Storage forum

General discussion

Change Size of Hard Drive Partition?

by jrstriker12 / June 24, 2006 3:51 PM PDT

I partioned my hard drive into two with one partition being about 30 gigs and the other parttion being about 270 gigs. Since the smaller partition is where all the windows stuff resides, including the program folder, I am finding that this smaller partition is quickly running out of space.

Is there a way to make that first partiton bigger with out having to take everything off my hard drive?

I am also afraid to move some of the program folders as I fear moving the folder will disable some of the programs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Change Size of Hard Drive Partition?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Change Size of Hard Drive Partition?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 2 issues or answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2006 11:18 PM PDT

1. Partition Magic does this.

2. Be careful about what OS CD you have. Windows XP can't repair boot partitions over 127GB. Imagine the poor soul that expanded a partition over that and needed to do what would have been a small repair?

Bob

Collapse -
Bob should I partition any disk over 127 gb ?
by unomix / June 30, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

Your statement has me wondering if I should plan on partitioning my 160 gb hdds to keep the operating systems on less than 127 gb partition should a repair ever become necessary.
How often and under what circumstance is a partition repair necessary ?
At the moment I have two computers with 160 gb hdd with no partitions and am now worried if this is a problem waiting to happen.
What size partition do you recommend for the OS ?

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
Depends on your OS CD. For example...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2006 12:17 AM PDT

If I owned nothing but a XP CD, this CD can't repair the OS if I expanded it past 127GB (more details at http://www.48bitlba.com )

If I owned the XP SP1 or XP SP2 CD then I would not limit myself.

-> Another downside to plain XP CDs is that some create a second partition past the 127GB limitation (which works after you apply SP1/SP2) and the day comes they have to reload XP. PANIC ensues as the other partition vanishes.

Don't panic in that situation but apply SP1 or SP2 to regain access to the other partitions. Imagine the poor soul that attempts to repair this situation before SP1/SP2 is applied. They usually lose it all.

Hope this helps to shed light on this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Changing Partitions
by GBTrevor / July 1, 2006 8:47 PM PDT

I dislike using any utility to merge partitions (this only achieved by pretending they are one!) as this can cause more trouble when things go wrong and you are trying to recover the HD!
I find that most of my clients with problems with HD's being nearly full is not with Programs and Windows files but with the ammount of Data they have stored (Doc's, Pics, Music etc). On this basis it is easily resolved by moving your own files to the larger partition and leaving the smaller (C: Drive) purely for Windows and Programs, this works well for me!

Collapse -
Use Disk Director
by Noizxland / June 27, 2006 5:27 PM PDT

hi there
not sure in partition magic, but
Acronis disk director can easily do that.
it's cheaper and has more features then Partition magic has.
i'm using it and am very glad of it.

Collapse -
Partition Magic
by T0mD / June 29, 2006 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Use Disk Director

I did the same thing recently with Partition Magic.
It was really quite easy to do and I was able to get Partition Magic quite reasonably on Ebay.

Collapse -
Another way
by ConQuer0r / June 30, 2006 12:05 AM PDT

I've used Partition Majic for years. Good choice. No experience with the other, so no opinion.

However, consider another method. It IS more hassle, but you'll have a better system when done.

Best practices suggests installing only system-related software (OS, AntiVirus, hardware drivers, etc.) on the C: partition. This partition also should not be over 8-12 GB. All other software (Office, games, etc.) should be installed in a different partition, which can be as large as you want or need. Have a third partition (the really large one) for non-program files, such as pictures, music, videos, etc.

To reinstall the software you'll likely need any license keys that came with them, as well as the CDs.

Shrink the really large partition by 50-70GB (or more). Take that 60GB (or so) partition and format it, preferably with NTFS. Install ALL future programs into it.

Also, consider uninstalling any non-system-related software (see above) from C: and reinstalling it to the new partition. Once done, you should defrag the C: partition then shrink it (if possible - Partition Magic can do this) to some smaller size. Add that extra space to your new Game (or whatever) partition.

Defrag the partitions once you're done.

Collapse -
installer packages
by trenthall / June 30, 2006 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Another way

I think your thoughts on partitions are on target, BUT I have run into a problem with that in actual practice. Maybe you can help me.
I bought a low end Acer notebook about a year ago that has a 40gig HD partioned basically 50/50.
I've installed everything possible on the "D" partition but my business requires some packages that do not offer an option to install to anything other than the "C" drive.

Microsoft Office 2003 SMBIZ takes up a lot of space, as do numerous security upgrades, etc. etc.

Net result is that I have less than 2gig free on the C drive now; and fear that I need to set aside a LOT of time to format and reinstall a large number of programs, configure etc.

Got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Trent

Collapse -
Another option
by SpamFighter / June 30, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

30G should be plenty to run any OS. What you might want to consider is redirecting some of the stuff that thinks it must be in the same partition with OS, but could work just as well in a different partition, often better. You should re-locate "My Documents" to a different partition if at all possible. It's easy to do: In explorer, right-click mydocuments folder & select properties at bottom of menu. You'll see the target location and a button allowing you to move it. I would suggest creating a folder on the larger partition especially for redirecting the mydocuments to. I do this on all my computers now after having a major crash on a win98 machine that only provided the the oem repair cd. The only way to recover the os was to reinstall and loose everything that was stored under the windows folder. If you move your documents default location to a separate partition, it will be safe even if you needed to reformat your boot partition! (just remember to change the target directory after a reinstall before you start adding in new documents). You can also install many programs from the other partition, or even another physical drive, but if you remove the drive without uninstalling the programs, you will not be able to uninstall and will have to use a registry cleaner. I believe you can even change the target for temp files & temporary internet files to another drive, but I prefer to delete them regularly.

If you still wish to use Partion Magic, it works but can destroy your data. Be sure to back up both partitions first. I've resized several partions with it. Some worked perfectly while others scrambled my files and destroyed them.

Collapse -
moving my documents folder
by trenthall / June 30, 2006 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Another option

Thanks for the idea; I hadn't thought of that. That at least is a quick way to get some of the stuff off of that drive!!

trent

Collapse -
Disk Cleanup
by pareinai / June 30, 2006 12:52 AM PDT

The steps mentioned below are intended to free hard drive space occupied by unnecessary and junk files.

Please click on

Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> Disk Cleanup

The ''Disk Cleanup'' window should popup and calculate the amount of space you would be able to make free.

NOTE: The process would consume time depending on the data available in your laptop. Please be patient.

After the ''Disk Cleanup'' window has calculated the space, it would popup the ''Disk Cleanup for Local Disk (C:)'' window. Please click on the ''Disk Cleanup'' tab on the top left-hand-side of the window. Now check all the boxes in the column ''files to delete:''. and then click on ''OK''.

NOTE: The process would consume time depending on the data available in your laptop. Please be patient.

If the issue, is not resolved please contact me

herald_thomas@hotmail.com

Collapse -
disk cleanup
by trenthall / June 30, 2006 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Disk Cleanup

I run the disk cleanup on each partitiion several times per week.... and it helps a little.

Thanks for the reminder.

Trent

Collapse -
Here is my suggestion
by Dobby / June 30, 2006 5:23 AM PDT

Seems like you have a single 300gig harddrive...use Acronis to copy info. on main drive to DVD(s)...then, format drive and partition into one 60gig main drive (more than enough for any OS and programs), plus two 120gig drives (well below 127gig max). When formatting is complete, reinstall OS and programs using DVD(s).

This will also make defragging a lot easier...can't imagine trying to defrag a 270gig drive! Good luck.

Collapse -
defrag
by jeepster / June 30, 2006 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Here is my suggestion

Why not try Ashampoo's Magic Defrag. It defrags all drives when not in use and stops when your using the pc. Works Great!

Collapse -
There should be a way w/o shareware software...
by ackmondual / July 7, 2006 4:47 AM PDT

there should be a way to expand the 30GB into bigger so that it cuts into the rest of the 270GB one. Just make sure you have at least that amount of free space on the 2nd partition, else things won't work.

I could swear I remember doing something like this through using only winXP's free utilities when I repartitioned my 160GB from 127GB + 53GB to the full 160. This was when I initially had winXP w/o SP1 or higher. I'll post back if i can recall how to do it.

Collapse -
This is my opinion!
by stuman007 / August 21, 2006 7:11 PM PDT

it is very simple to extend the size of your partition with out removing or moving the data to any where else, i suggest you that you have to use a third party programmm for this the name of the program is POWER QUEST PARTITION MAGIC 9.0 this software will be the best selection for this solution
O.K.
Sajeel Ali

Collapse -
Red ur Post. To many replies here is one more
by Noizxland / August 21, 2006 9:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Partitioning automatically changed
by truepharaoh / September 30, 2006 5:53 AM PDT

My hard drive (60 GB) came partitioned as 20 and 40 GB. I noticed recently that C became only 16 GB and D became 44 GB. The only thing I remember doing is moving some files from C to D. Why did the paratitioning change?

Collapse -
I found out the hard way
by breezin1001 / September 30, 2006 8:21 PM PDT

I have the answer for you IF YOU LIVE IN LONDON.
Contact me at breezin1001@yahoo.co.uk

Collapse -
money better spent
by crapwacker / February 25, 2008 6:56 PM PST

I have went a different way. With the low cost of hard drives, buy a new drive, format and partition it. PCI or USB devices that allow you to connect two drives can be had for little money as well. Copy the info from the current drive to the new one, and use the old drive for storage. No data corruption.

Collapse -
Disk management
by Noizxland / March 5, 2008 11:12 PM PST

Win built in utility...
Free, quite easy-in-use....

Collapse -
Change Size of Hard Drive Partition
by Andreas G. Kaparnos / March 27, 2008 8:56 PM PDT

Hi!
My laptop is a Travelmade 2702 LMi with Pentium 4 processor, 40 Gb hard disc which is devided into two 20 Gb partitions. I want to change the partition sizes so that I will nave a biger main partition Please advise me how to do it

Collapse -
See first reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 9:29 PM PDT

"Partition Magic does this."

Collapse -
Another mentioned thing
by Noizxland / April 2, 2008 5:59 AM PDT

disk management.

Or i'd recommend Disk Director rather than Partition Magic.

Collapse -
drive partition
by DanielH / March 28, 2008 10:07 AM PDT

I installed Windows 2000 on a new 500 gb drive, and found after installation that w2k only reads up to 130 gb. I removed the drive, installed a 100 gb drive and set up w2k on it without problem. I connected the 500 gb drive to a computer with XP and formatted it; now it's clean, but either computer still only recognizes it as 130 gb. I thought formatting removed everything, including partitions, but in this case it appears not to be the case. How can I remove the effect of the partitioning?

Collapse -
Later versions (not sure which SP) do support
by VAPCMD / March 28, 2008 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: drive partition

partitions greater than 137GB.

The other issue is your MB BIOS.

You can read more at 48bitlba.com

VAPCMD

Collapse -
That should be noted at...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2008 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: drive partition
http://www.48bitlba.com

Microsoft has not removed the install limit of 127GB from Windows 2000. This is not a bug but a limitation. After you install SP4 you can use the rest of the space for other drive letters.
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.