Samsung forum

General discussion

Chipped LED Screen - UN40C5000Qf

by Wheate / January 23, 2011 12:31 PM PST

Hello, I bought a 40 inch LED 500 series Samsung TV about two weeks agao, last night I awoke to the sound of my set crashing to the ground. Turns out my cat somehow got behind the set and knocked it off the stand. Needless to say I was very angry, the cat lived...The end result though is a screw head sized chip in the screen which now shows as a white deletion on the top left hand corner of the screen. I wouldn't say it's bad enough to get a new TV but it is bad enough that I would pay a significant amount of money to repair it. Does anyone know if there is anything that can be done? Just to clarify, it's not a scratch but an actual indentation in the screen, thanks for any input.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Chipped LED Screen - UN40C5000Qf
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Chipped LED Screen - UN40C5000Qf
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2011 6:12 AM PST

Wheate,

Is the hole in the bezel surrounding the panel, or the panel itself?

The bezel could be replaced pretty easily, although you'd have to call the parts department for prices on that.

If it's an indentation in the actual LCD screen panel, I'd say you're absolutely lucky, which is why I had to clarify above. 99.9% of the time I hear of a hole, bend, puncture or chip in an LCD panel, it usually spreads and separates the rest of the panel almost immediately.

As far as changing the panel - It CAN be done - no problem there. Some say it's worth it, others put it towards a new TV. So it can be done - it's just not inexpensive to do so in the views of most people I've seen who post and comment on it.

You can call 800-SAMSUNG to have a technician look at it and advise on pricing so you can see if it will be worth it to you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Wheate / January 24, 2011 8:47 AM PST

Hey thanks for getting back to me. Yeah the chip is in the panel itself, so you're saying it's more usual for the chip to crack kind of like a windshield would? Is this something that may worsen over time? Well I never thought I could look at this situation as lucky, but maybe I am...I got the TV for $750, I probably wouldn't spend more than half that price to have it repaired. How much in your estimation would a technician visit run me? Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Chipped LED Screen - UN40C5000Qf -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2011 2:08 PM PST

Wheate,

Depending on what it fell on to cause that chip, it would break - okay, a windshield might be a good analogy. If you've ever pressed on an LCD calculator screen until the black liquid crystal filled the screen, that's how I'd describe it.

On a bigger TV panel, it might look something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di7q--cooOY (See 00:17 seconds)

I have no idea if it will worsen over time, but it looks like if it's working, your cat gave your TV one of it's 9 lives.

I wish I knew pricing on the panel, but I just don't keep up on that side of the business. Try calling the Samsung Parts Department at 800-627-4368. There's still installation, but it might give you an idea. My guess? More than half, I'd imagine. Any field techs care to jump in and offer an educated response? Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
hello
by valentinoslady / April 27, 2013 7:13 AM PDT

I just chipped my 50 inch yesterday.... You can replace the screen because it would cost 3x more then the tv itself. What I did Made it less visable. I took my black eyeliner and rubbed it on the chip. But you can also get petrolium jelly and rub it on the chip and it will make it less visible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.