How To forum

changing vinyl records to CDs

by k_hettich / June 21, 2011 3:23 AM PDT

I don't know what I need to know to record my vinyl onto CDs. I'm totally a novice for this. I do have a computer which seems to have some audio software built in (running Windows XP) but of course I don't know anything about that, either. And I don't want to spend a fortune as once my vinyl has been recorded, I intend to get rid of it.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: changing vinyl records to CDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: changing vinyl records to CDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Turntable with USB
by xBrendanx / June 21, 2011 4:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vinyl to anything!
by BoSoxFan850 / June 21, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

The company I work for sells this kind of turntable. We have a very popular one from Audio Technica.

Collapse -
Cnet reviews
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2011 6:52 AM PDT

If you read prior answers you find that conversion is rife with issues. I mean some want to get rid of the usual pops and noises that are in the vinyl. Yes you can read about cleaning but audio cleaning software is widely noted as troublesome.

That's just a little over 100 for the usual solution.

Let's go all out next. There is an optical vinyl player that is worth knowing about at: (no shark version)
Collapse -
Convert LPs and audiocassettes to MP3s or CDs
by doreilly / June 22, 2011 3:15 PM PDT

I've been converting my LPs and audiocassettes to MP3s and digital CDs for several years. The process is a little bit techie but definitely not impossible: use an RCA-jack-to-PC-audio-input cable to connect your PC's audio-in jack and the audio-out of the amp your record player is hooked up to. Then download and install the free Audacity audio program. You have to make some changes to Audacity's default settings to get it to record songs from the LPs in digital format. The process is a little too complicated to explain here, but I might could provide step-by-step instructions in a CNET how-to (I write the Workers' Edge blog on the CNET Blog Network, too.) Do you think it would be worth writing up?

Collapse -
Write it
by k_hettich / June 23, 2011 10:52 AM PDT

Since you lost me at "RCA-jack-to PC-audio-input cable" I think it's safe to say that step-by-step instructions would be helpful. It's not that I can't learn, but it takes me way longer to do so than it used to. I'm past retirement age, you see.
Why the Audacity audio program? I have Windows Media Player, isn't that the same sort of software?
Thank you all for your comments and help!

Collapse -
I'll try to have the post ready to go by Monday
by doreilly / June 23, 2011 3:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Write it

Look for a link to the step-by-step in this thread early next week. Audacity is a very powerful audio-recording and -converting program that's free and that's been around for many years. It's not very easy to use, unfortunately, but for straight-ahead conversion of LPs and audiocassettes to MP3s (or Microsoft's WMA audio format) for putting on CDs it's not too confusing.

Collapse -
Laser turntable
by k_hettich / June 23, 2011 11:14 AM PDT

WOW. The optical vinyl player is definitely worth knowing about. It just makes such sense. Although when it gets to the general market, I'm sure there will be issues with it, too.
Even though there does seem to be a fairly good turntable out there, this whole process is going to take a lot more research, I'm afraid, as far as the software is concerned.
Thank you for your input.

Collapse -
USB turntable
by k_hettich / June 23, 2011 11:18 AM PDT

Thank you for your input. It was very useful, especially since I have seen that turntable elsewhere in my research.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.