Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Changing the color of gridlines in a table created in Word.

by bex716 / April 9, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

My table had varying line weights throughout, but I want to change the color of all the lines to the same color. Can I do this without going cell by cell?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing the color of gridlines in a table created in Word.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing the color of gridlines in a table created in Word.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same color to grid lines
by Papa Echo / April 9, 2007 11:30 PM PDT

Wnat colors are your grid lines(table border lines) at present ?
To change color, try:
Highlight the table. Then Format>Borders and Shading. Choose the color.

Collapse -
Table line color in word
by bex716 / April 10, 2007 12:15 AM PDT

The lines are currently black. I want to change all the lines, even though they are varying line weights to the blue. You suggestion does not work, I've already tried. Thanks!

Collapse -
My thoughts are to turn on Field Code display then search
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 12:58 AM PDT

And replace as need be. I don't have Word on my Linux box so I can't try that. I do know I've exported docs as RTF files and used code to change such in an automated system but that may be diving too deep.

WORD PIPE (or WORDPIPE) found with google.com may be a good tool to acquire if you do this too often.

Bob

Collapse -
but changing the RTF
by ChuckT / April 10, 2007 6:58 AM PDT

If you are exporting to an RTF file, then changing anything there, all you've got is the exported doc changed, and the original Excel file is not changed at all.

That doesn't sound like what he wants. But it is an interesting work-around.

Collapse -
(NT) oops!! sorry he was talking about a Word doc to begin with.
by ChuckT / April 10, 2007 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: but changing the RTF
Collapse -
So, if you export as RTF, and then
by ChuckT / April 10, 2007 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: but changing the RTF

are able to find and edit all the (Word RTF file) table line colors, it would be an easy job to then re-saving the RTF file back out as a Word .DOC file.

I wonder if the line colors of a table are easily found?

Collapse -
No experts required. Just edit the RTF. For example...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 8:16 AM PDT

With a little google I can find the RTF "spec" or language.

-22 \brdrcf<N> <N> is the color of the picture border from the
color table in the RTF header. This control
should follow the picture border controls \brdrt,
\brdrr, \brdrb, and \brdrl."

From http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/RTF-Spec-1.0.txt

We could then search and replace that with the color we wish either with a macro or code or any tool we wish.

Bob

Collapse -
One Question?
by darbhc / April 10, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

The lines mentioned do they relate to

1]
Word "Table of Cells [Using Insert Table]" or a "Word Data Base [Using Mail Merge]"

However you did mentioned "Grid Lines"??
The fact is that I feel you can only "Hide Gridlines" in a Word Data Base

Come back with a reply as I may be able to help?

Collapse -
answer to gridline question
by bex716 / April 10, 2007 9:15 PM PDT
In reply to: One Question?

Not really gridlines I guess, but all the lines in the Word table.

Collapse -
Then....
by Papa Echo / April 10, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

try reformating the border lines again to the color desired, since the cell border lines have been formated to different "points". It need not to be "cell by cell".

Collapse -
You might need a macro to walk through the table ...
by Kees Bakker / April 10, 2007 8:00 AM PDT

and do it cell by cell. You write that cell by cell works, so half of the work is done already.

Kees

Collapse -
can a macro read the current type & width on a line?
by ChuckT / April 10, 2007 8:56 AM PDT

If a macro can read the current type & width on a line, then changing the color of the line, while maintaining the current line weight and type, then I'd say a macro can do it.

That's because to change the color manually, you need to ensure you also maintain the current other line characteristics.

But I don't see how it can do that. I hope you can do so.

Collapse -
Re: macrp
by Kees Bakker / April 10, 2007 9:54 PM PDT

I can write VBA-code in Access fairly well, for Excel I'm a beginner and for Word I'm an absolute beginner. But I'm sure a macro can do it. It might be necessary to change the things that don't change into their old values, but that should be all.

Some don't like it, but the alternative to writing a macro is to do it manually. In this case you could make a new table in the right color, set the lines to the right thickness, then one by one copy/paste the contents. If it's not too big a table, it's a viable way to do it, maybe.

Kees

Collapse -
This May Help
by darbhc / April 10, 2007 10:30 PM PDT

To Change Cell Line Colours

1]
This may help In existing cells containing your Word data or of just newly Cells
2]
You may have to select a line or lines or a column or a batch of columns at start.
3]
To colour the complete Cell block = Tool Bar = Table = Table Folder = Table Properties = button - Borders and Shading = - Automatic [use dropdown arrow] = Select your colour =
4]
May have to customise to your requirements further by playing with under Settings the Icons - Non Box/All/Grid/Custom = ? [The centre preview box will show you the cell pattern]
5]
To only change the colour of one cell line or a complete cell line = Select part or all of the Cell Line or Cell Block = Tool Bar = Table = Table Properties = button - Borders and Shading = Automatic [use dropdown arrow]? choose your colour? = under - Setting ? play with the icons - Non/Box/All/Grid/Custom =]
6]
To further modify any of your the cells to your requirements use one of the 7 buttons around the Preview Box = -

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.