Samsung forum

Alert

Cheap Galaxy SIII (S3) Cracked Screen

by vaximily / August 6, 2012 5:30 AM PDT

Along with my multi-thousand dollar 50" DLP TV, which had a defective chip that they came out and replaced 2 years outside of warranty for free because it was a quality issue, my Web-Connected BluRay Player and dozens of DVD & BluRay Burners, and many other Samsung products, I have owned Samsung phones of various models (Brick / Clam, Moment, Epic 4G, Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy SIII, etc) over the years, never with an issue. UNTIL NOW.

Most recently, I had the original Galaxy S (Epic 4G on Sprint). Like most normal people, this phone was regularly dropped, carried in my pocket for nearly 2 years with normal wear and tear. Beyond a small chip on the edge of the plastic, it never had an issue. I work an office job, I'm not some construction worker that ran it over with a truck or something.

Because of all the good experience, I decided to fork over another $200 and be locked into a 2 year contract to get the new Galaxy S3 a few weeks ago - it is an amazing phone - however, last week i dropped it FROM LESS THAN 2 FEET and to my horror, the screen is completely shattered. To top it off, just from being set down on tabletop surfaces (like my desk at work), the entire case is scratched, dented, and chipped - even the camera lens is so cheap that it's scratched to the point that the camera can't focus to take a decent picture - everything comes out blurry.

Obviously, without paying the $150 deductible to Sprint to get the phone replaced with another remanufactured version of this same cheap plastic phone, Samsung has left me out to dry. Multiple drawn out phone calls where the rep says they will "transfer me to a supervisor" and actually hangs up on me.

Apparently this is a common problem, I've found HUNDREDS of nearly identical stories to mine online, so I can't imagine this won't become a class action lawsuit unless Samsung works to make this right. Even if it means trading down to a higher-quality build (perhaps the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have these problems?).

I can say that for me, if Samsung doesn't fix this, I'll never again buy one of their products.

None of the executive customer care numbers seem to work anymore. Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Cheap Galaxy SIII (S3) Cracked Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Cheap Galaxy SIII (S3) Cracked Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: phone
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 5:40 AM PDT

I can't comment on the scratches, dents and cheap lens. Sorry.

But it seems unlikely to me that you can expect the phone to be designed and guaranteed to survive every 2 feet (60 cm) fall on every surface.

Kees

Collapse -
You are half right...
by vaximily / August 6, 2012 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: phone

However, the original Galaxy had Gorilla glass, which despite many MUCH higher falls on much worse surfaces (including concrete and asphalt), NEVER had an issue. The S3 is touted to have "Gorilla Glass 2" which is even more durable, yet completely shattered from a very short distance fall on a relatively flat surface (tile floor).

It just doesn't add up.

Collapse -
All it takes is just the right impact point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: You are half right...

Do you remember the physicists that loved to calculate the pressure created at the tips of high heeled shoes? Same problem. If the device impacts at just the right angle and spot, game over.

Many folk opt for that other insurance against drops and more.

But that's not why I responded. It's because this is not the only model you see that is killed by a bad fall. The design is not made to withstand every drop from every possible angle so you see folk add an otterbox or another layer of protection. I know I did.
Bob

Collapse -
I've seen that complaint.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

And it's not limited to just this model. It appears that Otterbox is going to do well for years now.
Bob

Collapse -
If having a bulky, heavy case is a requirement...
by vaximily / August 6, 2012 6:08 AM PDT

...to not render a brand new phone completely unusable in the first month from fairly light usage, they should be included with the sale phone. Quality is supposed to improve with time and technological advancements, not get worse. I've NEVER had a case on a phone and I've never had one break like this.

Collapse -
It will happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 6:12 AM PDT

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Collapse -
u r right:(
by Hkamal26 / August 8, 2012 5:32 PM PDT

Samsung S3 screen can be destroyed completely if the mobile dropped from distance less than 25 CM! Actually this what happened with me Sad
My new mobile slide from my bag 2nd day i got it & reached the floor -distance less than 25 CM- with no hard items on the floor & the screen completely destroyed!
The big surprise mobile was already protected by Screen protector & Cover!! What else i can do?
Also the authorized agents for repairing the mobile said its misuse and it can''''t be included in the 14 days warranty which I have right now and I have to pay about 1/3 of the Mobile price for a new screen!
Really very bad, I don't recommend to anyone to buy this mobile.

NB: this happened also with 3 of my Friends but the screen was started many destroyed but was scratched many scratch and all these accidents happened in their 1st week after purchaseL

Collapse -
POS
by rigginsp / August 14, 2012 4:32 AM PDT

I just got the Nexus S3 right when it came out.. i have taken care of it like no other making sure not to drop it or scratch it and just mainly maintaining it the best to my abilities. Last night i was walking to a friends and I pulled it out of my pocket and the whole screen was spidered... Cheap Cheap screens they better be doing something to fix this!

Collapse -
Cheap Galaxy SIII (c) cracked screen
by shuiguoyang / August 15, 2012 7:51 PM PDT

S3 last week from my pockets are not careful the friends pull out of tune, the whole screen is toppled, it should solve this problem if the Samsung does not solve this problem, I will never buy

Collapse -
Re: cracked screen
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 15, 2012 7:54 PM PDT

Does the warranty include uncareful handling? Or is that only included in some form of insurance you didn't buy?

Kees

Collapse -
Cracked Screen
by Doljen / January 15, 2013 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: cracked screen

Kees,

Who do you work for Samsung or Corning? I am just wondering because you seem to think everyone with a broken screen is a fool, and the two companies could not possibly have done any wrong.

Collapse -
I think folk need to take out more insurance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: Cracked Screen

Windshields and other glass things continue to crack so in your opinion, was glass the wrong design choice?
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) same issue
by yeahyeah1973 / September 20, 2012 12:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Me too....
by AceRoyster / September 22, 2012 11:18 AM PDT

I just bought a Samsung S3 phone last week. It was in my purse, which fell off the table....cracked the screen. My phone was only 8 days old!!! $200 original cost + 2 year verizon contract, and now I need to shell out another $150 deductible to get the S3 phone replaced. I am steamed! I had an iPhone for 3 years prior, and dropped it plenty of times without shattering the screen. I almost feel as though I need to wrap the phone in cotton batting.

Collapse -
Me Too! Galaxy III with Gorilla Glass 2 Does not work
by CJDif / October 6, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

Yes - New purchase from VerisonW.
My Galaxy III is now only 31 days old. And it Too shattered the screen.

There are many complaints about this new design - is it the gorilla glass 2 or the Galaxy III? I don't know but it is a BIG problem. I, like many out there, are out of $200+ and need to go back to using the old phone ( in this case my Driod X - zero scratches and perfect glass after a rough year)

My story: I was using the Galaxy III as a GPS, driving. placed phone on center consul. Phone slipped off onto floor mat. Picked it up and the whole front screen was shattered. That is shattered with: only a foot and a half fall. : onto a rubber matt : no hard objects: with a verizon bought screen protector AND brand new hard case !!! Verizon can do nothing for me. I have no new phone phone anymore and the Ins was declined because it would cost $7/mo + $100 to repair the screen ... if I went that route, luckily I didn't ( i would have been pissed to hear about the $100 deductible). No easy answer here other than go back to the old phone and stick with DROID.

And yes, Samsung and Verizon CS were no help. There is no Customer Service anymore only menu prompts, frustration and hangups.

Collapse -
Insurance
by jay2k12 / December 4, 2012 11:19 AM PST

well I broke my screen within 2 weeks and ins is 150 deductible without is 300 repair the phone only cost me 99 bucks! Class action here we come!

Collapse -
Broken camera lens cover on Samsung Galaxy S3
by johnnyelevator / October 6, 2012 8:28 AM PDT

My problem was with the camera. My observation is that the camera lens cover juts out the furthest of everything on the back and is therefore the most susceptible to damage. I too searched the web and found this to be a common theme.

Further, the Chinese suppliers are gearing up by marketing the middle plate for sale in bulk. As for now, I cleaned out the broken glass and the camera is focusing again, although the lens is now exposed.

Collapse -
ME TOO!!!!
by rixdezine / October 13, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

I just purchased the SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII and with in 14 hours i dropped my phone in the grass and from the point of impact the entire screen shattered. It was less than 2ft from the ground. I just upgraded from the HTC Sensation that has no dent or scratches, and am now stuck with a $130.00 deductible. I could really use some help to get this resolved without forking out another $130.00 within 24 hours.

Collapse -
this is deffinetly not good-----
by pzylo_azurences / December 6, 2012 4:41 AM PST

mine just dropped and screen is not working properly , color is fainting and

it was not even high... i went to warranty and they told me i had to send it to

repair with manufacturer even tough i had just like 2 months with the phone. 1 yr contract.

lol . should i had knew all of this i could have buyed a different phone...

do any of you recommend a great android phone?

Collapse -
Yes.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 4:45 AM PST

It's definitely wrong to drop a phone. They aren't design to be resistant to that. You'll find the same with your next phone (but I don't advise you to try it!).

Kees

Collapse -
Next time, take the drop and spill warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 4:46 AM PST

Samsung phones around here are "coveted." Very nice units but not one maker I know in this category is drop proof.
Bob

Collapse -
My s3 broke too..
by RahulChawla01 / December 6, 2012 7:52 PM PST

I dropped my s3 in my car boot as all know car boot has a soft carpet. The screen broke down and stopped working. Very very very cheap material use day Samsung such a shame.... It's gonna cost me abt 350 aus $ to get t fixed

Collapse -
Re: broke
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 6, 2012 8:03 PM PST
In reply to: My s3 broke too..

Did you measure the g-force the phone experienced when it came to a stop?
And - even more important - are you going to research the design specifications of your future phones to see what the maximum g-force is they are designed to endure during such an unhappy event?

Kees

Collapse -
re: similar issue
by Annelouisex / December 8, 2013 8:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re: broke

I have no idea what caused my samsung galaxy s3 4g to be cracked around the main menu (middle) butti . It looks as though too much pressure has hit the button, which of course is ridiculous as how foes ones finger pushing a button cause this damage? I am one of those people that take great care when maintaining the durability of all my device's. I have never dropped my mobile!
Im am totally stressing because I can't work out what caused this!?
It might sound stupid but all I can think of was it was a hot day!..I came home placed my mobile on my bed (like always) nothing was wrong with it did a gew things came bqck to place it on yhe charger and noticed a smashed blob surrounding the main menu button!

Collapse -
Very Similar Issue
by laurenaw6786 / December 28, 2012 12:28 AM PST

I got the Samsung GS3 in early October, after having been an iPhone user for nearly 3 years. When I first got it, it took me a week or two to decide whether or not I was going to be able to adjust to the Droid operating system from the Apple system, so I didn't invest in any sort of case or other protection. I dropped it on the second day, and got a tiny chip at the bottom, which was my fault and no big deal. However, almost 2 months later (I obviously decided to keep it...), I was sitting at dinner, with a case on my phone, and my phone sitting on the table. I used it to text, set it back down, and when I picked it up again like half an hour later, there was a horizontal crack all the way across the screen, halfway between the power button on the side, and the home button at the bottom. I have also had issues with overheating and short battery life. When I called AT&T, they told me they could do nothing because the crack voided the warranty, and advised me to just sell it and buy a new one. Helpful. I then contacted Samsung, because I did NOT cause that crack. After sending it in, they told me that it would be about $180 to replace the screen. I told them I was not going to pay for something that I did not cause. It is not my fault that the phone is defective. They tried to tell me that the phone was not defective, and kept passing me up the line. I had spoken to 5 different people before I finally gave up and said just send my phone back the way it is. This is ridiculous. Worst customer service I have EVER experienced, especially with Samsung (all of my televisions and computers have been Samsung for as long as I can remember, as well as a few cell phone prior to the iPhone). I will definitely not be a returning Samsung customer if this issue doesn't get resolved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.