Site Feedback forum

Changes to Downloads - cbs interactive (whats up with this!)

by toddoftemecula / August 9, 2011 5:01 PM PDT

I download programs like ccleaner and malwarebytes on a daily basis and have used preferred to use cnet as well and recommend it to my clients.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Changes to Downloads - cbs interactive (whats up with this!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Changes to Downloads - cbs interactive (whats up with this!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: Changes to Downloads

Thank you for your feedback.

When you initiate the download,you will encounter a single offer for additional 3rd-party software, which is clearly disclosed and provides the option to accept or decline the offer before proceeding with the download. We only show offers for software that is approved for listing on CNET If you do not wish to use the CNET Installer, we provide a link to the direct HTTP download URL below the main "Download Now" button. You need to be logged in as a CNET member to use this link.

CNET Technical Support

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply. But...
by toddoftemecula / August 10, 2011 4:21 PM PDT

While I understand your explanation and solution to how to avoid the 3rd-party software, this solution is not good enough to allow me to recommend cnet downloads for my clients.

<div>I have for years relied upon cnet and as a download location source for my less than technically adept clients who need an easy to use location to download wonderful and easy to use software.
To force them to either create and account and login or download a 3rd party downloaded that defaults to install a toolbar is unacceptable.

Collapse -
This is a load of crap!!!
by 1leenie / September 5, 2011 12:45 PM PDT

I have been going to for several years. I never had a problem until i had to wipe my pc!!!!!!!!!! Guess what? I had to manually delete 13 cbs interactive downloaders from my downloads file!!!!!!!!!!! And turn down 13 toolbars, and my search engine being changed when installing each of the programs. What a pain! You have sincerely MESSED up a good thing and will lose a lot of customers. I tried to download the new dx ball. My Avast says there is a ROOTKIT attached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmm guess it ain't your Daddy's ANYMORE. Too bad for CBS interactive. I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW AND I POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know they ain't gonna do anything about this. HOW ABOUT A DISCLAIMING VIDEO GREG?... Didn't think so.

Collapse -
Um, not quite...
by buxtahuda / August 16, 2011 10:55 PM PDT

"When you initiate the download,you will encounter a single offer for additional 3rd-party software, which is clearly disclosed and provides the option to accept or decline the offer before proceeding with the download."

Collapse -
by mstickler / August 19, 2011 5:06 PM PDT

The CBS Interactive downloader is unnecessary.

Collapse -
Vendors need a way to opt-out
by jeremy.collake / August 20, 2011 8:11 AM PDT

If you guys want to do this, that's fine -- I believe the short term revenue won't make up for the permanent hit your reputation will take, but that is YOUR business.

Collapse -
And btw...
by jeremy.collake / August 20, 2011 8:21 AM PDT

I neglected to mention, I did have to remove links to your site, as my company prides itself in NOT having bundles. Your change in policy hurt our reputation and possibly caused a loss in sales. I was not happy, especially as a paying vendor.

Collapse -
They won't
by TWB404 / August 20, 2011 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: And btw...

I think you and mstickler are beating a dead horse. CNET must be struggling in this economic environment and have decided to introduce spying on there user and installing toolbars to up the bottom line for a brief period of time before they have no one but newbies who's AV does not alert them to this secure installer. Check out this link and look at how the moderator tries to lay the blame on the toolbar being install, his home page and search engined changed on a web site he visited.

It is clear by what the user type that the changes took place before he visited the web page and it was the changes that caused him to visit the page. The moderator uses WOT as his reference for saying the site is unsafe and caused his problems. I looked up the site using three of the top AV companies and all three said the site was safe. I was not sitting at the user puter when these things happened so I can say for certain what happen but it is my believe his problems were caused by CNET secure installer.

The worst part of it is that the moderator wanted me to start another post so he could clean up that one. Clean up what. The fact that I used 3 of the top AV companies to rate the site the moderator blamed for the problem and all he could find was WOT. If your not familiar with WOT it is a site that is not affiliated with any AV companies and they rate sites by how users vote on them. I will let you decide which one you would trust.

Then to make matters worst he accused me of hacking the post. All I was trying to do is point out that 3 top rated AV companies rated the site the user went to was safe and I did not think that it was the site but the CNET secure downloader that install a toolbar and change his home page and search engine.

By referencing WOT and blaming a web site for the problems demonstrates just how locked in they are to this new revenue generator and they really do not care if we go else where.

Collapse -
by jeremy.collake / August 20, 2011 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: They won't

Well, you can rest assured that vendors and users will be leaving in droves. Decisions like this have consequences.

Collapse -
The MyWOT guys are going to tear you a new...
by jeremy.collake / August 20, 2011 10:59 PM PDT

Whenever someone reports this new Installer Bundler (the same thing rogue download sites do) at the MyWOT forums, your rating is going to plummet. I'm not going to be the one to do it, but someone will... Just wait and see. NOBODY WANTS THESE DARN BUNDLES! NOBODY! It does not matter how safe what is bundled is, or if the user can uncheck them at install. Nobody wants them, and sites that do this are traditionally classified as malware.

Collapse -
Who are you kidding?
by bigjuliefromchicago / August 22, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

The new crapware wrapper is an offensive time waster. Clear enough?

Collapse -
by lmanlo09 / August 24, 2011 3:31 AM PDT

I'm am with all, I've been using Cnet for years nearly around the year 2000. I downloaded a program yesterday to see this pop up, I should have canceled and should have gone to the developers site but I uncheck everything and decline the extra installations, So goes through the steps the installation came in and to what I saw, my whole internet went slow on my quad i7, 6GB, 750GB 7200rpm, AMD 6770m computer when the other computers where going fast. So I had to restore the computer to last weekend restore point lossing some programs that where given for one day.
So I won't be coming back to cnet because of this and won't recommend and would tell most customers and friends not to use cnet for their downloads.

Collapse -
I was logged into CNET when trying to download a game...
by 1leenie / August 28, 2011 5:03 AM PDT

The installer is attached to nearly every download! Why push the StartNow Toolbar, and make Bing my default search engine AND make MSN my homepage? If the installers actually went into temporary files they would be deleted by most cleanup programs. The installers gather up in the downloads file and have to be MANUALLY removed. Don't like the installers for that reason. I have yet to find the link to the direct HTTP download URL below the main "Download Now" button. It's just not there.

Collapse -
Just adding onto previous post....
by 1leenie / October 1, 2011 6:54 AM PDT

Has anyone noticed how much longer it takes to open this web page? It doesn't look any different, but I'm sure there is more coming into our pc's than meets the eye...I did avoid the "wrapper" and find the direct download link AFTER LOGGING IN.

Collapse -
by dj_erik / December 5, 2011 10:06 PM PST

I hope you guys know exactly what you are doing. Your software installers are now being marked as Malware, and there is considerable discussion of your tactics by both the OSS community and now by NANOG. I personally don't use your download site, but this is starting to get discussed now on bigger venues.

Collapse -
This is a misguided decision
by misguideddecision / May 1, 2012 8:23 AM PDT

You've got a lot of tech folks who look to C/Net for a source of good, clean downloads with really useful information. A lot of us provide tech support services for many customers, and quite frankly, we're on other's computers more often that we're on our own. Up until this change, I've been able to quickly navigate to C/Net, grab some trusted content, install it on a customer PC, and many a problems were solved.

This new step in the download process stinks. I don't want an intermediate step in the process, I don't want a special search bar, I don't want to have to login to bypass this crappy download option. I'm not going to login to C/Net on every client computer I access just to download the software I originally wanted without being nagged to install some stupid search bar. In my opinion, you're eroding the good-will you've built with techies by trying to sneak in a search bar we don't want. If we wanted it, we would have searched for it. Until recently, if C/Net was in the search results, we'd have come here to download it.

I agree with others, until this is changed, I'll simply stop coming to this site. It's not worth the trouble when other sites offer what we want without making us jump through these steps. You're deluding yourself if you think this is a service that helps your community. It doesn't - it's an opportunity to make money off people who accidentally install the 3rd party app. I'm ok with making money - I'm a small business owner myself. I hate feeling like I'm being tricked into something I don't want.

Note, I created an account JUST to reply to this. Other than updates to this thread, I'll likely not be back at C/Net.

Collapse -
Please Please Please
by TWB404 / May 1, 2012 11:13 AM PDT

Someone pinch me and wake me up and the CNET installer be just a nightmare.

Collapse -
by cnetdownloaderhate / May 26, 2012 8:20 AM PDT

Some tech support you are, all you do is go around defending adware. Why don't you do some actual technical support and FIX this problem?

Collapse -
I too Hate the Download installer CNET
by PCbetter / December 26, 2012 11:53 PM PST

CNET makes it a big green button which tricks you to think its the program itself, instead its an installer that puts an icon on the desktop and redirects sometimes........ I used to stay at Cnet and read articles and look at ads now I try to avoid software at CNET to download just because of the installer.

Do you not know its not Windows 8 friendly? Who wants a new tile with download installers?

Really CNET this stinks

Collapse -
by TravisLegatzke / January 18, 2013 4:26 PM PST

I did a custom download and unchecked your bloated software and your STUPID downloader STILL INSTALLED IT.. THATS BS! Now it wont uninstall either. I WILL NEVER READ YOUR ARTICLES OR CLICK ON YOUR ADS UNLESS YOU FIX THIS NOW. THATS JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

Collapse -
I hate this change too
by imho__ / August 10, 2011 5:17 AM PDT

I think we all should tell CNet that we hate this change and want things back the way they used to be.

Collapse -
Maybe I'm missing something
by oldad1955 / August 15, 2011 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I hate this change too

I just completed a download and installation of a program I need from the download section and I saw no mention of any 'CBS Interactive' tool during the download Or the subsequent installation of the program. The install process from the program itself offered numerous options for add-ons that I declined. Maybe I've already installed it from a previous download but if so, it causes no changes that I can see. Exactly what is the programs function? Regardless, THANK YOU CNET for years of free , dependable online support and FREE access to numerous useful programs!

Collapse -
Agree with the thank you.
by toddoftemecula / August 15, 2011 4:38 AM PDT

Try downloading ccleaner and see if you get the extra stuff I am talking about.

Collapse -
Some programs not yet updated with the wrapped bundle
by jeremy.collake / August 20, 2011 11:01 PM PDT

Only programs that have been updated SINCE the change in policy have the new wrapper. So, whenever program X is next updated, it will get the wrapper.

Collapse -
Not true
by Kyanar / August 22, 2011 12:10 PM PDT

My own product has been updated with this "wrapper", and has not been updated since July. Nevertheless, I sent Cnet a strongly worded demand to remove my product from

Collapse -
Congratulations on ditching cnet
by cnetdownloaderhate / May 22, 2012 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Not true

I want to thank you for being honest and true to your users and ditching cnet.

Collapse -
What I have always done
by TWB404 / August 15, 2011 2:13 AM PDT

Ever since was bought by CNET and CNET was bought by CBS, I have used the site for research and to get reviews which those I take with a grain of salt. The user reviews can be trusted to a point, the paid for reviews done by the CNET staff I read but never take that serious. If and when you find a program you like go to the developers site and download it from there. You have to click thru a couple of windows to find it but it is there and you can trust not to get any extra ad ware with it except what the developers have included.

Collapse -
by jeremy.collake / August 20, 2011 11:00 PM PDT

LOL, that is true, the editorial reviews have gotten laughable. They used to be good, but now.. anyway, with this bundler, it is all over. Let's just move on. They made their decision.

Collapse -
by humblejerome / August 22, 2011 5:19 PM PDT
In reply to: True

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I have been using for years, I use to send my friends here ,but not any more , I will be downloading for from now on.

Collapse -
CBS Installer CRAP
by RubberDawg / August 28, 2011 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: True

The most annoying thing is the way this has been foisted on us unsuspecting users, treating us like a bunch of idiots !!!

Canceling my account. Goodbye CNET Thanks for the memories.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.