Tablets forum

General discussion

Changing country for Apps store on iPad

by OswaldRHall / April 13, 2010 6:52 PM PDT

Does anybody know how I can reset the country location for the Apps store on iPad?

I have several iTunes accounts for the different countries that I spend long assignments in. After opening the App Store application on my iPad, I inadvertently logged into a non-US iTunes account and got the error message that the Apps Store for iPad is not supported in that country. I logged out of that account with the view to logging into my US iTunes account. However, every time I start the App store application, I keep getting the same error message and the application quits immediately after that, giving me no opportunity to change country back to the US.

Got a lot of applications on my shopping list to buy for the iPad but no way of getting back to the US Apps store....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changing country for Apps store on iPad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changing country for Apps store on iPad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm having the same issue
by sadiakhanasd / April 15, 2010 11:31 AM PDT

Were you able to fix the problem?

Collapse -
Here's the solution
by OswaldRHall / April 15, 2010 3:20 PM PDT

Go to your home screen. Select SETTINGS.

Inside SETTINGS, Go to Store -> View Account -> Change Country. Change the country location back to US. If you don't yet have a US iTunes account, you will be taken to a registration page to open one. Even if you choose not to proceed and hit CANCEL, your iPad Apps Store location will have been re-set back to the US (which, by the way, is the only Apps Store that currently supports the iPad).

Collapse -
by sadiakhanasd / April 15, 2010 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's the solution

Thanks a lot! Got it to work and am able to download from the US store:)

Collapse -
This works BUT
by chinajon / October 2, 2012 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's the solution

When you go to settings you can find "Change location.'
Even if it is where you want it, click 'Change location' anyway and go through the process.
You will have to agree to the terms, and give the proper credit card security code.
When you go back, you will be in the right store.

At least that is what happened to me.

Collapse -
Change store country on my iPad
by Uschackermann / January 29, 2013 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: This works BUT

I tried to use the two options offered, but the locations indicated to me in this threaddo ot appear on my iPad. So both advises are no good to me, because it do not find the recommended places on my iPad. I have no "change location" nor a "go to store" setting. Is there another place to go to? This apperas to be a rather illy way of dealing with stores. Why Hoyle it be so difficult? I never visited the South African store, it is pretty new. So who decided that I should uhr chase from the iStore in SA?

Collapse -
Stupid, staid, stupid
by WyndhamClampett / January 31, 2013 5:14 AM PST

Why is it so difficult - perhaps impossible even - to chane the store (country) using the iPad?

The suggestions made below are not available on v6.1

Collapse -
This is a suggestion below.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Stupid, staid, stupid

And I only can see above.

As the makers want to exert more control and well, sorry for the discontinuous post, the problem is pretty big.

That is, if a book/video/sound is licensed in some country it can't be sold in the store in another country and the penalties are pretty stiff if you allowed some free speech video loose in a Anihc country. So they've made it hard to change on purpose and don't want to make it easy.

So there's the rub. If you allowed such changes then installed apps, videos and more would have to be gone over to see if there is any license issue.

-> And imagine the responses if such causes content the user installed to vanish.

Collapse -
Ver 6.1 solution
by Markolodeon / January 31, 2013 10:41 AM PST

What worked for me:

Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> Turn on iTunes Match

At this point it complained I wasn't in the US App Store and then switched me back to US. Never again will I try to buy a song exclusive to UK iTunes! Very strange they didn't test for this, one way doors are not cool!

Collapse -
another solution
by edipekel / February 1, 2013 5:04 PM PST
In reply to: Ver 6.1 solution

simply turn off your ipad, and on again after an update of ther io version

Collapse -
Changing store on iPad 3 updated to iOS 6.1
by Dubdubdub99 / February 2, 2013 2:12 AM PST

Hi,help please! No e of your suggestions work on my iPad.

Has anyone changed their store on the above iPad?

Collapse -
Changing stores is easy with a work around...
by Martindicko / February 4, 2013 6:39 AM PST

I have found that I can change stores at will by using Safari to take me to an app which is only available in the right country. Tv stations are the easiest. Google Sky+ app and follow the link to the app for the UK store, HBO app lets me switch to US store, etc.

Collapse -
log out then back in
by hearnpa / February 6, 2013 12:44 AM PST

hi all
at the bottom of the app store page there is a sign out option. just sign out then back in, and the ios will redirect you to your default store... i just discovered this after 30 mins of messing around! wow, it's complicated!
hope it helps

Collapse -
This worked for me
by Esstudney / February 9, 2013 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: log out then back in

Very complicated way to fix the problem. Not sure hoe the setting changed to start with. Must be an apple bug

Collapse -
Change store country on my iPad
by lkorzilius / February 17, 2013 7:32 AM PST

If you go to Home screen, then into Settings, then go into iTunes & App Store.
Double-tap on the top bit where it says Apple ID: [your email address]
This will bring up your account, and it allows you to change the country.
My country (UK) showed correctly, but I re-confirmed the country and went through the several steps to save it.
After that, the iPad worked correctly for downloading updates to previously purchased Apps

Collapse -
Changing app on iPad 6.1 IOS
by Dubdubdub99 / February 17, 2013 9:53 AM PST

I signed out and in again under iTunes in settings on iPad with 6.1 and it worked! A great relief!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.