iPhones, iPods, & iPads

General discussion

charger for multiple iPod Touch

by catrlona / July 24, 2009 8:52 AM PDT

IT technician/Instructional designer has need to charge/format 5 - 30 iPod Touch systems at one time. Does anyone know of such a device.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: charger for multiple iPod Touch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: charger for multiple iPod Touch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other than
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 9:00 AM PDT

the bases they came with, a number of USB hubs and a computer, which would charge them all at once but would not format them all at the same time.

How often would you be formatting them?

I assume you do not mean changing the content of the iPods.

P

Collapse -
re: Charging multiple iPod touchs
by catrlona / July 29, 2009 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Other than

Usng a hub(s) is an interesting idea. I had heard that charging them through anything except directly connected to a PC/MAC would not work - is that not true?

Would only be reformatting when a student failed and turned the device back in.

Collapse -
Recharging iPods/iPhones
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 12:34 AM PDT

As long as the USB bus has enough power on it, and it will have if all the USB hubs are powered by external power adapter, then you can charge these devices without a problem.
They do not need to be directly connected to a computer, just to a USB bus with sufficient power.

On the subject of reformatting:
Turning off Automatic syncing on connection would ensure that the iPods would only charge when you connect them and not sync.
Instead of reformatting them, consider having a "playlist" for them, assuming that all will have the same information on them) and when a device is turned back in you simply run the Sync operation which would be pointed at this playlist. The sync process would remove everything that is on the iPod that is NOT in the playlist.
(Sometimes the source of much frustration when the device is given as a present AND it has been preloaded with music by the giver on the givers computer. At first connection to another computer, the auto sync function will sync with new iTunes library and remove all the preloaded tracks! Sad)

Hope that helps

P

Collapse -
iPod Toch
by catrlona / July 30, 2009 3:44 AM PDT

Well aware of the sync issues - as a tech I had way too many frustrating times explaning to students (after they had been told how to prevent this issue) that their data could not be retrieved after it had synced to a secondary computer. Sigh!!!

However, I really like the idea of a "playlist" very cool idea and so very, very simple. THANKS!
Catrlonla

Collapse -
Glad to help
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: iPod Toch

Let us know how you get on with your project

P

Collapse -
Multiple USB port charger by Belkin?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 6:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
USB Hubs
by bluesky_on / August 3, 2009 6:27 PM PDT

A Multi-port usb hubs would work with the situation you said.

Collapse -
re: charger for multiple iPods
by catrlona / August 4, 2009 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: USB Hubs

The use of a hub is an idea, it's just that in the environment I will be in a hub is not allowed.

Collapse -
Is this a new wrinkle?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 4, 2009 9:56 PM PDT

You did not mention that limitation before

P

Collapse -
re: charger for multiple iPods
by catrlona / August 6, 2009 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this a new wrinkle?

Not a new wrinkle, just one I was hoping I could bypass, but it does not look like it!

Collapse -
patience..
by jjprofits5 / August 6, 2009 11:12 AM PDT

That's difficult. But maybe i think soon someone can invent that kind of device. Soon..

Collapse -
It already has been
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: patience..

Read all the thread

P

Collapse -
Parasync?
by LucJs / August 12, 2009 5:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Now that's more like it, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 12, 2009 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Parasync?

without an external power supply, not mentioned, I doubt that any USB bus has the ooomph to charge 20 iPods at once.

Might suit the original poster though.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.