Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

check disk at most every boot

by sheilakmcd / April 15, 2010 8:32 PM PDT

Compaq Evo N1000C, XP Pro SP3

Check disk is running at almost every boot. Same report in event viewer each time. Hardware problem? Time to replace the hard drive?

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 3 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 3 unused security descriptors.

58605088 KB total disk space.
25286460 KB in 59160 files.
24804 KB in 6392 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
160220 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
33133604 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
14651272 total allocation units on disk.
8283401 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
20 5b 01 00 1b 00 01 00 3c 4e 01 00 00 00 00 00 [......<N......
7c 15 00 00 02 00 00 00 af 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 |...............
40 d0 ef 02 00 00 00 00 20 05 db 36 00 00 00 00 @....... ..6....
70 5e b6 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 p^..............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 49 48 47 00 00 00 00 ........ IHG....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 90 38 07 00 18 e7 00 00 ..6......8......
00 00 00 00 00 f0 5c 07 06 00 00 00 f8 18 00 00 ......\.........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: check disk at most every boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: check disk at most every boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It shouldn't occur ...
by Kees Bakker / April 15, 2010 8:59 PM PDT

after a regular shutdown. Turning off the power too early might cause chkdsk to run. But I suppose you do.

Interestingly, something different might be at play.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374 tells about a comparable message if there are too many files on the disk and you don't run the latest service pack.

Just out of curiosity: in My Computer or Windows Explorer right click on each main folder (generally not more than 10 to 15), choose properties and note how many files it has. Then calculate the total number of files on the disk (simply the sum). How much is it?

In the above I assumed that this was on the c:-drive, and that that's the only partition on the only hard disk. But that might not be the case. How many physical hard drives, and how many partitions on them? The last post in http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/124809-chkdsk-always-runs-boot.html for example, has a rather strange solution if it's another partition than the c:-drive.

Maybe it's a good idea to google XP ALWAYS CHKDSK and see if there are more useful hits.

Somehow, I don't think it's a hardware issue. But I don't know either what it is in stead. IF it is a hardware issue, it's risky to turn the automatic checkdisk of.

Kees

Collapse -
check disk
by sheilakmcd / April 15, 2010 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: It shouldn't occur ...

Yes, proper shutdown. Yes, one hard drive, C, 60GB (55.89) with one partition NTFS. Yes, XP Pro with SP3. 59728 files in 6372 folders. This included system folders as I do not keep them hidden.

Collapse -
Any chance USB flash drives are left plugged in?
by Steven Haninger / April 15, 2010 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: check disk

This causes chkdsk to run at startup.

Collapse -
Re: USB sticks
by Kees Bakker / April 16, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

From the statistics shown by chkdsk it's a 60 GB drive. That's not the USB-drive that's scanned.

Personally I have a permanent USB-drive plugged in, and that does NOT cause a chkdsk. Still, I don't think anything is wrong with me.

Kees

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

Get another 60GB or so drive, clone it and try again. 60GB drives are from my findings past their expected life span so odd things like this seem to be popping up.

Is this another one of your machines at work?
Bob

Collapse -
check disc
by sheilakmcd / April 16, 2010 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

No it's a home notebook with minimal extra software, mostly used for web surfing. I thought about cloning this one to see if the problem followed, but all I have right now is an old 20GB one.

I don't have anything important on it. I can't decide whether to keep running it and wait til it dies to try replacing the drive, or replace it now. It sure would be less time consuming to clone this one than to totally reinstall and update. But, it would sure be irritating to buy a new drive and clone this one over, only to discover I still had the problem. Oh well, thanks for the input.

Collapse -
Look at testing it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: check disc

Look up the UBCD and on there are some hard drive test programs that should be non-destructive. Be sure to note any SMART status reports.

And if this is IDE, consider shiny new IDE 80 conductor cables.

Sorry but the issue is pretty beat up (discussed to no end) but old drives are something of a constant when I see this happen. Also sometimes I find a linux dual boot.
Bob

Collapse -
Linux option indeed
by richteral / April 17, 2010 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Look at testing it.

If it is worth the bother, how about installing Ubuntu on the disk and run one of the disk checking facilities to see what really is cooking? Just an idea. Otherwise, it looks like a long-in-the-tooth Compaq not only past its prime time, but also possibly lifespan. Hardly worth replacing the disk in such case.

Collapse -
(NT) I think you should ask sheilakmcd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2010 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Linux option indeed
Collapse -
UBCD
by sheilakmcd / April 20, 2010 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Look at testing it.

I did make that UBCD (been meaning to do that forever anyway). It is running the fujitsu drive test right now. If it comes out okay, I'll have to ask for more suggestions. Thanks

Collapse -
Serial Checkdisking
by patrick h palmer / April 16, 2010 5:05 PM PDT

I have had this problem myself and there is a solution, but it's not elementary. It has nothing to do with any of the suggestions that have been made so far - it does not imply that your hard disc is too full, or in a terminal condition. I shall have to look for it and get back to you: please give me a day or two (I hope I can find it again!).

Collapse -
Serial Checkdisking
by patrick h palmer / April 18, 2010 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Serial Checkdisking

OK Sheila. Please go to:

<http://forums.cnet.com/5208-10149_102-0.html?threadID=113089>

Here you will see a familiar name: Lee Koo! The answer that worked for me is the very first (Post 1 of 70), submitted by 'Darren S'. It begins "Hello, what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as 'setting the dirty bit' and what you have to do is unset that bit".

The only difficulty you may have in typing Darren's commands is in inserting the correct blank spaces between some of the adjacent characters. Interpretation of this can be tricky and requires care.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Thanks, worked so far
by sheilakmcd / April 19, 2010 10:28 PM PDT

I ran the fsutil dirty query on C:. It did report C was dirty. I rebooted and ran a disk check. After this, the query reports C is not dirty. So far, I have had no more problems with checkdisk running at boot up.

Collapse -
Serial Checkdisking
by patrick h palmer / April 20, 2010 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, worked so far

That's great! I'm pleased that you don't have to replace your Hard Drive, or buy a new computer.

Collapse -
Spoke to soon
by sheilakmcd / April 20, 2010 8:08 PM PDT

It did it again this am at boot up. Guess I'll start hard drive shopping. I was afraid of that, but wanted to post that it had seemed to work before I forgot. I hate threads that are left hanging.

Collapse -
Serial Checkdisking
by patrick h palmer / April 21, 2010 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Spoke to soon

Oh dear . . . I'm so sorry. You evidently have an unknown glitch which triggers the "dirty bit". Could it be a driver problem? Have a look also at the 69 other posts that follow Darren's contribution, and see if you can find a further fix.

Perhaps I was lucky to have had my serial checkdisking solved once-and-for-all by Darren. My hard drive was by no means full and also fairly new. There are 2 programs that I know of that you can run to evaluate the state of your HDD. I'll give you details in a further post.

Collapse -
Serial Checkdisking
by patrick h palmer / April 22, 2010 5:27 PM PDT

Here are two further suggestions, which may help you solve your problem:

1) Go to <http://www.computerhope.com/help/hdd.htm> and scroll down to
'CH001091: Testing a computer hard disk drive for failures'. Open this and, under the sub-heading Software Solutions, you'll find several free HDD test utilities listed.

2) COMODO, who supply the excellent free Firewall product, are starting a new service called 'Live PC Support' and are offering a free introductory 30-day trial. You may like to try this offer, which you'll find at <http://www.livepcsupport.com/trial/

Collapse -
Other than drive causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2010 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Spoke to soon

If we didn't cover it.

1. Loss of power (user flips power off, power company, or over taxed power supply, old power supply.)

2. Cables. Those IDE or SATA cables if they are less than great, not fully plugged in, etc.

Good hunting,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.