Computer Help forum

General discussion

Checking your computer's temp.

by kegizsftzp / July 18, 2006 1:06 PM PDT

I'm looking for a program that monitors your hard drive, cpu, and other computer components temperatures and alerts you if it is getting too hot. Are there any good programs I can download for this problem. (freeware
programs by the way.)

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Checking your computer's temp.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Checking your computer's temp.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Motherboard Monitor...
by John.Wilkinson / July 18, 2006 1:29 PM PDT

My recommendation would be for Motherboard Monitor, which has high reviews overall despite its low rating on download.com. It will display your temps in the system try so they're just a glance away.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Motherboard Monitor
by kegizsftzp / July 18, 2006 5:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Monitor...

Motherboard Monitor didn't work but I did download PC Wizard and it showed that my cpu temp is at 101 degrees F and my Hard Drive temp at the same temp. Are these normal temps?

Collapse -
To Confirm Temps Try This Free Program
by colindarby / July 18, 2006 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Monitor

Temperature Monitoring FREE Program from Web Site

http://www.sofotex.com/SensorsView-download_L35415.html

The Free SensorsView Version [Free Ver. 1.2 Build 106] program monitors temperature of, CPU, motherboard, hard disks, voltages, and fan speeds. The program informs you about critical values of any parameters of your system (e.g. about overheating the processor or a stop of fans).

Collapse -
101F isn't very hot for a CPU
by ramarc / July 19, 2006 2:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
No worries...
by John.Wilkinson / July 19, 2006 3:12 AM PDT

The 'normal' range varies based on the processor in question, but in general 101F is low for a processor and normal for a hard drive.

John

Collapse -
Speedfan's a good choice
by Oracle_360 / July 20, 2006 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: No worries...

I second the recommendation of Speedfan. It gives you readout of your speeds and heat, and also has a handy diagnostic feature. It's a really small program, and it's worth keeping around.

Collapse -
some additional info
by aqw8326 / July 21, 2006 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard Monitor...

Can I please have a KISS explination.
I have a program that moniters the temps, but it wants me to put in peramiters, I don't know what they are, or where to find them. so the programs you recomendended, do they know this automaticaly, and is there such a program

Collapse -
Motherboard Monitor...
by John.Wilkinson / July 22, 2006 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: some additional info

Motherboard Monitor requires you to properly identify your motherboard in order to use the program. If you don't know the make/model of your motherboard you can use Everest (free) to find out...just look under Motherboard->Motherboard.

Everest itself, in fact, can tell you what the temps are, the speed of your fans, etc if you go Computer->Sensors, and requires NO input from you. However, unlike others, it doesn't display the information conveniently in the system tray...you have to launch Everest yourself to find out what the temps are.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. What program is it that you have? That would tell us what those parameters are.

Collapse -
Try this Freebie
by ghp / July 21, 2006 3:55 PM PDT

Hi,
I have found HDD Health to be an excellent program and its free.

It can be downloaded from www.panterasoft.com.

My computer generally runs at 33-35 degrees centigrade.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by silversun91 / December 4, 2009 11:40 AM PST

I have tried various temp programs and speed fan has been the best by far, I highly recommend it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.