Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

CHKDSK keeps repeating and restarting WinXP - what's wrong?

by sen / August 4, 2006 1:38 AM PDT

I ran CHKDSK for errors on Windows XP Pro on the C: drive of my IBM laptop, with both options of 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' being checked before I rebooted. The disk check happened, the computer restarted, CHKDSK started again, and the whole process kept repeating itself until I had to press any key to stop CHKDSK within 10 seconds. After this the computer stopped working, and I had to do a forced shutdown and restart to get it to work again. I had Windows XP reloaded last week due to a Map Network Drive error which couldn't be sorted out for a number of weeks...

My C: drive contains just Win XP, the D: drive has all my documents.
Is it a hard disk issue, or is it a software problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CHKDSK keeps repeating and restarting WinXP - what's wrong?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CHKDSK keeps repeating and restarting WinXP - what's wrong?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a bad hard drive
by FallenHoney / August 4, 2006 1:44 AM PDT

Sounds like you have a bad hard drive. Try booting from your Windows XP disk and at the first screen choose "R" for repair. WHen the prompt appears choose "1" for the first XP installation and type the admin password (if there is one). then type "chkdsk /r" and see what it does. This way it should tell you if it finds errors on the drive as it fixes them. If the chkdsk gets to a point where it doesn't move for a while (an hour or so) or your computer spontaneously restarts, then you know it's a bad hard drive.

Collapse -
by VJ_LYNCH / August 4, 2006 1:58 AM PDT

i wouldnt use CHKDSK at all .
since win95 its been a crappy program .

is your computer working now or no ?.

if it is working -save all your important files.
and be rdy for a reformat if need be.

Collapse -
You're talking about scandisk.
by FallenHoney / August 4, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: bad

Chkdsk is a utility that was introduced with Windows 2000. It's gotten a bad rap because of scandisk and all the problems that came with that utility. Chkdsk is free, comprehensive and best of all it's easy to use, unlike other disk utilities available from disk manufacturers.

However, you are right about the backup. If the system will boot now, you had better start backing up your important data because it may not last long. Unfortunately, a "reformat" won't help in this situation, it may buy you a few more weeks of use from the drive but eventually it will die permanently.

Collapse -
by VJ_LYNCH / August 4, 2006 3:06 AM PDT

Im talking about CHKDSK, its been around since
Ms-Dos version 2. thats more than 10 yrs ago.

CHKDSK- as i stated before is a crappy program that Ms
should get rid of , and scan disk is the same.

neither one should be used.

Collapse -
Actually the current version hasn't.
by Edward ODaniel / August 4, 2006 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually

MS-DOS versions 2.x - 4.x used while
MS-DOS versions 5.x and beyond used chkdsk.exe.

NT has ALWAYS used a chkdsk.exe that is considerably more robust and capable with the NTFS file system.

For the 16 bit DOS version, the only difference between earlier versions and Win 95 came about with the advent of the FAT32 file system and that difference was negligible.

While you are entitled to your opinion, Chkdsk.exe is a quite effective utility and essential to certain recoveries when a re-installation is neither desirable nor practical.

It would be interesting to hear of your experience that caused your unwarranted bad regard of a useful utility.

Collapse -
by VJ_LYNCH / August 5, 2006 10:01 PM PDT

point was and is , its been around a long time.

was i supposed to remember it ver 5 instead of 2?.
guess i could have googled you did ?.

anyways 20+ yrs computer exp - my Opion is
CHKDSK is not a good program, in practical terms there is no reason to use it.
But you can google it and see the problems people have with it for yourself.

as for "unwarranted"??. i'll let you slide on that one... Its my opion and the opion of countless others.

but thats neither here nor there , considering
everyone has there likes and dislikes and Opions when it comes to hardware/software.

no different than 1 pc editor gives a piece of software a good review and another gives it a bad review.

I guess we'll have to the ying and yang on this subject.

Collapse -
by sen / August 4, 2006 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: bad

Bad hard drive is what worries me most. Yes the comp is now booted up and running fine, but I've lately been leaving it on perpetually on standby mode, I'm scared it won't boot again and I'll lose data. Some folks tell me this way is better than shutting it down, might prolong whatever life the HDD has. Some more questions:
A. Is leaving the comp on standby for prolonged periods good for the laptop's health?
B. Do I need to format both the C: and D: partitions, or just reformatting C: would be enough?
C. Do I need a change of HDD?

Collapse -
Replace hard drive
by FallenHoney / August 4, 2006 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Ouch...

Leaving the computer in standby shouldn't hurt it much. Formatting might get it to work again for a time, but you will most likely run into this issue again within a few days or weeks of use. It would be best to just bite the bullet, back up your important data and replace the hard drive.

Collapse -
by VJ_LYNCH / August 4, 2006 3:31 AM PDT

what caused you to run CHKDSK ?.
wer u having probs before ?.

Does your hard drive make a sound like its speeding up and slowing down on its own ? even though your not running any progs ?.

does it make a ticking or any odd sounds that it didnt make before ?.

1)always try to remember to save important info.
you may want to do that now if you can.

A)leaving anything on for long periods of time isnt good.

b)trick question - you have a laptop with 2 drives or 1 drive with 2 partitions ?.
--- either way you only need to format the one with the O.S on it .

c)depends , saving all your info to whatever backup u use then reformatting your drive , might be all it needs.

()-- if you have the money for a new H/d, I would still use this one , but make sure i had all info i wanted saved.. even when you think a hard drive is on the fritz - they can surprise you and last another
month , 6 months , year .

Collapse -
the answers...
by sen / August 5, 2006 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

I ran CHKDSK because the laptop was running slower than usual, and Explorer tended to disppear on its own and recover in a few seconds' time - no error messages. Still have that problem, but not so frequently, and after the CHKDSK ran, it's definitely functioning faster.

No noises from the HD - running quiet as ever.

I'm getting me a 40GB USB HDD to save my data, then take the laptop in for the IBM (Lenovo now) service centre to have a look. If they do reformat or change the HD, I won't start crying Happy

I have one 40GB HD partitioned into 5GB (C: drive, where the OS is) and 35GB (D:\, where my data is). I think I'll go with your advice, reformat and run this HD for some more time - the suggestion that I save the money for the time being is more than welcome!!!

Collapse -
Make a quick "visit" to your hard drive manufacturer's site.
by Edward ODaniel / August 4, 2006 5:54 AM PDT

they will have various tools that you can run on your drive to assess its "health".

They may even have tools available to "low level format" your drive. This is not a true low level format but will effectively mark the drive so any bad segments will be made "unavailable" greatly reducing the risk of a write to a bad sector.

As mentioned, your FIRST consideration should be to back up any data (music, pictures, letters, etc) that you would be hard put to replace. Back this data up on a CD or USB drive as simply backing it up to another partition of the same drive would do no good at all should the drive crash.

Collapse -
No joy there...
by sen / August 5, 2006 1:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Use IBM Hard Drive Fitness Test
by Trance_Zac / August 5, 2006 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: No joy there...
Collapse -
Sure they do, right here...
by Edward ODaniel / August 5, 2006 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: No joy there...
Collapse -
Yes, thank you, but...
by sen / August 7, 2006 2:44 AM PDT

Thank you for the link. I downloaded that, and the instructions, but I'm not too confident about running on DOS as the instructions say, and I'm worried I'll end up making things worse than they already are - at least I'm booted up and working, and it's been a week since I just close the lid and leave the laptop on standby at night. Yet to get me the USB HDD that I'm looking to buy, once I do that I'll back up data and then go for it.

Collapse -
Reply to CHKDSK keeps repeating and restarting WinXP
by shellmon / August 10, 2006 11:41 PM PDT

turn off your screen saver. when it kick in chkdsk will start again from scratch.

Collapse -
that happened to me to BUT
by tinker99 / August 10, 2006 11:48 PM PDT

it ended up being my motherboard.......

I replaced my motherboard and upgraded my video (cause I could)

all is well with it now.......

Collapse -
Backup, but don't format or replace anything yet.
by Brianstech / August 11, 2006 12:22 AM PDT

I'm not very convinced it's your hard drive at all. Sure, that's a possibility, along with all your other hardware.

Always do what you can to backup your files no matter what, even when you aren't having problems.

But if you aren't very PC-technical, I would suggest having a trusted technician (local shop, perhaps a friend?) look at it before you spend a cent on replacing possibly good hardware. I don't like chasing problems around by throwing money at them.

If you want to see more for yourself, there are many good diagnostic programs out there. Test your CPU, RAM, HD, etc.

Collapse -
Safe Mode
by GBTrevor / August 11, 2006 2:48 AM PDT

Boot into Safe Mode and try running it from there, usually works.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.