Tablets

Question

Cheap Tablet for Kids

by iasnellman / November 15, 2011 11:46 PM PST

I am looking at buying a tablet for my 8 year old and 4 yr old to play games and possibly watch a movie on. I would like to keep them under $100. What are the best ones for the money?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cheap Tablet for Kids
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cheap Tablet for Kids
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Here is one.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: Cheap Tablet for Kids
Collapse -
Answer
Today, at woot.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 1:46 AM PST

And geeks.com you see sub 99 buck 7 inch tablets. Be sure to ask if the games run on such things. I'd think about the Kindle Fire if it must be for games and movies without a need to futz with it.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Cheap. You get what you pay for
by ewern / December 5, 2011 2:16 AM PST

Remember that axiom!. I've seen plenty of "cheap" tablets advertised in drugstore circulars and if you look at reviews by people who bought them, they'd be dead upon getting, or within 6 months. Save your pennies and get a name brand product with trusted support. Apple iPod Touch or Amazon Fire for $200 are best choices now.

Collapse -
Answer
Cheap Tablet for Kids
by baybreeze / December 10, 2011 3:15 AM PST

I would also recommend the Amazon Kindle Fire at $199.99. I have several tablets myself and also purchased the Kindle Fire. I bought the Fire for my 4 year old niece to use.

There are many cheaper tablets available, however, I think a lot of them have more resistive type screens, which means one has to really press harder on the screen, which makes things more difficult for kids. They also tend to have much slower processors, are slow to respond, and many don't have access to the entire Android App store. Kindle Fire doesn't have the Android App store either, but Amazon has their own App store with tons of apps and many apps for kids. There is also a way to install the Android App store on the Fire.

In the past I had a NextBook, and there wasn't a good app selection. I also have the HP TouchPad which I got when they had their fire sale. First I thought it would have been great for my niece, but their selection of Apps is quite low. There aren't many kids apps and I have found what there is, either doesn't work at all, or they are junk. I think the iPad probably has the most available apps for kids and I've seen many great kids apps that arent' available for Android, but Android certainly is catching up, but the iPad is quite expensive.

I have already found at least 10 games, some of them educational for my niece that she absolutely loves on the Kindle Fire. It's a 7" tablet, so it's easier for her to hold than a 10" tablet. One thing I've been reading about lately, though, is that since Amazon has it's store attached, it's VERY VERY easy to make purchases on it. As of right now, I don't think there's a way to block it. So a child could easily buy apps and other things with just one click. I'm not worried about this with my niece just yet, but I will be checking to see if I can turn off their 1-click purchasing. Other than this, I think the Fire is a great option. I think the Barnes & Nobles Nook tablet is another great option. I don't have one, and I'm not sure how large their app selection is. Both the Kindle Fire and Nook have tons of children's books availble, many of which a child can interact with, which is pretty neat for them. I think Acer might make a 7" tablet for around $200 as well, and that would have the entire Android App store available on it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.