Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Check disk log. Where is it ?

by christy / January 10, 2005 1:58 PM PST

Win xP Pro SP2 FAT32

I ran check disk (R option), and Even logs viewer (Application logs) indicated that a log file bootex.log has been created at the root of the volume, which would show....whether bad sectors were found....and whether they were repaired. Problem: I am not able to find bootex.log by going to the root of the volume, nor using 'Seach' (with show all files). Help appreciated. Thanks.

christy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Check disk log. Where is it ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Check disk log. Where is it ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Christy, try this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 10, 2005 5:35 PM PST

It may be that the file or folder where it is stored is hidden. Although if it is in the Root directory then it should be in C:\

Open up Search, (Start > Search > For Files and Folders), then in the search window click on Tools in the menu and then click Folder Options.

In the Folder Options dialogue, click the View tab, then look for the "Hidden files and folders", and select "Show hidden files and folders".

Click "Apply" then "OK", then in the search pane select All files and folders, and then type in the name bootex.log, then press Enter.

See if that works for you.

Mark

Collapse -
No such files.
by christy / January 10, 2005 6:17 PM PST
In reply to: Christy, try this

Thanks, Mark. I tried that. No such files found.

christy

Collapse -
Hmmm
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 10, 2005 6:29 PM PST
In reply to: No such files.

I just noticed that you had said you had searched with "show all files". Sorry.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can help you, but can you say why you had to run check disk /R in the the first place? What problem do you have?

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks.
by christy / January 10, 2005 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm

'Check disk' often runs when I boot up, as if after an improper shut down. So, I thought I would run a complete and thorough check of the HD, including for bad sectors. The report or log at Event Viewer or what is given when check disk finishes does not provide enough details, but 'more information' on-line indicates the bootex.log file....which I now realize may contain the same information as givin initially by Event Viewer. But there should be a proper log, e.g one which opens with Note Pad. The previous Scan Disk with Win 9x allowed a log to be created, appended or not, and gave details on bad sectors, whether they were found or not...( e.g. "no bytes in bad sectors"...)Perhaps there is a way to configure check Disk to do that ?

christy

Collapse -
They hide it good but
by roddy32 / January 10, 2005 8:37 PM PST

you should be able to find it here. In XP, open the Control Panel, double click on "Adminstrative Tools", double click on the "Event Viewer" icon, then click on "Application". In the "Source" column, look for the "Winlogon" item. Double click it and you should see the results of your Chkdsk.

Collapse -
Thanks. Yes-
by christy / January 10, 2005 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: They hide it good but

I have been there before - for the results of chkdsk; but where is bootex.log ? The results at Event Viewer may contain the information of the log file. Although I suspect the information is similar, there could be more detailed information in the actual bootex.log file. ( in asking, I take a log file, or *.log to mean a text file which opens in Note Pad, in the usual context. I may be wrong)

christy

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / January 10, 2005 9:09 PM PST

"CHKDSK."

? If you run CHKDSK online, the code that actually performs the verification resides in utility DLLs, for example Untfs.dll and Ufat.dll. The verification routines that CHKDSK invokes are the same routines that run when a volume is verified through the Windows Explorer or Disk Management graphical user interface.

? However, if CHKDSK is scheduled to run when the computer restarts, the binary module that contains the verification code is Autochk.exe, a native Windows program. Because Autochk.exe runs early in the computer's startup sequence, Autochk.exe does not have the benefit of virtual memory or of other Win32 services.

? Autochk.exe generates the same kind of text output that the Chkdsk.exe utility DLLs generate. Autochk.exe displays this text output during the startup process and also logs an event in the application event log. The logged event information includes as much of the text output as can fit into the event log's data buffer.

Note: When "Autochk" runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the "Application Event" log.

Collapse -
Ahh
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 10, 2005 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

so I take that to mean that the bootex.log becomes non-existant, (if that's the right phrase), once the contents are moved to the Application Event log?

That would explain why Christy cannot find it and all the information will be held in the Event Log.

Mark

Collapse -
That clear things up a bit.
by christy / January 10, 2005 10:11 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

Thanks, Bill. But

? If you run CHKDSK online, the code ...
How do I do that ?

? However, if CHKDSK is scheduled to run when the computer restarts
I have never been able to run CHKDSK other than on schedule, even in Safe Mode. I always get the notice that CHKDSK will be scheduled to run at next boot. Am I missing something ?

christy

Collapse -
1001 Nights (EventID): *Open Sesame*
by Cetin Denislam / January 10, 2005 11:49 PM PST

The following phrase it's an excerpt from the MSKB article:

Q218461 -"Description of Enhanced Chkdsk, Autochk, and Chkntfs Tools in Windows 2000"

When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is recorded as follows:

Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon
Description: This includes file system type; drive letter or GUID, and volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran against.
Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or because the dirty bit was set.

So, launch Event Viewer, select Application log. In the right pane, find the event with the source Winlogon and EventID 1001 and double click it. After that, copy and paste it in your reply for further clues.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.