Computer Help forum

General discussion

CHKDSK Seemingly Stuck on Stage 5

by mblyng / April 27, 2009 1:07 PM PDT

Hi all,

I'm not great with computers, but I'm pretty determined to fix mine (Dell Latitude D630 w. XP) and could use some help. My computer was acting hinky (my IE and Mozilla weren't working and programs were failing to launch, etc.) and I thought I had a virus, so I tried to download additional software to supplement the firewall/malware/virus protection software that I already had installed. No dice. Then, I got a message something about "genuine" something or another. The fix for that was to run chkdsk. I tried to run chkdsk while in Windows. No dice. So, I checked the box that allowed chkdsk to run upon reboot. Well...that was three days ago. The computer literally just got through stage four after finding and correcting many errors. Now, it's been three hours and my computer is stuck at stage 5 "verifying free space" at 0%.

So, what do I do now? a) Just hang on, eventually, it will finish? b) Try to reboot and go through again? (I'm a little afraid of this option as it took so long before) c) Try to reboot and skip chkdsk? - would need instructions on how to do this. The REAL issue is that I cannot get past the chkdsk to get to windows or any kind of command prompts....

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CHKDSK Seemingly Stuck on Stage 5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CHKDSK Seemingly Stuck on Stage 5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Three Days Is Too Long.. At This Point..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2009 2:45 PM PDT

Depress the power button for 15 seconds and the computer should turn off. Wait about a minute, then press the power button again to start the computer.. It should start running Chkdsk again.. There may, or may not be an option to press any key and stop the process.. Actually, I would let it try again just to see what happens.. If it "sticks" again on Stage 5, press the power button in again and try to exit Chkdsk. Generally, Stage 5 problems (Verifying Free Space) means there is a bad sector or hard disk error of some type.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by mblyng / April 27, 2009 8:53 PM PDT

Hi Grif,

There's not an option to stop Chkdsk (I already restarted once on Sat.) upon restart. I let it sit overnight and now it appears that it's one percent complete - does that make a difference in your advice? Sorry to be dense.

Collapse -
Well, OUR Computers Have An Option To Stop Chkdsk ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 28, 2009 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

When the computer restarts and first loads to the blue disc check screen, there is a sentence which says: "A disc check has been scheduled. To skip disc checking, press any key within X seconds".. Pressing any key exits the disc check and takes you to the normal login window.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Help me please?? Got a chkdsk problem.... :(
by nightshimmer / August 17, 2010 6:06 AM PDT

Heya, can anybody help me please? Basically, I had a BSOD problem (Kernal Stack Error) and tried the chkdsk to try and sort out the bad sectors or registry or whatever was wrong with it. Anyway, the screen stayed at 'Verifying USN Journal complete stage 3 of 3'.

It was like that for like 2 hours before I gave up and rebooted but now I cant get into the windows welcome screen and can't skip the scan. Can't get into Safemode either, it gets stuck on the loading drivers part. Help please?

Collapse -
Re: chkdsk problem
by Kees Bakker / August 17, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

The most useful hit I could find:
That says: just try again. You might have to boot into the recovery console from your XP CD, or the equivalent in Vista of Windows 7 (you didn't tell your OS).

Chkdsk, by the way, can check out bad sectors, but only if you instruct it to do so. It's a separate subprocess. Moreover, if a hard disk bad does have bad sectors, it's best to replace it immediately. And chkdsk certainly doesn't do anything with the registry.

If rerunning it a few times doesn't help, all you can do is a clean install of the OS, including deleting the current partition and rebuilding it. But if it's a hardware issue (very well possibly) that might fail also. Then the first thing to do would be to try another (new?) hard disk.

Collapse -
Ahh but then you see there's the problem....:(
by nightshimmer / August 17, 2010 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: chkdsk problem

Thanks for the quick reply btw Happy
The thing is, I don't have a windows xp recovery cd/disk. Something about not being under warranty anymore? I dunno, it was my uncle who got me the pc and handled everything, I'm only a teen lol. Erm, yh...what do i do now? eek! :S

Collapse -
I Usually Solve Such With A Repair Install Of XP
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 17, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Disk? :(
by nightshimmer / August 17, 2010 7:14 AM PDT

Again, thanks for the quick reply. And again, like I said above, I don't have any recovery disks. there anyway I can sort this out without one? Sad Or do I need to buy a whole new hard drive...which I really don't wanna do unless I had no other choice cos it sounds very complicated...what with specific software disks, installing certain drivers argh! >.<

Collapse -
If It's A Brand Name Computer, Contact The Company..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 17, 2010 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk? :(

..The manufacturer will usually supply you a new set of Recovery discs for a minimal price..

A computer without a recovery disc of some type is not a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.