Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Charter internet issues

by gwp59 / January 18, 2011 7:20 AM PST

I have Charter Cable internet & TV. My PC operates on Windows 7. Until 5-6 weeks ago, we had experienced few problems over the last 10 years. We are now experiencing regular internet disconnects (with no TV disruptions) & most of these problems occur between noon & 5:00 pm.

The following solutions have been attempted:
Replaced wireless router
Bypassed new router directly to modem/PC
Replaced modem
Replaced cable line from house to modem
Installed amplifier in attic
Replaced cable drop line (from house to utility pole)
Line techs have made "adjustments" at pole 3-4 times & at
amplifier on main line in alley

When I run Windows diagnostics, the message states "DSN server unavailable". I suspect a problem with the main line in the alley or with the server.
Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Charter internet issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Charter internet issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2011 7:39 AM PST

You didn't say what router and settings you used. Not only can wifi be interfered with but if it's WEP or less then the hijacker or other person can wreck such havoc.

If the wifi is removed from the setup, then you have only one more thing to check and to try another PC.

Collapse -
Just one thing
by gwp59 / January 18, 2011 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Just one thing.

We disconnected the router (bypassed it) & stiil experienced the same issues. The PC (Hewlett Packard) is new as of 7-8 months ago.

Collapse -
Still need some other PC or thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2011 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Just one thing

While it's clear to me that your cable company has something to fix, having just one PC can be a problem.

On your side is that time period. Usually when it's the PC, it happens at all times.

-> What I'm seeing is that as the cable co adds more folk on your street then interference is possible. There is usually nothing to be done but to keep them busy by reporting it EVERY TIME so they get the message it's broken.

I've seen this take a month of calls to get fixed. Some folk have to give up and move to fiber or other choices.

Collapse -
Just one thing
by gwp59 / January 18, 2011 8:07 AM PST

Thanks--they certainly know me by name after 4 weeks of daily reports. Since we live in an historic neighborhood, fiber op is not an option yet. Our only alternative is DSL, which has been reported by neighbors as much slower & also inconsistent.

Collapse -
Charter issues
by LoveChickens / February 13, 2011 3:53 AM PST

Sounds like you are living my other life with Charter. They revealed to me it is "peak effect" (some new person told me on the phone & then supervisor came on, not pleased) which I believe just means too many subscribers for their equipment. I work on line & could lose my job due to this. I have replaced EVERYTHING at painful cost to me. I still have issues. There is no other provider for my area. Is this LEGAL? Can they sell more subscriptions than they can provide for? I heard once that cable providers cannot do that. I use a Motorola surfboard modem and added additional router for my network. I still have weak signals. I PAY for their fastest speed. I would settle for ANY speed that is consistent. Help me too! Use Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac. ALL computers are disconnected, in and out, in and out.

Collapse -
Service level agreements.
by bill012 / February 13, 2011 9:11 PM PST
In reply to: Charter issues

Read the contract. They in no way promise anything but best effort. All that means is that they will TRY to provide you the rates they advertise but if too many people compete then too bad.

Why do you think companies like the one I work for pay $300/month for 1.5m of bandwidth. For this your bandwidth to their core is dedicated and they promise to restore service within 4hrs 24x7x365. If they exceed this you start getting money back. Even this circuit does not promise anything if you leave the provider network so if you are on ATT and the website is on verizon you could still have issues.

Not sure about charter but some providers will provide a better class of service if you pay for business grade. They will give business users priority over normal users but some just charge more for the same service as home users so you have to read carefully.

Note if your problem all "weak signal" then use ethernet cable. The wireless is not the ISP fault that is YOUR network.

Collapse -
Charter issues
by LoveChickens / February 14, 2011 7:14 AM PST

Hi - thanks for your reply. I do pay close to 200.00 a month already. In my state I believe there are laws about selling more subscriptions than are supported. I did have a business account (my business is in my home and no internet, no working). For some reason, they "switched it back" to a home account. I believe they did it on purpose because they cannot support my needs. There are a few others in my neighborhood who work online but not enough to make them improve our equipment/lines. Lately, I notice if I get on the laptop (rarely) that there are bunches of new networks to choose from. I did buy an extra router to enable my signal within my own home as I knew that was my responsibility. The problem is the quality of signal that comes into my house from them! DSL cannot be had here as we believe someone may have made a deal with the new developer and those on the waiting list for over five years were dissed on and the new development got all available DSL that was installed. Don't you all just LOVE backroom deals? I am at the end of my rope here. I OWN this house and the only way it seems I can get improved service is to move. Who has $$$ to buy houses these days? Exactly! How reliable is satellite service? Can I hook on with an AT&T air card that I use for emergencies on my laptop? My clients are NOT pleased with me. It must be nice to live somewhere you have choice! For me, it could even be across the street! Somebody opens a business that can provide reliable service and I will sign up.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.