Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Charter Cable & best modem/router to buy

by brdtim / January 7, 2011 1:09 AM PST

I recently changed to Charter from ATT DSL. The modem that they provided (rental) is Motorola Surfboard SB5101N. Is this modem the best option if I decide to buy rather than rent? Also what router should I need to optimize the service? No gaming or other uses, just internet connection for laptop, iPad & iPhone.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Charter Cable & best modem/router to buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Charter Cable & best modem/router to buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some facts . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 7, 2011 10:59 PM PST

1. Cable is going (eventually) to a new protocol called DOCSIS 3.0 (much faster speed).

2. The Internet is changing to IPv6. Get a modem that supports both.

I just purchased a Cisco DCP3000 that supports the new DOCSIS and IPv6, and is Gigabit output. For a router I have the D-link DIR-655 Gigabit wired/wireless N.

These two together will serve you well into the future. And I hate to brag, but here is a screenshot of my Roadrunner cable speed after I installed the modem.

http://www.wayne2.net/speed.jpg

Collapse -
(NT) Correction, DPC3000.
by Coryphaeus / January 7, 2011 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Some facts . . .
Collapse -
WOW,
by ahtoi / January 8, 2011 1:07 AM PST

are you all by yourself on the line, hehe? I am going to complain to my ISP. You think it's the HARDWARES that doing it?

Collapse -
That was burst speed . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 8, 2011 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: WOW,

Actual steady speed is around 40 Meg. I get that every day. I do attribute it to the new modem.

Since I taught dial-up back in the 80s, back then I would never have imagined this speed. Back then a T-1 at 1.544 Mb/s was blistering speed.

Collapse -
Cisco DPC3000
by cptjack123 / January 12, 2011 11:36 PM PST

Where did you buy the Cisco DPC3000 and how much?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.