr.exe. Click start/run type eventvwr.exe hit enter or OK. Click on applications and look at winlog, I believe, click properties and then go to any 'help' it may provide. You can also check any 'warnings' that you see in any of the three classes.
A beginning,

Collapse -
How large is the Drive and ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 20, 2006 10:42 AM PDT

how long are you giving it before deciding that it is "stuck"?

If there are any bad sectors on the disk (and very few have none) it can take a while (especially on a large disk).

Collapse -
Yes! When I last Did It, Free Space was By Far the Slowest..
by tobeach / July 20, 2006 3:25 PM PDT

part & I also started wondering if stuck as it stayed on 0% for soooo long but then it jumped straight to 6% in one move. It proceeded normally (slow) from there forward.
I wonder if the process is also subject to the defrag problem when free space on disk gets low? Needs space to kick everything to free space temporarily to refile it back to normal space (can't do if too low).Hmmm ConfusedHappy

Collapse -
This might help you...

with understanding it

Undoubtedly you will immediately note that it was not written for XP and doesn't mention Step 5 but that is only because stage 5 is simply a continuation of stage 4 and neither will happen unless the /r switch is used.

I offered that one because it is more informative than this one for XP (which does mention stage 5) and should be read BEFORE this one for more thorough understanding.

In short a large drive with mostly free space (unused) will take a long time in stage 5 as every sector is being tested and verified.

By the way, since I don't spend much time here, should you find someone who is having trouble running defrag in NT, Win2K, or XP point them to to download and run the CLI file and disk utility CONTIG. It does clearly indicate it is intended to be used for specific named files BUT it will work on an entire drive or partition rather quickly using wildcards and a recurse switch ( c:\>contig -s d:\*.* )

Collapse -
Thanks V. Much for the Links & Info !! You're Right, I Miss
by tobeach / July 21, 2006 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: This might help you...

seeing your posts here, as I always found them informative, useful & precise. Good to know you're keeping busy!

Collapse -
Thank's guys!
by George.G / July 22, 2006 1:08 PM PDT

And thank-you Ed.
It's a Seagate (ST3120022A) 120 gig harddrive about 4 months old. And when I say stuck on #5 "verifying free space" I mean stuck for more than 12 hours before I shut it down! It never moves past 0%. Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Did you ever get it to restart?
by Jim Rokes / July 26, 2006 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank's guys!

Hi, my computer (XP SP2) is also doing the same thing, it's been stuck at stage 5 for hours. Did you ever get past stage 5? What can I do to get windows to come up? i need help!

Collapse -
by George.G / July 26, 2006 8:53 PM PDT

After days of fooling around with the CHKDSK problem, I finally found the culprit! I had updated my VIA Bus Master Ide Controller, when I rolled back the driver to the previous version (Microsoft) CHKDSK ran without a hitch! Go figure! Thanks to all for your replies and help!

Collapse -
Go Figure
by Trance_Zac / July 27, 2006 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: CHKDSK

Imagine that, a Microsoft program that required Microsoft drivers to run.

I guess bigger isn't always better!

Collapse -
by wawadave / July 28, 2006 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Go Figure

thx for letting us know what fixed it.

Collapse -
chkdsk crash
by maflomag1 / December 23, 2011 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: CHKDSK

How does that work, I have the same problem with a dell inspiron 1525 vista, help!!!

Collapse -
You're posting to
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 23, 2011 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: chkdsk crash

a 2006 discussion.

Better to create your own thread and post full details of the problem.

Collapse -
Chkdsk stuck at ''verifying free space''
by gsn2 / July 29, 2006 1:10 PM PDT

Hi George,

I Learned The Hard Way. I Use to run into the same Problem, and The Way I solved it Was By Running Diskeeper First. But I Run It In Boot Time First To Make Sure That My Paging Files Are Clean. Then I Run The Full DeFrag After. Then Run My Error Checking.

You Will Find That It Will Cut Down Your Error Checking Time By 40 percent.

I use:

Executive Software International, Inc.

Version: 8.0.478.0

They Have Newer Version's Out But I Like This One The best

Good Luck

Just So you Know, I let My Laptop Run (14) HOURS one time just to see how long it would take to get through Stage 5, and I had run Error Checking Just 3 Day Prior

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.