Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Changing mailto default from Outlook to Windows Live Mail

by hunghung1 / August 5, 2010 11:57 AM PDT

I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7. Does someone know how to change mailto default from Outlook to Windows Live Mail? Please give step to step instruction as I am no geek.

(My old laptop led me to Live Mail when I double clicked an email address. I don't remember what I did, if anything, to have that default. Maybe because the old laptop had MSN Explorer, which the new laptop doesn't have.)

Thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing mailto default from Outlook to Windows Live Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing mailto default from Outlook to Windows Live Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you clarify?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 9:06 PM PDT

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'mailto'.

Windows Live Mail is a software client that you can download and install onto your Windows 7 system. It's available from various web sites, including,

Once installed, you set up your email account and you are ready to start receiving and sending emails.

Is there some other problem you have?

Collapse -
Changing mailto default from Outlook to Windows Live Mail‏
by hunghung1 / August 5, 2010 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you clarify?

Now when I double click an email link, my MS Outlook opens (i.e. I am led to Outlook). This is the default setting.

I don't want to be led to Outlook. Rather I want to be led to Windows Live Mail. How can I change the default setting to Live Mail (this is what I mean by changing mailto default)?

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
I see.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 2:55 AM PDT

There's a couple of ways, but try this one.

With Windows Live Mail open, goto it's Options dialog, (that might be Tools > Options). Under the General tab locate the bottom section labelled "Default Messaging Program". Change the settings as you wish.

Collapse -
Didn't find "Default Messaging Program"
by hunghung1 / August 6, 2010 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I see.

Thanks for your response.

On Windows Live, I clicked Options>More options and saw

Manage your account
View and edit your personal information
Send and receive mail from other e-mail accounts
Forward mail to another e-mail account

Junk e-mail
Filters and reporting
Safe and blocked senders

Customize your mail
Choose a theme
Select language
Reading pane settings
Active View settings
Conversation settings
Personal e-mail signature
Change keyboard shortcuts
Save sent messages
Reply-to address
Manage rules
Windows Live Home settings

Customize your contacts
Clean up duplicate contacts
Display contacts as...
Import contacts
Export contacts

I also clicked on some of the above items to take a look. Nothing on "Default Messaging Program".

I also clicked IE's Tools>Internet Options>... Nothing on "Default Messaging Program".

Please advise.

Collapse -
Next option
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 9:10 PM PDT

Try Win 7's "Set default Programs".

Start bubble > Control Panel, then click the "Default Programs" icon. You may even have a direct link in the Start Menu for "Default Programs". Choose "Set your default programs". Look for Windows Live Mail and set it as default.

Another way.

In IE8, goto Tools > Internet Options. Click the Programs tab. Click the "Set programs" button under "Internet Programs".

In the new window, select "Set your default programs", look for Windows Live Mail in the list, and click the "Set this program as default".

Collapse -
Doesn't work
by hunghung1 / August 7, 2010 4:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Next option

Thanks for your reply.

I tried both and they lead to the same window. All the current defaults for .ml, .vcf, MAILTO, Send mail are already Live Mail and I can't even uncheck the boxes.

Is there another way?

Collapse -
Live Mail works after installling Live Ess; problem with Mes
by hunghung1 / August 7, 2010 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Next option

I just discovered that now double clicking on an email link leads me to Window Live Mail (but the page setup is more parsimonious than the regular Hotmail page that I am used to; the left column showing all the folders is missing, for example).

I think that is because yesterday I downloaded some of Live Essentials, including Messenger and Live Mail.

But now I have a problem with Messenger. Please see Can you help with this new issue?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.