TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Cheaper IR Camera's not work through windows?

by endoftheline2 / January 8, 2009 11:18 AM PST

I just bought this cheapish IR IP camera: http://www.bargaincell.com/product_28107_3754.html

Its the cheapest IP IR camera with the most features, (11 leds, pan and tilt) I could find for the price, and it works fine except for a big problem related to my use of it. The IR led's seem to reflect off the glass of a windows that I need to have it see through. Theres a option in the interface to turn off the LED's and I have selected it, but it doesnt seem to do anything, they still reflect badly in the image, and even though the web interface shows them off, they are clearly still on ( you can see clearly see some red in the led's when the camera is on)

What I'm wondering is will all LED IR cameras that are similar to this (as in the cheapish price range like 100-200) reflect off glass that is in front of them, and essentialy make the IR useless for looking through a window?

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5822/ipcamirlightsdb7.jpg

This is how the image looks with the IR led's that cannot be turned off, when It is aiming out a window. however it is fine inside or not aiming through a window.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cheaper IR Camera's not work through windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cheaper IR Camera's not work through windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
glass reflects IR
by cctv support / January 20, 2009 2:47 AM PST

it is a very common problem not highlighted by the vendors!

see: http://www.ealingroad.com/faq_nightvision.html

"if you are mounting a [IR] camera to see through a window, during the day you get a nice sharp picture, but as soon as it gets dark and the IR lights come on, all you see is a bright white glow, as the lights are reflected off the glass!"

Collapse -
IR Illuminators bouncing off of window glass.
by Eyespyvideo_dot_com / June 1, 2011 1:31 AM PDT

The simple answer is that light reflects off of glass!
The glass used in the front face of most cameras with integrated IR Illuminators is "IR Corrected" to prevent the light from bouncing back into the imager. IR Corrected glass on the camera will not prevent the light from bouncing off your window back in to the imager.
We are one of the vendors who do highlight that problem on our product pages and in our glossary and FAQ's. It is not advisable to mount an IR camera to look through a window! If you want Infra Red and a camera looking through a window you must mount illuminators outside the window.

Collapse -
Same issue
by Schleggo / January 13, 2012 11:18 PM PST

I bought a similar camera....was thinking of maybe a anti-glare film....or just mount it outside and hope for the best!
Yes its a indoor camera, but for $80 wireless and e-mails pic's....I think I'm gonna try it.

Collapse -
Foscam
by Fonejacka / February 26, 2013 9:23 AM PST

This is my exact problem! Would I be right in saying its a foscam haha? - did you find a way of preventing this in the end ?

Collapse -
Your problem
by panorama250 / March 9, 2013 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Foscam

I use Foscam cameras and I mount them in the window. This is a problem with all cameras and thats why they have a line of outdoor cameras. Your probably like me and want the cameras to do both. If you open the lens up you can see ok. If you are running these cameras for security reasons and that is a concern you probably need some additional outdoor lighting anyway. Foscam has an outddoor camera that is ethernet powered. Thats the recomendation Foscam gave me.

Collapse -
Infra-red light and glass
by mjd420nova / February 26, 2013 10:26 PM PST

Glass does not pass infra-red photons through it, so IR devices cannot see through glass. IR is the indication of an objects temperature and emits IR photons in proportion. Dual (IR and optical) cameras will see through the window during the day but not at night. Even an IR flood can't help push the photons through the glass. Scientific IR scanners use lenses made from pure silicone germainium. Opaque to regular light but acts as a standard optical element to IR photons.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.